This should be in the cover forum..........but since you asked

I hate the tone itself, might need more mids but its hard to tell. Cover is meh.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Tone is subjective. What you like might sound like total crap to someone else and vice versa. Your tone is o.k., but not something I personally like.
Any suggestions how to fatten it up? I've tried applying some EQ but that's as fat as it can get without being overly noisy. Maybe you can give me some ideas, i donno .

Btw my chain is guitar -> golden age pre 73 -> m-audio FTP -> DAW -> guitar rig 4
Last edited by martinbg at Dec 19, 2011,
Double track it maybe?

dont use such scooped mids and maybe try and re work the drum track/general levels?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
It's already double tracked, I'll try playing a bit more with the cab knobs. Do you think it needs more low end?
how did you double track it?

yeah, more low end would help, i guess you have no bass guitar either do you?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
That tone's pretty decent actually. Hard pan the guitars and put a bass in there and it'd sound pretty good. Metal guitars are heavily scooped and the power comes from the bass.

Edit: Would help to know how you've double tracked it. ADT?
Last edited by piop at Dec 19, 2011,
Quote by martinbg
It's already double tracked, I'll try playing a bit more with the cab knobs. Do you think it needs more low end?

What were your amp's EQ settings when you played this? I'd agree with the thin comment - the tone wasn't bad, but it could've use a bit more balls in my opinion.

By the way, I'd assume based on your Soundcloud name that you're a DotA player?
Well i panned bridge pickup left 51, neck pickup right 51. Both mono tracks go to a group track that has EQ. I boosted the mids, lowered the bass and boosted the highs. And yes there is no bass guitar here . There is another guitar centered which plays some harmonies at the background, very subtile. Btw thanks for your feedback guys, highly appriciated!
Quote by :-D
What were your amp's EQ settings when you played this? I'd agree with the thin comment - the tone wasn't bad, but it could've use a bit more balls in my opinion.

By the way, I'd assume based on your Soundcloud name that you're a DotA player?

Yes thats right dude, and fan of Blink182 when i was 14 that is
EQ settings on the cab were 4 bass 1mid 6treble, i played with them a bit but i dont like the outcome. I guess i would better fiddle with the post EQ.
It's not really anything to do with your EQ settings, it's a nice scooped tone as it is. You need to hard pan the guitars and maybe add some compression to make it more punchy. But the thinness is mainly down to not having a bass in there. Guitars in a band scenario will always sound bad on their own, accept it.
Quote by piop
It's not really anything to do with your EQ settings, it's a nice scooped tone as it is. You need to hard pan the guitars and maybe add some compression to make it more punchy. But the thinness is mainly down to not having a bass in there. Guitars in a band scenario will always sound bad on their own, accept it.

I was suspecting that this might be part of the problem
I'll try hard panning both tracks now, add a little on the bass freq and see how this turns out.
Thanks for your input
Quote by coolstoryangus
nu metal called, they want there lame tone back.

LOL, tell them they can have it once im finished with it :p
But its kinda where Im aiming, your right
Last edited by martinbg at Dec 19, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
nu metal called, they want there lame tone back.

they certainly don't want their grammar back though, they like it how it is now.

i thought the distortion was too nasally, lots and lots of high end. did you try micing a cab, before going into a pre?
Last edited by Ashe_Mc at Dec 19, 2011,
Quote by Ashe_Mc
they certainly don't want their grammar back though, they like it how it is now.

i thought the distortion was too nasally, lots and lots of high end. did you try micing a cab, before going into a pre?

No, i just plugged my instrument directly into the pre. It has a dedicated TRS input for instruments and acts like a DI. On another note i was able to bypass the infamous (for their crap coloring) m-audio fast track pro preamps and the clean tone is now really clean. I'm sure I could get better tone micing a cab but unfortunately i dont have a decent amp at the moment so I must remain in the digital domain for now . I'm working on your suggestions and I think i got better results now. I added some compression and panned hard left and right. I also added some mids.
Kinda sounded..."fizzy" to me...
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by martinbg
I was suspecting that this might be part of the problem
I'll try hard panning both tracks now, add a little on the bass freq and see how this turns out.
Thanks for your input

Sorry I was referring to bass guitar. You could maybe add a bit more mid rather than low end freqs, but you're trying to mix guitars in isolation rather than against a fully tracked song, which means it's next to impossible to make it sound as full as you want.

Edit: It's also good to remember to bring the distortion on individual tracks down a bit when double tracking, because the gain builds up and can end up being more fuzz-like than you want.
Last edited by piop at Dec 19, 2011,
Quote by piop
Sorry I was referring to bass guitar. You could maybe add a bit more mid rather than low end freqs, but you're trying to mix guitars in isolation rather than against a fully tracked song, which means it's next to impossible to make it sound as full as you want.

Edit: It's also good to remember to bring the distortion on individual tracks down a bit when double tracking, because the gain builds up and can end up being more fuzz-like than you want.

Thank you, this was a good tip. I know it's like common sense but i didn't thought of it . Now it sounds way way better, the 'fuzz' is gone.

And i knew you were talking about bass guitar but i was taking into account what Tom said about the low end. But I ended up not touching the bass frequencies, I'll leave the room for the bass guitar as you suggested. I added mids and now it sounds kinda fatter.

Thanks all for your input, you helped me alot actually
This is the exact tone i think of when i think of a boss MT-2.

Basically, shaking around a hive of bees in a metal trash can would sound better to be honest.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬