Ok, so I'm 17 and in my first band which I've been part of for 2 years. I came in as a rhythm guitarist but within about 5 minutes of our first practice I became singer too. There's me on guitar and vocals, Greg on guitar, Steve on bass and Phil on drums. In 2 years of being a band we've done about 16 gigs, every single one with the exact same set because no-one else is willing to even practice, every time I mention booking a practice room or even organising something at my house to practice, Steve ALWAYS says "we know the set well enough already, we don't need to practice". In fairness Greg's not always the most financially well off and of course if he can't afford to practice a week here or there I can't complain since it's not his fault, but when we haven't practiced since February and we gig once a month or so it's a bit of a problem.

Right, practice annoyances out of the way, on to actual performances. We played a gig about 5 days ago (without practicing of course) and stumbled through it as always, and since we use 2 tunings (one dropped, one not, like standard and drop D) and I needed to bring my Floyd-equipped guitar to that gig I couldn't play the dropped songs so I just sang them instead. The others said this was fine and for one gig they would survive. After the gig Greg's girlfriend came up to me while we're packing our gear away and said "for the last 2 songs (the ones in drop tunings) we couldn't hear Greg at all because you were too loud" bearing in mind I wasn't even playing this confused me a bit but whatever, I didn't want to cause any trouble so I agreed that next gig I would turn down and would tell Greg to turn up.

Steve, the bassist, is obsessed with playing video games instead of practicing (we all like video games to be fair, but me, Greg and Phil practice our instruments as well as play games) and he insists that "we sound good enough already" even though we don't rehearse AT ALL before a gig, we just turn up and play. Every single show we do one of us slips up at least once. A few times before it's been me too so I can't say it's just the others, but I know that if we even once practiced we'd be 10 times better without even trying. It doesn't help that Greg and I want to play more technical (think Justice for All era Metallica) music, while Steve is happy just hitting an open C# every quaver beat with a cymbal hit. In fact, 3 of his 4 songs start with this.

It seems like every week one of us has a "band argument" even though outside of it we remain friends before and after like nothing happened. These arguments are often about what direction we want to go in, what songs we should cover, that kind of stuff, and they always end in a stalemate. After about a year gigging playing nothing but covers we decided we would try our hand at writing our own things, with varying degrees of success. Our drummer (Phil) writes the most but almost everything he writes is a direct rip-off of something else, so we obviously can't play it or we'd be accused of plagiarism, while Greg hardly writes at all bar a 4 bar phrase here and there, being more concerned about having a 75 minute solo-section of every song so he can show off. I don't have a problem with him wanting a chance to solo, he can do it well, so if he wants to solo and amaze people that's fine, it's just that these massive sections of solos he writes have the exact same rhythm section behind them in every single song and it gets so boring playing C#-E-C# for 4 or 5 minutes while he shreds away using the same pentatonic 3 note patterns in every song. Every solo he plays is the same 3 note pattern followed by a held-on bend followed by a descending run followed by another bend, then the same 3 note pattern until the end of the song.

Every single one of us constantly argues with someone else about what genre we should play. We started out as a grunge band playing Nirvana and Pearl Jam stuff, but me, Greg and Steve agreed we wanted to do more of a metal thing, like Pantera kind of stuff. Phil has since become obsessed with trying to get us to do grunge again, for example we were all sat at a gig once just talking about random things, then Steve said "so if someone asks what do we class ourselves as?". Greg, Steve and I agreed that without being specific, we would just say metal, while Phil interrupts the whole way through with "No! We're Post-Grunge! We're like Nirvana!"

I know this can be worked on, but Greg and Steve combined have the stage presence of a squirrel. Both Greg and Steve just stand in the exact same place from the start of a show to the end, refusing to even look up from their instruments and show anything but the top of their head. In no way am I saying that they can’t look at their instruments when playing, it’s only natural, but when they stand for 45 minutes in the exact same place doing nothing but staring at their instruments for the whole set it just looks robotic. Phil does what he can from behind a drum kit, like standing when possible or even walking round the kit still playing or whatever, and I go wild, space-permitting. At the end of a set I’ll usually jump into the crowd or do something from the stage to get them to interact with me, to at least try to get some kind of connection with them. Greg and Steve just keep staring down through it all and quietly walk off stage after the last song. Often they’ll leave wherever we’re playing straight after coming off stage, just grabbing their amps and going without even saying goodbye to anyone.

This next point probably seems petty and personal, but I can't stand Steve any more, not just musically but as a person. Every single time I see him he makes the same jokes and everyone around him dies laughing, if these jokes were funny even the first time I'd understand why they laugh, but they're not, he just rips off internet memes and says them regardless of the situation or time. Somehow he's become a social God in my circle of friends thus he gets a double vote on anything and people listen to his opinion more than Phil or me. It's not people thinking he's funny that annoys me, it's that he ALWAYS finds a way to embarrass me or make someone hate me because of his unfunny "jokes" about me that everyone else backs up because it's "the almighty Steve" saying them.

So yeah... tl;dr my band refuses to practice, people think I drown out our lead guitar when I'm not even playing, bassist only wants to play video games, lead guitar has 75 minute solos that bore everyone present, no-one can agree on a genre, guitarist and bassist have no stage presence, bassist's a prick whom everyone loves for doing nothing original and using me as the butt of every single (ripped off) unfunny joke he makes.

Sorry for the insanely long post, but I really needed to say it all and I figured guys on here would be able to advise me what to do from here. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like you need to find some new people to jam with. Get jamming, and start an awesome thrash metal band with them instead.

Nothing wrong with 75 minute solos by the way.
Quote by J.Davidson3009
Ok, so I'm 17 and in my first band which I've been part of for 2 years. I came in as a rhythm guitarist but within about 5 minutes of our first practice I became singer too. There's me on guitar and vocals, Greg on guitar, Steve on bass and Phil on drums. In 2 years of being a band we've done about 16 gigs, every single one with the exact same set because no-one else is willing to even practice, every time I mention booking a practice room or even organising something at my house to practice, Steve ALWAYS says "we know the set well enough already, we don't need to practice". In fairness Greg's not always the most financially well off and of course if he can't afford to practice a week here or there I can't complain since it's not his fault, but when we haven't practiced since February and we gig once a month or so it's a bit of a problem.

Right, practice annoyances out of the way, on to actual performances. We played a gig about 5 days ago (without practicing of course) and stumbled through it as always, and since we use 2 tunings (one dropped, one not, like standard and drop D) and I needed to bring my Floyd-equipped guitar to that gig I couldn't play the dropped songs so I just sang them instead. The others said this was fine and for one gig they would survive. After the gig Greg's girlfriend came up to me while we're packing our gear away and said "for the last 2 songs (the ones in drop tunings) we couldn't hear Greg at all because you were too loud" bearing in mind I wasn't even playing this confused me a bit but whatever, I didn't want to cause any trouble so I agreed that next gig I would turn down and would tell Greg to turn up.

Steve, the bassist, is obsessed with playing video games instead of practicing (we all like video games to be fair, but me, Greg and Phil practice our instruments as well as play games) and he insists that "we sound good enough already" even though we don't rehearse AT ALL before a gig, we just turn up and play. Every single show we do one of us slips up at least once. A few times before it's been me too so I can't say it's just the others, but I know that if we even once practiced we'd be 10 times better without even trying. It doesn't help that Greg and I want to play more technical (think Justice for All era Metallica) music, while Steve is happy just hitting an open C# every quaver beat with a cymbal hit. In fact, 3 of his 4 songs start with this.

It seems like every week one of us has a "band argument" even though outside of it we remain friends before and after like nothing happened. These arguments are often about what direction we want to go in, what songs we should cover, that kind of stuff, and they always end in a stalemate. After about a year gigging playing nothing but covers we decided we would try our hand at writing our own things, with varying degrees of success. Our drummer (Phil) writes the most but almost everything he writes is a direct rip-off of something else, so we obviously can't play it or we'd be accused of plagiarism, while Greg hardly writes at all bar a 4 bar phrase here and there, being more concerned about having a 75 minute solo-section of every song so he can show off. I don't have a problem with him wanting a chance to solo, he can do it well, so if he wants to solo and amaze people that's fine, it's just that these massive sections of solos he writes have the exact same rhythm section behind them in every single song and it gets so boring playing C#-E-C# for 4 or 5 minutes while he shreds away using the same pentatonic 3 note patterns in every song. Every solo he plays is the same 3 note pattern followed by a held-on bend followed by a descending run followed by another bend, then the same 3 note pattern until the end of the song.

Every single one of us constantly argues with someone else about what genre we should play. We started out as a grunge band playing Nirvana and Pearl Jam stuff, but me, Greg and Steve agreed we wanted to do more of a metal thing, like Pantera kind of stuff. Phil has since become obsessed with trying to get us to do grunge again, for example we were all sat at a gig once just talking about random things, then Steve said "so if someone asks what do we class ourselves as?". Greg, Steve and I agreed that without being specific, we would just say metal, while Phil interrupts the whole way through with "No! We're Post-Grunge! We're like Nirvana!"

I know this can be worked on, but Greg and Steve combined have the stage presence of a squirrel. Both Greg and Steve just stand in the exact same place from the start of a show to the end, refusing to even look up from their instruments and show anything but the top of their head. In no way am I saying that they can’t look at their instruments when playing, it’s only natural, but when they stand for 45 minutes in the exact same place doing nothing but staring at their instruments for the whole set it just looks robotic. Phil does what he can from behind a drum kit, like standing when possible or even walking round the kit still playing or whatever, and I go wild, space-permitting. At the end of a set I’ll usually jump into the crowd or do something from the stage to get them to interact with me, to at least try to get some kind of connection with them. Greg and Steve just keep staring down through it all and quietly walk off stage after the last song. Often they’ll leave wherever we’re playing straight after coming off stage, just grabbing their amps and going without even saying goodbye to anyone.

This next point probably seems petty and personal, but I can't stand Steve any more, not just musically but as a person. Every single time I see him he makes the same jokes and everyone around him dies laughing, if these jokes were funny even the first time I'd understand why they laugh, but they're not, he just rips off internet memes and says them regardless of the situation or time. Somehow he's become a social God in my circle of friends thus he gets a double vote on anything and people listen to his opinion more than Phil or me. It's not people thinking he's funny that annoys me, it's that he ALWAYS finds a way to embarrass me or make someone hate me because of his unfunny "jokes" about me that everyone else backs up because it's "the almighty Steve" saying them.

So yeah... tl;dr my band refuses to practice, people think I drown out our lead guitar when I'm not even playing, bassist only wants to play video games, lead guitar has 75 minute solos that bore everyone present, no-one can agree on a genre, guitarist and bassist have no stage presence, bassist's a prick whom everyone loves for doing nothing original and using me as the butt of every single (ripped off) unfunny joke he makes.

Sorry for the insanely long post, but I really needed to say it all and I figured guys on here would be able to advise me what to do from here. Thanks in advance.

So here is wat you do. if you are the band leader get rid of the bass player. it seems to me like he's not helping the band and if you want to get big you are probably going to want to like everyone you work with. bass players are easy to find. next your band needs to practice because you guys are getting a lot of shows and you will have to tell the lead guitarist to tone down his leads and change it up every once in a while and you will have to work on their stage presence. hope this helps.
THRASH TILL DETH!!!!!!
Simply speaking:

- The sound issue is a non-event based on something someone said once who didn't understand you weren't playing.

- Band doesn't want to practice, you can't make them.

- You're not post grunge, you're a cover band.

- There's a guy who's more popular than you. Deal with it.

- Attempts at writing originals end up in long jams. Write full songs at home, then email the parts to eachother or show them at band practice for them to write parts for.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
if i was in your situation i'd probably try to get rid of steve by convincing your band members that he is a problem, which he is, and if that don't work muscle steve out. OR you could invite one of the guys willing to practice to jam a couple times and gradually get the rest of them, except steve, to form a new more productive, melvins like band
why don't you quit this band and start a new one with some other people?
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>