Sup. So a few months ago i broke my fingers and the end result is that the last joint in my pinky doesn't bend anymore. The pinky is a bit curved so i am still able to use it and not mute any strings that i don't want to, although pressing down 2 strings with my pinky is a bit painful because the surgeon took some part out and now its just bone and skin under the last joint of my pinky. I think I'll be able to keep playing 100% or at least not lower than 95% ;D when my finger stops hurting. A week ago i wasn't able to do pull offs and now i can do them pretty much everywhere on the fret board. Only problems I have with pull offs or just in general holding a string down with my pinky is above the 17th fret but I don't think it will last. (Also i had a feeling before i broke my fingers that I needed to take out a spring to make strings easier to press down, so it should get easier). Anyway... I'm writing to this forums so maybe you guys could recommend me some songs, licks, riffs, chords or exercises that utilize the use of the pinky. The harder and more difficult the better. I'll probably end up using my pinky more than I ever have in my past Thanks
Taking a spring out won't help to make pressing the strings down easier. You'll have to crank the claw in the back a lot more to get the bridge to sit level again. Switch to thinner strings if you want them easier to fret.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
One: Use spacings and enter and not one Jumble of words. No one wants to read that cluster then answer your question.

Two: Consult your doctor. He knows EXCATLY what he did and will be able to tell you if it's good or not.

Three: Don't force tension. Tension does not equal skilled precise practice.

Four: Just read the stickies for advice and asking the doctor should be COMMON SENSE.

Cheers,
Xter
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by Xter at Dec 19, 2011,
Spacing? Really? You guys have ADHD or smth? Sorry for providing a backstory. I asked for exercises or riffs not for medical advices. The doctor wont help in any way. I guess admins can close or delete this thread looks like I'm not getting any help in here.
Quote by Piktas
Spacing? Really? You guys have ADHD or smth? Sorry for providing a backstory. I asked for exercises or riffs not for medical advices. The doctor wont help in any way. I guess admins can close or delete this thread looks like I'm not getting any help in here.

Yes really. No one wants to read a cluster of words. Imagine reading size 1 text with no spacings in between paragraphs on a large piece of paper.

No we do not.

And there is a whole sticky of exercises on the forum. If you want exercise help, look at Freepower's threads. Also break up your favorite songs into riffs you can practice you enjoy.

And FYI, please be more understanding in your tone. With what you have no, you are not going to be getting much help. Be more cooperative.
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Well I don't think i wrote that much but ok. I guess I overreacted a bit. Point is I'm decent at

guitar and I already do tons of exercises I was just wondering if anyone can provide with

some uber licks or riffs (or just name a song) where the pinky is used a lot. I just want to see

if there's anything that I cannot physically execute anymore.
Quote by Piktas
Well I don't think i wrote that much but ok. I guess I overreacted a bit. Point is I'm decent at

guitar and I already do tons of exercises I was just wondering if anyone can provide with

some uber licks or riffs (or just name a song) where the pinky is used a lot. I just want to see

if there's anything that I cannot physically execute anymore.

Check the Sticky for exercises, they have a collection of 1,000's of exercises you can do from Hybird Picking, to Legato, to Picking, to Sweep picking.

Try them all. You might find something interesting there. Some are excerpts from songs you may or not may know.

Cheers,
Xter
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Ok im gonna assume youre a grown up and you know what you are doing with your pinky.
This is by far the quickest and most hardcore way to discipline it.

Trill 1-4 as quick as you can for an hour
Alternate with fingers 123 pressing on the same string while hammering only with the pinky without lifting 123 for half hour.

Thats it, in a couple of months you should have a virtuoso pinky or a totally ****ed up joint( although didnt you say you dont have ligaments anymore ?)
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 19, 2011,
Thanks man! That trill idea looks awesome. I guess if i apply it all over the fretboard I should get my pinky up to speed in no time. (Yeah I think I don't have ligaments at the last joint of the pinky)