Page 1 of 2
I was wondering something. This might again be a stupid question like my lightbulb thread but I am seriously wondering.

Would it be possible/has anyone ever made a guitar purely out of solid stone or rock, like quartz or marble? What would even be cooler is a guitar made of bloodstone. I'm sure it would be heavy as fuck, and would also be expensive, but how would it sound?
Probably like shit.

Stone isnt very resonant.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by supersac
it'd probabaly be good for rock

Gosh darn it, ya beat me to the punch with that joke.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
heavy as f**k and will be a bit awkward to join the neck onto it...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by supersac
it'd probabaly be good for rock

What about STONEr ROCK?

/fail
Where's Waldo?
I know Ibanez made a solid brass guitar.
Guitars
Washburn A20V 1981
Stagg SG300
BC Rich DLXJRVO
Ibanez Iceman
Jackson King V
Epiphone Special II
Epiphone Embassy IV
Martin D-16RGT
Ibanez EW20WNE
Quote by asmithgdci
I know Ibanez made a solid brass guitar.

You are aware that brass is a metal, right?
Where's Waldo?
There is a VST plug-in that's meant to make your guitar sound like it's made of different things (including concrete and human flesh). Can't remember what it's called but I had it downloaded once.

Edit: Found it! http://www.acmebargig.com/product/red-shift/
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Dec 19, 2011,
Quote by mike_oxbig
technically it's an alloy....

I believe that it's still a metal, but it's not pure.

I'm sure it a brass guitar would be great for metal.

/fail
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by chadreed32
You are aware that brass is a metal, right?

since when?!
Guitars
Washburn A20V 1981
Stagg SG300
BC Rich DLXJRVO
Ibanez Iceman
Jackson King V
Epiphone Special II
Epiphone Embassy IV
Martin D-16RGT
Ibanez EW20WNE
Quote by mike_oxbig
this thread is in serious danger of overdosing on puns

The guy with the stone guitar who plays stoner rock overdosed.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by ChemicalFire
There is a VST plug-in that's meant to make your guitar sound like it's made of different things (including concrete and human flesh). Can't remember what it's called but I had it downloaded once.

Edit: Found it! http://www.acmebargig.com/product/red-shift/

Hah!

I particularily loved their disclaimer at the bottom!
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
1) A solidbody of the right kind of stone should have excellent sustain, but would be heavy (unless chambered and or thin) and might be brittle.

2) Stone can be quite resonant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twKeGKsT-EU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8ycuDy90ks&feature=youtube_gdata_player

3) brass is and always will be a metal, specifically an alloy of the metals copper and zinc.

4) good luck getting one made!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 19, 2011,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Now these are actually convincing.

Though it would indeed be far too heavy to have a whole guitar made of stone, but imagine a guitar made of a typical tone wood (mahogany, alder, etc.) but have a top made of marble, or even bloodstone.

You can't deny a guitar topped with this would look awesome:

You can't deny a guitar topped with this would look awesome

Another hobby of mine is jewelry design, and I can tell you Mother Nature has some STOOPID-KOOL stones out there that would make killer guitars...at least visually. Maybe even auditorially.

Rutilated quartz...Gibeon meteorite...moonstone...gold-in-quartz...snowflake obsidian...moss agate...picture jasper...chysocolla & malachite...jade.

Definitely wouldn't want to try the guitar windmill around the neck trick with one, though- someone's liable to get killed!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 19, 2011,
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Maybe to cut weight, you could go for a RKS or Steinberger-style body.

I meet a dude who was looking at guitar mags and he started talking to me about his friend who used to make them out of granite. Supposedly they sounded very bright and obvuisly were super heavy.

Also no thread was better than the lightbulb thread except for the boner thread
Quote by mike_oxbig
technically it's an alloy....

technically its still not a stone
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
technically its still not a stone

True, but as metals are refined from ores- stone- there will be certain similarities in terms of resonance and sustain...and with greater toughness and less weight.

Oh shiz, what have I done?

I put a link in that original post, stop arguing whether brass is a stone or not. This isn't a Dobro thread. -_-
Where's Waldo?
I've seen a few of them turn up for sale on ebay. They are out there, usually home builds though, I don't believe a manufacturer has ever done it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Well, I already PLAYED a guitar made from solid stone on the Musikmesse 2011. A dealer exhibited his custom build "Stonehenge-Guitar", with a solid granite body and a wooden neck (maple I believe) and after I challenged him, by louldy wondering if said guitar would even sound anything near decent, he actually asked me to play this guitar, and I gotta say that it was awesome. Great sustain, attack was very good, and it sounded truly great. Great for Blues, Rock, Blues-Rock and even Metal. Not a jazz guitar though and very, very heavy. I had to play it sitting down, since it was too heavy for any belt.
Conclusions: Great guitar, looks great, plays great, sounds awesome, unique instrument, body is completely indestructible, nicely balanced and as far from neck heavy as you can get. Bit too heavy though. (And too pricey, Tag on it was 30000€, or at least that's what I remember.)
the fender custom shop has an artist guitar series in which they give builders free range to do what ever they want. one of these was in fact made of some sort of stone if my memory serves me correctly, I believe it was a strat with some sort of egyptian thyme.
"The beer I had for breakfast was pretty good, so I had another."
-Cash
one of the few ideas I had but never actually researched if anyone else had done it because as a player, tech, and professionally a stone mason, figured it was a stupid idea. I was thinking all stone body and neck mind, purely as a piece of artwork to present to a few friendly guitarists I know, one of which is infact an artist now with a gallery locally which would be a cool place to display it.

Having seen this I might start keeping an eye out for a suitable piece of granit again.
jeebus crap bronze is a metal.

holy shit mined from stone. so it's gotta be stone?

what in the name of flying ****.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Cornishrob

Having seen this I might start keeping an eye out for a suitable piece of granit again.

I bet you can find some good stuff from the places that stock material for countertops.

Heck, you might try practicing on materials like corian or silestone.

given a quarter of an inch thick...1.5 feet wide and 2 feet long..

a slab of granite weighs 10 pounds.

normal guitar sized slab at 1.8 inches weighs 76 pounds.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Page 1 of 2