I want REAL "which guitar" help:

Budget: 1500€ tops!

Favorite Artists: Alter Bridge, Metallica (kirk hammet's tone in fade to black, and early metallica), Trivium, August Burns Red, DragonForce, Firewind, Megadeth, (early) Bullet for My valentine, Avenged Sevenfold

Preferences: Les Paul, Flying V, Explorer and (super)strat shapes

Pickups preferably passives, but don't mind actives; HH or HSH configuration

New or Used: preferably new

Location Portugal

Current Gear: Jackson DK2, Bugera 6262H+marshal 1922 cab, Epiphone AJ200

I appreciate the help!
Last edited by Lespagnol3105 at Dec 19, 2011,
Check out the ESP Horizon. Its what I have it really shreds.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
You seem to have a good idea of what you want, but the guitars you have in mind all have theire own differences. Mostly in how they're going to feel (weight, neck thickness,etc.) Go play some guitars in your price range, and see what you like. Bring your gear along to see what sounds good through your stuff. I'd highly recomend an Explorer. I haven't been dissapointed by mine, minus it only has 22 frets. Check out some Jacksons, Ibanez. Check out everything. You'd be surprised what you'd find you like with a higher budget.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by shikkaka
Check out the ESP Horizon. Its what I have it really shreds.

The Horizon-II is indeed a very, very good choice. A Friend of mine has one with a Floyd Rose and Seymour Duncan pickups. It's got it all - it sounds excellent, is very versatile, plays very slick, looks cool as hell, and just feels very solid and refined all over. If you dislike floyds, there's a non-tremolo model out there, too.

The only guitar I have come across that I like more than that one is my very own Ibanez SV5470F - I'd say that they're on par quality-wise, but I just prefer the neck and the H/S/H splittable pickup configuration and the excellent tremolo system. I wouldn't recommend it for someone mainly after heavy tones, though - it does handle high-gain stuff just fine, but there are better choices for that out there. I use it for stuff like Dream Theater, Andy Timmons and Pink Floyd amongst others, and for that stuff, it's brilliant. If you want a sick player it's worth checking out.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by Koshman32
You seem to have a good idea of what you want, but the guitars you have in mind all have theire own differences.

Yes, I've been checking some websites, mainly esp, ibanez, jackson and schecter, but I can't decide on them. I'm very pleased with my Jackson in terms of playability (the neck is very thin and confortable), but I think the sound doens't really fit on the description I said above.

By Explorer, you mean the model or the shape?
Last edited by Lespagnol3105 at Dec 19, 2011,
I'd suggest buying a guitar that plays well, such as an Ibby prestige, and swapping the p'ups for some good quality passives (Bare Knuckle Pickups are probably your best bet - Rebel Yell or Miracle Man by the sound of it). I've always preferred the feel and playability of Ibanez guitars - a great choice would be the RGD2120Z (literally the sweetest non-custom 6 I've ever played: http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGD2120Z), but it's up to you, try the Horizon and maybe a Jackson Soloist as well and see what you think. Definitely check out Bare Knuckle though, those passives eat EMG's for breakfast. As a wise man once said, batteries are for flashlights, not pickups :P
Quote by Lespagnol3105
I want REAL "which guitar" help:

Budget: 1500€ tops!

Favorite Artists: Alter Bridge, Metallica (kirk hammet's tone in fade to black, and early metallica), Trivium, August Burns Red, DragonForce, Firewind, Megadeth, (early) Bullet for My valentine, Avenged Sevenfold

Preferences: Les Paul, Flying V, Explorer and (super)strat shapes

Pickups preferably passives, but don't mind actives; HH or HSH configuration

New or Used: preferably new

Location Portugal

Current Gear: Jackson DK2, Bugera 6262H+marshal 1922 cab, Epiphone AJ200

I appreciate the help!

For 1500 Euro (almost $2000 US) - build your own custom guitar. Its seriously not hard. You get exactly what YOU want.

www.warmoth.com

And: www.unofficialwarmoth.com
Ibanez Sam Totman signature STM2 is very nice, I love it and you can have it for 1000 euros. Ibanez RG prestige are nice. ESP has very good guitars too. for 1500 euros, I would for Ibanez or ESP,
Guerilla M2 Delta Seige and other guerilla guitars are very nice, but sometimes very expensive
Quote by Heideck
Ibanez Sam Totman signature STM2 is very nice, I love it and you can have it for 1000 euros. Ibanez RG prestige are nice. ESP has very good guitars too. for 1500 euros, I would for Ibanez or ESP,

The stm's are hardly worth 1000$, sorry. The evolution pickups are incredibly sensitive and can be noisy, it comes with an edge 3 and its made in indonesia.

Keeping in general EG fashion I would say look at some higher end rg prestiges (or *drool* possibly a steal on a used j-custom).

I have a low end one (rg1570) and it is by far the smoothest playing guitar I have ever owned. Also unlike the stm, its got an edge pro bridge, is made in japan, and isn't awfully uncomfortable to play. It also cost me 600$. Stm is overpriced.

Edit: \/ My buddy paid 1000$ cad plus taxes for the stm1. We even met sam totman and he didnt bring it...dummy. Lol!
Last edited by StateFarmsThere at Dec 22, 2011,
It's true that STM can be noisy, always depend the price you pay for. My friend got his brand new for 825$.
jackson demmiltion
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
If you're going to spend that much, get something better than a schecter. Don't get me wrong I love my hellraiser, but if I had that kind of budget I wouldn't be looking at schecters.

Depends on what you want. Ibanez and Jackson are going to have thin necks. Les paul is not. Don't know anything about Flying V's cause I don't care for them but I'm sure they vary from manufacturer.

I guess another thing to consider since you want a metal guitar is do you want passive or active pick ups. If you don't object to active pickups, I find the Jim root telecaster and strat to be quite sexy if i must say so.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by 04rumbola
I'd suggest buying a guitar that plays well, such as an Ibby prestige, and swapping the p'ups for some good quality passives (Bare Knuckle Pickups are probably your best bet - Rebel Yell or Miracle Man by the sound of it). I've always preferred the feel and playability of Ibanez guitars - a great choice would be the RGD2120Z (literally the sweetest non-custom 6 I've ever played: http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGD2120Z), but it's up to you, try the Horizon and maybe a Jackson Soloist as well and see what you think. Definitely check out Bare Knuckle though, those passives eat EMG's for breakfast. As a wise man once said, batteries are for flashlights, not pickups :P

For less money he could get the RG1570Z and get a more versatile guitar. They are near identical except a slight difference in body shape. The 1570 adds a middle single coil and slightly different PUPS. Since a PUP swap is in order no matter which you get, it seems the 1570 is a slightly better choice to me. Use the money you save to buy the PUPS.
Quote by ORCRiST
For 1500 Euro (almost $2000 US) - build your own custom guitar. Its seriously not hard. You get exactly what YOU want.

www.warmoth.com

And: www.unofficialwarmoth.com

Bingo!

Lespagnol3105, unless you already have lust in your heart over a particular a premium guitar, find a luthier or talk to a manufacturer's custom shop. The one I've been going to for a few years now (Jon Kammerer...near Chicago, so that probably won't help you) has standard models starting at $995, and full customs staring around $2000.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 23, 2011,