I've really no idea what I'm looking for in a chorus pedal (and pedals in general) so have come to seek the wisdom of the UG masses.

I'm after a chorus pedal for songs like Enter Sandman and No More Lies/brave new world (I think thats a bit chorus and other things in the intros).

If anyone can recommend some to look at, point to some good online info about pedals in general and let me know whether i want it in the fx loop or out front (I assume out front) that would be great.
Personally, I found that my Deluxe Electric Mistress (a flanger) gives a much more lush and complex chorusing effect than most dedicated chorus pedals I've played. Chorus and flanger are almost the same thing although I'm not exactly sure... something with the rate of oscillation. I use it out front, because I have a parallel effects loop and the DEM lacks a mix knob. You have to experiment with your setup.

So look at EH Deluxe Electric Mistress and a Small Clone

But both of those are very dense. For a lighter chorus you need on e with a mix and depth control.
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps
Last edited by Chris Schementi at Dec 19, 2011,
Quote by Chris Schementi
Personally, I found that my Deluxe Electric Mistress (a flanger) gives a much more lush and complex chorusing effect than most dedicated chorus pedals I've played. Chorus and flanger are almost the same thing although I'm not exactly sure... something with the rate of oscillation. I use it out front, because I have a parallel effects loop and the DEM lacks a mix knob. You have to experiment with your setup.

So look at EH Deluxe Electric Mistress and a Small Clone

Flanging used to be done by recording the signal onto a tape, and then slowly running a tape reader head along the tape, then mixing that with the original signal, essentially you're hearing a slowed down version of the signal on top of the original. Chorus is similar but the slowed signal is modulated, and not as slow.

EDIT: Forgot my recs

For $100, the MXR M-234 is a pretty decent chorus pedal, very tweakable and versatile but it isn't true bypass and apparently has a fair amount of tone suck.

Cheaper than that are the EHX Nano and Small clones, which are also very good, and a lot simpler to use (one knob and a switch). This can be a positive or negative depending on what you want from it.

If you go used, for around $100 you can find Boss CE-3's, which are pretty decent (older Boss pedals tend to be better), and if you're really lucky you can get a CE-2.
Last edited by Dan_5893 at Dec 19, 2011,
Thanks for the recs, pls keep them coming.

So am i right in saying i want true bypass? Is it worth getting hung up on that?

the mxr micro looks to be true bypass and simple to use.
the boss CH 1 and CE5 I cant see anyhitng stating whther they're true bypass or not

I'd like to spend <£100 GBP but will go a little over if I have to
True Bypass isn't necessarily a good or bad thing. If, when the pedal is off, you want it to seem like there is nothing between the guitar and amp, go for true bypass. Otherwise buffered bypass works fine.
The Zakk Wylde chorus suggested earlier is great with the dirty channel of an amp. It just adds a very nice thickness to the tone.
The Zakk Wylde chorus and MXR234 are the same pedal with a different paint job. They are really warm and sound great for $100. But as someone else said, it does suck tone. Its not very noticeable on clean or crunch channels. But with a lot gain on the lead channel of my amp it seems to suck my high frequencies when its turned off.

Having a true bypass loop will solve that problem. I think everyone should have a bypass loop anyway, makes it easier to run whatever you want without dealing with having an extremely long signal path but since you don't know a lot about pedals I'm going to assume that's not an ideal situation for you.

I think the MXR134 stereo chorus is true bypass, costs about $160 though. I've heard good things about the MXR micro chorus and EHX small clone, as well as the TC Electronics Corona chorus, But I don't have any experience with them. Check out youtube clips of a bunch of different choruses and than read reviews and most importantly test whatever you can before you buy.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Dec 19, 2011,
Old school Ibanez CS-9 is my favorite. Warm and analogue sounding.
I'm quite fond of the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus. Check it out. It's simple, but sounds quite nice.
Quote by cGoEcYk
Old school Ibanez CS-9 is my favorite. Warm and analogue sounding.

Or the Ibanez SC-10.
The zack wylde one looks good but if i can id rather avoid paying to have someone's name on something. A bit putoff by the mention of tone suck (not sure how noticeable it'd be).
the mxr stero is more than id like to pay in the UK @ £140
TC looks good but again possibly a little more than Id want to pay - I'm just looking for something home use.
the mxr micro is probably top of the lsit at the mo based on the bypass and the simplicity. I think theres a lot to be said for simplicity
yeah maybe a bit too much.

Looking at the ehx ones there the small clone and the small clone neo - any views on whats best?
Waht about the boss ones?
Tonerider Superlush Chorus.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
FAB chorus baby. $15 bucks. haha.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by telemetal
I'm quite fond of the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus. Check it out. It's simple, but sounds quite nice.
+1. This or the H20. Easily the most lush and smooth sounding Chorus pedals I've ever played. Get a used V1, the V2 one is nowhere near as good as the original.
I think based on an evening with utoob and beer
I've a shortlist of:
MXR BLS ~ £70 (or the M234 for an extra £15 if I dont want ZWs name on it)
MXR Micro ~ £64
EHX Small Clone ~£55
Ehx Neo @ £49
Boss CE-1 or -5 ~£80

Music I play - Metallica and Maiden. These should be ok, right?

I think at the moment its between the cheapie EHX and the zack wilde pedal
Quote by whyze250f
The Zakk Wylde chorus and MXR234 are the same pedal with a different paint job. They are really warm and sound great for $100. But as someone else said, it does suck tone. Its not very noticeable on clean or crunch channels. But with a lot gain on the lead channel of my amp it seems to suck my high frequencies when its turned off.

Having a true bypass loop will solve that problem. I think everyone should have a bypass loop anyway, makes it easier to run whatever you want without dealing with having an extremely long signal path but since you don't know a lot about pedals I'm going to assume that's not an ideal situation for you.

I think the MXR134 stereo chorus is true bypass, costs about $160 though. I've heard good things about the MXR micro chorus and EHX small clone, as well as the TC Electronics Corona chorus, But I don't have any experience with them. Check out youtube clips of a bunch of different choruses and than read reviews and most importantly test whatever you can before you buy.

i think wylde uses different circuitry than the standard mxr chorus but i may be wrong
Quote by andrerist
i think wylde uses different circuitry than the standard mxr chorus but i may be wrong

I talked to a guy at a very reptuable shop. The kind of shop before he orders Custom shop gibsons he gets serial #'s and a photo of the guitar and chooses them based on how well the finish is done. I love that shop just wish I had money to get one of those gibsons. Guy stocks some of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen.

He spoke with the MXR rep and the rep told him they are identical. It may have been on another board but I know someone else has clarified this by emailing MXR.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Dec 19, 2011,
i think the wylde would be great for u because it really adds a lot to ur sound especially wen ur using it with distortion. it just makes for a really nice, full and warm sound (due to its analog nature). the thing just sounds absolutely great
Thanks folks

I had one of those weaker moments and have ordered the ehx single clone based on reviews, clips from utoob and the lack of buttons. The hope being i spend less time twiddling and more time playing...
You won't be disappointed. Based on what you've said, it seems as if you want to try out chorus to make sure it's something you want anyway. The EHX choruses are decent pedals for the money. Enjoy it dude