I just finished initialling actives onto my guitar which had passives in it. So I had to switch out the pots and such. It looks cool, and sounds great, but for some reason, The volume doesn't work. the guitar is "stuck" at max output, and turning the knob does nothing. Ive checked the wires and everything seems good. The tone knob does its job and so does the 3 way switch.

Im thinking i may have burned out the pot by exposing too much heat too it? I'm hoping not, because then I would have to re-solder everything...
nature always sides with the hidden flaw
I did that to a small extent on my strat, though mine still works somewhat. It could be possible I think, but I am still very new to gear modification myself.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by *unforgiven*
Still havnt solved this... (bump)

If you're volume pot is "stuck" on full output, the lead that's supposed to connect the signal to ground as you turn the pot isn't sending any of the signal to ground, i.e. it's not connected to ground. It's either that or the pot's fried. Do you have a continuity tester? I would check the connection to ground first, burning pots out takes a considerable amount of time/heat from an iron...
O yay, I had this problem actually just recently. I noticed the lug that was wired to ground looked a little, burnt, in a way. I tried moving the connection basically farther up the lug and closer to the pot itself, which actually fixed it

So you could try that, although it's tricky and risky. I ended up trying to perfect it and managed to fry it beyond working condition and had to order new pot (pain in my ass) but now that it came, the problem is resolved. So I guess that's two possible options for ya
[thread="1427660"]Clarence the Mockingbird[/thread]
Ill have to check all the ground wires again; I don't have a continuity tester, this is the first I've done of this kind of thing. thats why Im thinking i burnt it out, my soldering was... interesting lol.

What do you mean by "lug" ladna? I already have extra pots so, its not a huge deal if I have to.
Lug as in one of the three prongs on the pot, one goes to ground, one comes in, and the middle one goes to jack, for my wiring anyways

I'd say just sticking a new one in is your best bet, if the wires all go to the right place then the problem must be in the pot itself
[thread="1427660"]Clarence the Mockingbird[/thread]
Hey guys... Ive tried messing around with it and nothing worked, so I replaced the entire pot. this however, did not solve the problem. Ive put all the wires back to the some place, the place it says in the instructions, but the volume knob doesn't affect the sound at all. It still works, and sounds great, but just no volume control.

For the record I've installed Blackouts into my Jackson guitar with one volume and one tone knob.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Are you using a 25k pot? that makes a difference with actives.

x2

Sounds like this is your issue.
Picture?

And what volume/tone knob config do you have along with the selector?
Here are some pics. There are several points that I suspect to be grounds. There a screw in the cavity, as well as one in each pickup cavities...

Oh, by the way, The top pot is supposed to be the volume, I don't know what exactly governs this, but yea. Also, I know the soldering isn't top notch, Don't make fun lol
We aren't here to make fun of it or you.
Last edited by R45VT at Jan 16, 2012,
The extra lug on the volume needs to be soldered to the case of the pot.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2hum_1vol_1tone_super5way

Sometimes it easier to solder a few of the wires to the side of the pot instead of the flat spot on the back. Takes a lot more heat.

Also get some foam to wrap the battery in. It will hold up much better then the tape.

Also is that a eerie swirl RR3?
Last edited by R45VT at Jan 16, 2012,
The extra lug on the volume needs to be soldered to the case of the pot.

Ohhhhhhhhh, Thats probably what it is. I totally missed what that meant in the picture... Ima heat up my iron and try it out.

Sometimes it easier to solder a few of the wires to the side of the pot instead of the flat spot on the back. Takes a lot more heat.

Good tip, thanks

Also get some foam to wrap the battery in. It will hold up much better then the tape.

Yeah, Ive only got it like that too test if it works and what not, only temporary, I assure you

Also is that a eerie swirl RR3?

Nope, SLSMG

(Before pic)
YAY, I just finished soldering it up, And now it works perfect! Thanks a bunch guys!
never mind, Its not really fixed... Now when Its at the lowest volume, Sometimes it cracks because it can go to full volume in a certain spot... but once its out of that spot the volume goes up normally, and it only happens sometimes, you have to fiddle with it. Its real weird, and to explain it I may have to post a video [tomorrow]... Ive tried soldering around, but i can't get it to stop doing this now LoL. Its pretty annoying
Quote by lumberjack
If you're volume pot is "stuck" on full output, the lead that's supposed to connect the signal to ground as you turn the pot isn't sending any of the signal to ground, i.e. it's not connected to ground. It's either that or the pot's fried. Do you have a continuity tester? I would check the connection to ground first, burning pots out takes a considerable amount of time/heat from an iron...

Thanks, this helped me. The "ground lug" on the volume potentiometer was touching, but the soldering was cracked. I fixed this and the volume works .