My band have started writing some songs in drop C and C#, and im just curious, would my 105-50 strings be alright in this tuning? Or would it be better to get some heavier gauge? If so what size would you recommend, and would those be able to tune back to standard? Or would it be better to sort out my other bass and use that?

Thanks in advance.
The 105-50 warwick strings that I use definitely can't handle much past a drop D. You might be just ok for the drop C# but the strings would be very unpractical to play. What you could do is buy a set of five-string bass strings and then use what was meant to be the B as the C but it would be very hard to play in standard tuning.
Its mainly C# i think there is only the one in C, but still a heavier gauge would be far better then? I dont like floppy strings at all... What gauge would be best for C# something like a 110 or 115?
My brother uses 110-50 DR Hi-Beam set at the moment for Drop C, he thinks that he is going to get a little bit beefier higher strings, otherwise it's fine.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

To do a slight thread jack, I too will be playing with a band in down tuning, more specifically C standard, I already have several basses so this will be set and forget c standard. After a lame trip to GC (which is now 4 min from my house) I can't find any strings that go past .105 except a GHS Heavy set that is .115.

I want flatwound, heavy strings that can take a c standard tuning with minimal price and hopefully setup. I have read about taking a 5 set and nixing the high G, but while .105 seemed too low, .132 seemed pretty large for my modded squier P.
Quote by SamWhiteBASS
My band have started writing some songs in drop C and C#, and im just curious, would my 105-50 strings be alright in this tuning? Or would it be better to get some heavier gauge? If so what size would you recommend, and would those be able to tune back to standard? Or would it be better to sort out my other bass and use that?

Thanks in advance.

Take a look at using DR, they have a set that are perfect for drop tuning with the E at 115. When I used to write in drop C the tension was perfect.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
110 for c# standard
115 for drop C.

I've been using ernie ball power slinkies for 2 years in Drop C now and there great although when dropping the D to C It is bar far good enough, but a 115 would be perfect tension.

DR, Ernie ball, Dunlop all do 110's im pretty sure.