I should know what to get, because I've been playing forever (since I was just a kid in the 60's). The problem is I've been using line 6 stuff for the last dozen years or so, and I've become tired of being blown away in live settings by guitar players using real tube amps.

• Budget: $800 or less
  • Style of music: rock, blues, clean, metal capability (with pedal addon?)
  • Effects: suggestions? I used to use MXR and Boss stuff way back when, but I'm not up to speed on what's good these days (again, been using line 6)

I'd like to come up with something versatile, with a few effects pedals (delay, chorus, noise gate, volume, and wah).

How are the Fender "Hot Rod" blues amps?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
vypyr tube 120 combo with sanpera pedal
jet city 50 head with 2x12 cab and boost pedal
rebel 30 combo?
tweaker 40 head and 2x12
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".
Thanks for the input. I'd be happy to start out with a decent amp for under $800, and then add a few effects later (the ones I mentioned, but not necessarily all at the same time. I want to get a good, solid tone first, then add an effect or two).

So, a good amp first, for under $800. I play mostly smaller venues.

Also, forgot to mention my main guitar is one I put together from parts (charvel neck, strat body, Kahler whammy, Dimarzio dual sound bridge position pickup, Seymour Duncan stack pickup (strat style) situated where the middle pickup on a strat goes.
Last edited by dyoni at Dec 19, 2011,
Quote by Hunter44
vypyr tube 120 combo with sanpera pedal
jet city 50 head with 2x12 cab and boost pedal
rebel 30 combo?
tweaker 40 head and 2x12

+ Peavey Classic 30.

TS; what kind of metal?
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Heavy metal, progressive metal, maybe a little goth metal thrown in.
Quote by dyoni
Heavy metal, progressive metal, maybe a little goth metal thrown in.

Still a bit vauge. But you want an amp that can do pretty much everything, for $800?

Peavey XXX.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Thanks.

I just noticed the "Egnator" Tweak 40 head. Anyone have any opinions? I have a single Celestion 12" cab I could run that through, or even the two 12"s in my old Line 6 AX2. Reviews are good, looking for unbiased opinions on that..
tweaker does hard rock, will need some help for metal.

The brit and us modes sound good, not everyone likes the vx mode.

Some think the hot switch makes it a little muddy, could use a boost pedal instead of the switch.

It only has one eq, but has enough switches so that this may not be a problem.

I think the high gain brit mode has a lot of bass, and sounds quite nice. The us mode is more trebly.
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".