Hi,

I'm having trouble performing legato on the first (thinnest) string when performing legato triplets with the third note being a pull-off to an open string (e.g. 8p5p0 7p5p0 think that lick in the Iron Maiden Aces High solo.)

My problem is that I can perform the first pull-off ok, but when pulling off 5 to open, when using the 'correct' plucking technique the string gets pulled off the edge of the fretboard while making this strange high pitched squeal/scrape sound - which is the sound of the string itself leaving the fretboard.

For some reason I just can't pull-off onto an open high e without pulling the string off the fretboard making 'that' ugly sound. If I lighten up on the force the pull-off becomes too weak to hear properly. What am I doing wrong?
Jackson PDX Demmelition w/ EMG 81/85
Vintage Lemon Drop w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Dean Z Bubinga w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts

Blackstar HT-5 combo
You're using too much movement; the movement you make shouldn't be anywhere near big enough to pull the strings anywhere near the edge of the fretboard.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You're using too much movement; the movement you make shouldn't be anywhere near big enough to pull the strings anywhere near the edge of the fretboard.

Thanks. I'm kind of guessing that's the answer, but when attempting to use less movement the pull-off sounds too weak. Should I pulling-off up towards the B string rather than down off the fretboard, or even push up slightly with the first finger when making the first pull-off, in order to give me 'more room?'

Blackstar HT-5 combo
Quote by Rargh
Thanks. I'm kind of guessing that's the answer, but when attempting to use less movement the pull-off sounds too weak. Should I pulling-off up towards the B string rather than down off the fretboard, or even push up slightly with the first finger when making the first pull-off, in order to give me 'more room?'

No, that'll pull the note out of tune. You don't need to make a large movement to get the note to sound loudly, you need to make the movement quick and clean. It'll come with practice though I would have thought, just keep at it and make sure that your movements aren't too big and you'll probably be fine.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Cool, just tried VERY slowly and noticed that I'm putting too much 'flick' into my index finger-to-open pulloff - and a bit too much when also performing the first pull-off (ring finger to index finger)

Time to set up the slo-mo metronome!!!!

Blackstar HT-5 combo