Hello UG, Ive recently decided on modding an old Ibanez RG320EX with better pickups. But my problem is that I do not know anything about pickups to get started. Ive locked in my brand I've decided on. Which is DiMarzio. Most of their pickups that Ive tried by them sound really good and they never fail me. But I dont understand which pickups on the website would be good for progressive metalcore, and which ones wouldnt be good for it.

My guitar is being set up for Dropped B tuning so I need a pickup that can get a good (not muddy) sound and not get lost in the massive amounts of distortion coming from my Peavey 6505. The main purpose for this thread is that I'm trying to see if the UG Community has tried any DiMarzio pickups they would recommend for me to push me in the right direction.
Last edited by SomeRandomCrack at Dec 22, 2011,
d-activators
crunch lab
etc..
I haven't tried a d-activator but i have a crunch lab in my drop c metal axe and it sounds damn sexy through my peavey ultra plus.
Maybe a air norton or liquifire in the neck? both good choices.
I wouldn't recommend a super distortion, tone zone or paf pro for what you want, paf pro is too low output. Tone zone is more of very mid heavy lead/shred bridge pickup which is cool if want 80s with a bit more bite but i wouldn't use it for br00tz imo. The sd is pretty much 80s standard type deal and again probs not for br00tz you could get away with it for the 6505 but its not as br00ts as the pups i mentioned.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Dec 19, 2011,
Well you'd generally use the crunch lab in the bridge for the metal stuff and then use your neck pup for jazzy tones.
The liquifire is a good partner for it in the neck. Its John Petruccis signature pickup set (the cl/lf) and dream theater use a wide variety of sounds which if you pair the two you'll get jazzy stuff aswell as a thick lead tone on the neck pup.
Would the Evolution and LiquiFire make a good pair for metal?
Do you happen to know anything about the Evolution bridge pickup?
I use a Dimarzio D-sonic in the bridge and I have the same amp. It's GREAT for low-tuned chugging -- that's what the pickup is made for. I tune to D standard/drop C so not quite as low as you but it maintains a tight attack without getting muddy. When I tune to drop-C I can get very close to The Black Dhalia Murders' tone. Very brutal indeed...

And it's still nice for screaming highs. But I'm more of a rhythm/riff-making type of player - I don't focus on lead. I can't make a recommendation for the neck pickup because I still use a low-output PAF style pickup for that. I like my cleans to be very warm and jazzy, despite playing metal predominantly.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Thank you, but I'm not really going for a Black Dahlia Murder sound. The stuff I play is more along the lines of BTBAM stuff. Very progressive. So I need something very versatile as well as being very chuggy at the same time.
Quote by SomeRandomCrack
Thank you, but I'm not really going for a Black Dahlia Murder sound. The stuff I play is more along the lines of BTBAM stuff. Very progressive. So I need something very versatile as well as being very chuggy at the same time.

Well that's just one of the tones I can get with eq'ing and playing style - it's not like my rig sounds like them and that's it. Pickup choice is not the most definitive factor in your overall tone anyway - the amp is. You already use the same amp as them anyway, so obviously it's not a problem.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by SomeRandomCrack
Is there a big difference between the D-Sonic and the Crunch-Lab?

The guitar tech at my local music shop said they were very similar but he preferred the D-sonic. I can't remember his reasoning though. But I went with the D-sonic based on his recommendations, and I haven't been dissapointed.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I have a breed in the bridge position of my pacifica 1221 ms sounds great through my peavey classic
Quote by KailM
The guitar tech at my local music shop said they were very similar but he preferred the D-sonic. I can't remember his reasoning though. But I went with the D-sonic based on his recommendations, and I haven't been dissapointed.

Maybe because it has a closer output to the LiquiFire? Idk. Sounds like a good choice for me though. Considering the D-Sonic and Crunch-Lab have both been recommended to me many times. And I love that Jp6 sound.
Don't rule out the X2N! It has Dimarzio's highest output, and Chuck Schuldiner of Death used it :3
Why not look into some of the small business pickup winders out there? Often times their prices are competitive with the big boys, and their pickups sound kickass too.

You would even have something to talk about after concerts!
Well I was looking at Bare Knuckle pickups. The thing about smaller businesses is that you cannot try their pickups before you buy them.
whats your budget?? cos if you can afford them then a set of BKPs will be better than Dimarzio's really. I love the crunch lab/liqui-fire combo but a pair of Aftermaths or Cold Sweats just have a little more OOOOMMMMPPHHHH to them if you know what i mean. IMO tho the CL/LF combo is the best pickup config out there if you dont have a big budget and need versatility
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Does anybody have any soundbytes? So I can hear what the pickups sound like?
I hear BKPs produce a "djenty" sound. Is this true?

I know they are good for distorted sounds, but how are their cleans?
Last edited by SomeRandomCrack at Dec 21, 2011,
The Breed is an incredibly good pup, and versatile. In my RG I use Blackouts though, and they kick ass.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by SomeRandomCrack
Does anybody have any soundbytes? So I can hear what the pickups sound like?
I hear BKPs produce a "djenty" sound. Is this true?

I know they are good for distorted sounds, but how are their cleans?

go to their website, they have samples on there. the cleans are very very good
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by jeleopard
Don't rule out the X2N! It has Dimarzio's highest output, and Chuck Schuldiner of Death used it :3

i dont know if you have tried one or not, but for me the X2N was by all standards the worst non-stock pickup i have ever heard. shit ton of output, worst tone. i realize different people prefer different tones as well as different ears, but i couldn't find a use for one.

i am unsure how it would sound tuned that low, but i get good results C#std with a Tone Zone/Air Norton (i have them in three guitars)

crunch lab/liquifier seems to be populur around here that sound good and are well liked.

i have considered getting my self some BKP's then i was in a NPD with another forumute on here who had the TZ/AN in and replaced them with BKP's and he liked them, and was happy. i asked him how they compared to the dimarzios and he said something along the lines of that they were like only 10% better and for me, $300 isn't justifiable for 10% better.

i know that is one person,.

but i also have a feeling that there is some 'band waggoning' on BKP, iam sure they sound great, but i would have to hear them in an instrument similar to mine in person to justify it.
'
if you do some searching you should be able to find this thread. it was only like 7 or 8 posts long.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Crunch lab and Liquifire...mmmmmmmmm

If you want Djent, the Bareknuckle Painkiller is the way to go, I have one, and I can tell you, you want the ultimate Djent tone, and more, get it. You just have have the $$$ for a set.

Here's some sound clips I did of my Painkiller though a very very very loose amp(Valveking)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPVL2VshfvA
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Dec 21, 2011,
There's so much misinformation here that I felt obligated to say something. I used to own a JSX, which has a similar amount of gain as the 5150/6505, and I've tried just about every DiMarzio out there. There wasn't a single one that couldn't be used for metal in the bridge. Sure some are better than others for certain genres but to say a Tone Zone, Super D (1, 2 or 3), Breed, or any of those can't do brutal metal is simply false. They each do it differently, but I can assure you that all of them do what they do very well for metal. Keep in mind that low output DiMarzios are often hotter than most medium or high output pickups from other brands. Believe me, I use a Breed and it is more brutal than my Duncan JB (which if you cant do brutal with then you're doing something wrong). I also had a PAF in my Les Paul for years it was great for metal. Swapped it for a Mo'Joe just for kicks, which imo is not as good. Neither is the PAF Joe.

Anyways, back on topic; I'd recommend the Steve's Special / Air Norton or Liquifire combo.

EDIT: As was said previously, BKP's are amazing, but so are DiMarzios. Each are great in their own right, but neither is "better." If you want the classic Djent tone (which I'm not certain you do, but someone mentioned that) just go for the Steve's Special. I'm 90% certain that's what Bulb used to record the Periphery debut. The Steve's Special was the stock pickup on EBMM JP's before the D-Sonic, which was before the Crunch Lab. It's a 6 string version of the DiMarzio Blaze, which you can also try out on a stock Ibanez Universe. Whichever way you go, good luck dude!
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Last edited by PerpetualBurn at Dec 22, 2011,
Quote by shredftw
go to their website, they have samples on there. the cleans are very very good

Thanks, I'll look into them. Looks like Im stuck between BKPs and DiMarzios :S

But has anybody tried the DiMarzio Evolution Bridge pickup?
The website says it can "cut through" multiple tracks when recording. Although, it doesnt say anything about if it is good for metal or not.
And would an Evolution and LiquiFire be a "good combination" for progressive metalcore?
Last edited by SomeRandomCrack at Dec 22, 2011,
That would actually be a great pickup, but keep in mind that the Evo is very sensitive to your playing and will pick up just about every little nuance in your guitar.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

i think some of you are over analyzing. yes a pickup is significant in tone. there are very many variables among pickups. asking "can these do metal" is a stupid question. you sould probably be looking at pickups that work well for your guitar's body, neck, and fingerbody woods, the best, whether that be you want to complement the material or whether you want to flatten/neutralize out the tone.

PerpetualBurn is spot on.

there aren't a whole lot of different pickups that cant do metal. my go to 'metal' guitar has is a Gibson Les Paul Studio wiht 490r/498t's. it sounds killer. my second 'metal' guitar is an SG that has EMG's that is in C#std. i have seen some bands play metal with a strat or a tele. they make it sound good.

another thing to mention is that Pepper Keenen of COC and Down (i am a hardcore down fan, they are my favorite band). has removed the neck humbucker and installed a P90 rough in in an Gibson SG or an ESP Viper, if you look closely you see that at some point it got hit with a router to rearrange things.

Personally i HATE buying pickups. they are hard to buy because there are so many pickups out there, and i want to have the ideal combination. really the only times you can play one is if a buddy has one or if they happen to come in stock on a guitar at a local shop. i am pretty sure you could walk into any decent music store and if you knew what to look for you wouldn't be able to hear probably more than 5 or 6. probably a SD JB, '59, Jazz, Pearly gates (maybe), and from dimarzio a tone zone, air norton, evolution, and for actives certainly typical EMG's, but maybe not the X models, and you may see a set of blackouts. that is likely all you will find to demo, and yet even hearing them have no idea how they would sound good in your guitar.

i understand wanting to buy the perfect thing to suit your needs (as we all do), but at some point you have to take the plunge (as most of us do) and buy something.
if you buy a pickup used you can get them for dirt cheap and install them, if you dont like them sell them. or throw them in the parts bin for a project or try them in another guitar.

i guess what i am trying to say is whether you get a set of Crunch Lab/Liquifires or Tone Zone/Air Norton, and they were going through a decent tube amp, there probably wouldn't be much of a difference IF they were EQ'd well for each pickup. if you were to leave the EQ the same, yea they would sound very different, but if you are changing settings on your amp and know what you want to sound like i am sure you could EQ out the differences.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
My guitar has an Ibanez Edge III tremolo. Would I need F-Spaced pickups or no? I plan on eventually switching the bridge to a Floyd Rose Pro Series. Would it be smarter to get the new bridge before the pickups?
Quote by trashedlostfdup

i guess what i am trying to say is whether you get a set of Crunch Lab/Liquifires or Tone Zone/Air Norton, and they were going through a decent tube amp, there probably wouldn't be much of a difference IF they were EQ'd well for each pickup. if you were to leave the EQ the same, yea they would sound very different, but if you are changing settings on your amp and know what you want to sound like i am sure you could EQ out the differences.

As an owner of both pickup sets
liquifire and air norton are quite similar.
Tone zone and Crunch lab are voiced very differently
just my opinion
Quote by coolstoryangus
As an owner of both pickup sets
liquifire and air norton are quite similar.
Tone zone and Crunch lab are voiced very differently
just my opinion

i am kind of on the fence with my opinion, but i do agree that the liquifire is very similar to the air norton. i have more experiance with the tone zone, less with the crunch lab, i do realize that they are voiced differently, but am stating that either one is not going to make or break you. they will sound slightly different, but other things in your rig will make much more of an impact on your tone.

either pickup combination would be fine, after your effects, amp, cab, speakers, there probably isn't a whole ton of difference, provided that you EQ your differently for that pickup than just leaving the settings the same on your old pickup.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The Ibis are F-spaced, as will be your FR replacement.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i dont know if you have tried one or not, but for me the X2N was by all standards the worst non-stock pickup i have ever heard. shit ton of output, worst tone. i realize different people prefer different tones as well as different ears, but i couldn't find a use for one.
You have to be careful with the X2N's. They have to be mounted extremely low lying in the ring in order to sound good, or else the sound's a muddy fucking mess (that means no installing them in guitars where the pickups are direct-mount).

To me they sound good when they are mounted low and far, as they really bring out the resonance of the wood and the pick attack on the strings. Though they are extremely sensitive and really reveal your every little mistake if you are not precise with your playing.
Bare Knuckle Black Dog pair.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=vintage_hot&pickup=black_dog

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pickups-electronics-general-tech/180123-am-i-nuts-does-black-dog-modern-metal-clip-bkp-site-kill-all-others.html#post2777381

Quote by trashedlostfdup
Personally i HATE buying pickups. they are hard to buy because there are so many pickups out there, and i want to have the ideal combination.

Also.. There is a 638636363463 combinations of wood+pickups that makes me sick!

Edit:

Quote by trashedlostfdup
my second 'metal' guitar is an SG that has EMG's that is in C#std.

How do you guys have heart to "destroy" guitar with shitty EMG or high output pickup. Man.. every guitar with EMG sounds same. Alder,mahogany.. it doesn't matter.
Last edited by Steve18222 at Dec 24, 2011,
Quote by dkunick
The Ibis are F-spaced, as will be your FR replacement.

Im guessing "Ibis" means Ibanez, or?
Yes, sorry. Ibanez
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You have to be careful with the X2N's. They have to be mounted extremely low lying in the ring in order to sound good, or else the sound's a muddy fucking mess (that means no installing them in guitars where the pickups are direct-mount).

To me they sound good when they are mounted low and far, as they really bring out the resonance of the wood and the pick attack on the strings. Though they are extremely sensitive and really reveal your every little mistake if you are not precise with your playing.

believe me, i figured that out quick, i had one in a fender showmater at a lower level than the pickup ring. put it on a carved top Washburn, again had it pickup ring height, i tried it and i messed with it, it just terrible.

and really what do you need all of that ouput for? yea i know it makes a difference, but i am also thinking that since the X2N is a 'high gain' pickup, most people use it to play 'metal' while most of them hit the front of the amp with an OD.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I'd prefer Emg's for that model, or maybe Seymour Duncan blackouts. But as i don't like such pickups, Crunch lab and liqufire with 5 way switch, well it'd be better. Yet, I'd like getting a better guitar, instead of modyfing a guitar in that price range. You won't get what you paid for.
Buy some pedals instead. Maybe new amp. Something that you can use long years, if even you buy a new guitar.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
and really what do you need all of that ouput for? yea i know it makes a difference, but i am also thinking that since the X2N is a 'high gain' pickup, most people use it to play 'metal' while most of them hit the front of the amp with an OD.
I don't know what other people use high-output pickups for, but I find that higher output pickups really emphasize on the resonation of the wood and make it sound as if there is more "body" coming from the guitar due to it picking up the excessive bit of the resonance and string vibrations (when they are placed low of course).

When using them you also can't use a lot of gain, even if you are a metal guitarist. With the higher output pickups you get more tone from the wood of your guitar and require less gain from your amplifier. I play metal ranging from progressive and thrash to melo-death and black metal, and I almost never bring the overdrive knob past 4 or use a boost for anything anyway with any of my guitars, especially the ones with higher output pups (though I pick a shitload harder than normal; I also will use a TS9 occasionally for leads).

The only thing I've found with the higher output pups is that they aren't always ideal in HSS configurations, but for me as of today that won't be a problem as I have a good little something from under the tree just a bit ago that I'll post a NGD on when I install them.