I've had this old epiphone les paul studio for agesss. I bought it second hand when I didn't really know what I was looking for, but I loved how it looked and it played better than my starter kit strat, so i got it for about £100.

Anyway, I've since learnt a lot about guitars (I've been playing for about 8/9 years now) and realised that this guitar has some serious problems. After sitting in its case unplayed for years, i've decided to fix it up. First things first, tuners. This thing never ever stays in tune for more than 30 mins.

The pics below show the state they are in. I'm just looking for some advice really on how to sort these out. Do I need to replace them? or are they repairable. I'd like to keep this with original parts as much as possible as I have no money at all.

Hopefully those pictures work... aha.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give me.
First off check all the screws in the end of all the little buttons and make sure they're secure, that may be enough to stabilize the tuning.

If the tuners keep being dodgy unscrew them on the back, and take the main machines out, it looks like the bushings (the little metal bits that the posts stick through) are a bit loose, so take them out, cover them in a good wood glue and stick em back in flush and wait until they dry. Put the tuners back on and make sure they don't wobble as much. The glue probably won't bond to the bushings as long as you use wood glue and can be cleaned out if you ever have to replace the tuners completely.

Other things that help tuning stability are replacing the nut, and sometimes the bridge, but unless you're getting frequent string breaks at the bridge you won't need to upgrade the bridge unless you fancy getting a roller bridge.

If you wish to replace: http://www.axesrus.com/Axe3x3Machine.html
Scroll down to "Kluson Style Wilkinson Deluxe Chicago Strip Machine Heads" they should fit your guitar but you will probably want to check the measurements to be sure.

Nut: http://www.axesrus.com/axeNuts.htm
Scroll to "43mm Les Paul Style Graphite Compound Nuts"

Bridge:
Scrol to "Roller Nashville Les Paul bridge" with either 4mm or 6mm studs depending on your guitar. Looks like 6mm from all the pics I can find of the studio.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
I took the tuners away from the guitar completely, then put them back on, just to see how they work and sit in the wood. It looks like bushings (the little cylinders/washers that keep the pegs tight in the wood? have i got that right?) have been glued before.

They sit in the holes nicely, until i push the pegs through them. The pegs seem to not be parallel with each other, and as they are all joined together this stops the bushings sitting flush against the wood. Is this a big problem? or will it be good as long as it doesn't wobble at all?

All of my other guitars tuners sit nice and flush against the wood. I'm thinking independent tuners that aren't joined together might solve the problem?
I decided to replace the tuners, and see if that helps. The ones GABarrie (thanks for you help by the way) posted above seem to be exactly the same and are cheap so I was thinking they would be fine: http://www.axesrus.com/Axe3x3Machine.html

The holes for the pegs are about 10mm, so can someone just clarify that I need the tuners with "10.5mm reducers" NOT "8.6mm Bushes". I just want to be 100% I'm ordering the right part.
yeh, the reducers is what you want

EDIT: happy to help bud, I'm a sucker to wine red guitars, just can't help myself.
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Last edited by GABarrie at Jan 5, 2012,
I got the tuners today, and they don't quite fit in the holes like the old ones did. Are they the wrong size? or do is this common and I need to file the holes a little? I'm apprehensive to file the holes as I don't want to crack the finish on the front of the headstock.
file carefully with a round file from the front of the headstock, that will stop any cracking on the front of the headstock, if you're careful not to catch the back at an angle you shouldn't get any breakout there either, you want the bushings to go in reasonably snuggly without any wobble though so if they go in with a good push then that is what you want to do
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Tuners are all sorted now; bridge is set up; new strings added, and it plays infinitely better than I ever thought it would. Taking the time to do a good set up works wonders - life lesson learnt. Its been a few days now since I did all this and no problems so far (played it every day)!

Thank you your help GABarrie!

Your reward is these pics of the finish. Hopefully you can see why I want to put the effort in to doing this thing up!

Holy balls that looks amazing. Are you serious about you getting it for 100 euro?!? I would assume if you did it was used, but how does it look so perfect now? Also did you replace the pickups?
that's a guitar worth upgrading /love
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Looking back I believe it was £150 including a hard case. It was pretty scummy when i got it, but since having all the strings off to change tuners it's scrubbed up nice!

It was used, yes. I didn't upgrade the pickups, yet. I plan to completely re-wire the whole thing with new pickups, but only when I've got enough money to do it properly!

Lemon Oil sounds like a good idea, I'll try and pick some up.

Thanks for the interest guys!
My god, is it really epiphone, the only thing I've seen that was actuallly beautiful by epiphone was the epiphone scroll, of course until now, that thing is gorgeous, if you don't want to upgrade her, I'll take it off your hands haha
Have fun mate, and yeah the lemon oil will work wonders on that fret board!!
"When the power of love over comes the love of power the world will know peace."
~Jimi Hendrix
check out irongear pickups (axetec.co.uk)

I have the blues+torque combo in my LP and I love it, and they're reasonably priced, theyre just as good as DiMarzios or SDs but because the guy who makes them sells them himself and only himself there's no mark up from wholesale and retail.

http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec%20guitar%20parts%20spares%20pickups_044.htm

link to the set I'm using
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Thanks for the pickup suggestion! Would they be suitable for the genres I play? I've never upgraded pickups before. I play mainly indie/rock (we are scientists, two door cinema club, Darwin Deez) and Metalcore (alexisonfire, yashin, fightstar, we are the ocean). Does anyone have any other suggestions for pickups that might be suitable?

The top colour is just stock. Just a lot of polishing to bring the shine back out!
will work for the indie/rock, would need a bit of help for metalcore (a good drive and/or distortion pedal and a suitable high gain amp) but to be fair even the best metal pickups can sound flat through the wrong amp
Ibanez WD7 Wah