Im having trouble finding a mic that i can recorder my electric guitar with, It has to be under €150 but also have really good recording quality for hardrock/metal tones and clean tones also.
Maybe a used Heil PR-40? An MXL 2003a would be good too, if you move it further from the speakers. SM57s are not that bad, but there are thousands of better mics in your price range.

EDIT: Audix i5 and Sennheiser e609 are also good alternatives.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Dec 19, 2011,
THe SM57 is a good mic, but to many people think it is the holy grial. You should use the Senheiser e609 along with a condenser mic, preferably a Blue Spark or something similar. I love the sm57, but it can only take you so far. plus the e609 has a little bit wider freq response than a 57.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
hey guys, im also looking for a mic to record so id thought i would just ask here.

im basically recording with a little voice recorder. it has a mic input(its like a little headphone jack for mic, NOT an instrument cable)
my plan was to record myself mostly to get into writing. i'll probably do each track individually and then line them up using some program(idk what yet)

im not looking for top tier quality, or i wouldnt be using a cheap little voice recorder; at the same time i dont want it to sound like shit.

so would the sm57 work for me? (keep in mind, again the mic input is like on a regular aux cable...no idea what its called)

any other options? im broke right now so i dont have tons of money
Quote by davem27
hey guys, im also looking for a mic to record so id thought i would just ask here.

im basically recording with a little voice recorder. it has a mic input(its like a little headphone jack for mic, NOT an instrument cable)
my plan was to record myself mostly to get into writing. i'll probably do each track individually and then line them up using some program(idk what yet)

im not looking for top tier quality, or i wouldnt be using a cheap little voice recorder; at the same time i dont want it to sound like shit.

so would the sm57 work for me? (keep in mind, again the mic input is like on a regular aux cable...no idea what its called)

any other options? im broke right now so i dont have tons of money

Nope. The SM57 (like all professional mics) uses XLR rather than line. If you don't want to spend much, download a free DAW like Reaper, buy a cheapish USB interface (Line 6 UX1, M-Audio Fast Track etc.) and learn about free amp sims and cab impulses.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Twistedrock
Nope. The SM57 (like all professional mics) uses XLR rather than line. If you don't want to spend much, download a free DAW like Reaper, buy a cheapish USB interface (Line 6 UX1, M-Audio Fast Track etc.) and learn about free amp sims and cab impulses.

Well thanks for the response dude, but naww...I love the sound of my amp and I'm trying to capture a natural, even cheapish recording. Its mostly to write songs, I'm not trying to put out a demo. The only reason I don't just use the recorder by itself is cause I get white noise. I'm not familiar with xlr, but are there any easy convertors to line?...or any other alternatives?
Quote by davem27
Well thanks for the response dude, but naww...I love the sound of my amp and I'm trying to capture a natural, even cheapish recording. Its mostly to write songs, I'm not trying to put out a demo. The only reason I don't just use the recorder by itself is cause I get white noise. I'm not familiar with xlr, but are there any easy convertors to line?...or any other alternatives?

The reason that they use XLR is that line gives a much dirtier signal afaik, so I guess there aren't any converters, or if they are, they're shit. Also, close micing your amp won't get you a natural sound. Even so, recording with your PC with a cheapish interface is a great thing to do, you can get some ridiculous tones.

For example, http://soundcloud.com/joecarter/song-2-with-bass

Recorded that using only POD Farm (which comes free with the UX1) and Reaper.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Twistedrock
The reason that they use XLR is that line gives a much dirtier signal afaik, so I guess there aren't any converters, or if they are, they're shit. Also, close micing your amp won't get you a natural sound. Even so, recording with your PC with a cheapish interface is a great thing to do, you can get some ridiculous tones.

For example, http://soundcloud.com/joecarter/song-2-with-bass

Recorded that using only POD Farm (which comes free with the UX1) and Reaper.

Thanks a lot for the responses man. Well for now that I'm broke I think ill stick with the little voice recorder alone. I was gonna save up for the mic cus I thought itd be something I could
use in the long run. I reallly like the sound of my amp over digital amps so I'd rather try to record with my amp...like I said I'm not really going for top quality
I was wondering as well which mic would be better for thrashing guitar. I heard both and the SM57 seems to have more bass
The reason for using XLR is because it is a balanced line (in other words, the signal travels along twice, at opposing polarities, with the intention that when the polarity is flipped back any interference picked up along the length of the cable will cancel itself out) and can be used to travel greater distances with less risk of interference. It also happened to become the preferred standard for interfacing between professional audio equipment quite a long time ago and is unlikely to change anytime soon.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
you could look to the samson G-Track, it is a condensator mic with an inbuild audiointerface. Cost arounds 110 euro's