Washing noses with neti pots or squeeze bottles has become increasingly popular as a home remedy for colds, allergies and sinus trouble. But it's not such a great remedy if it kills you.

Now that two people have died from infection with brain-eating amoebas after using neti pots, doctors are warning: do not put tap water up your nose.

"Drinking water is good to drink, very safe to drink, but not to push up your nose," says Raoult Ratard, state epidemiologist for the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals. Two residents of his state have died after using neti pots this year, the first known deaths associated with neti pots. "The first one could have been a fluke," Ratard told Shots. But now that we have a second one, the only explanation is the use of the neti pot."

The first death came in June, when a 20-year-old man died of encephalitis caused by infection with Naegleria fowleri. That amoeba is common in rivers and lakes, but only very rarely causes brain infections. Back in August, we reported on several deaths in children who had been jumping or diving in fresh water. But since adults are less likely to be doing cannonballs, they're also less likely to be infected.

Then in October, a 51-year-old Louisiana woman died of encephalitis. The doctor thought to ask if she used a neti pot. Both her brain tissue and her home's tap water tested positive for the microbe. Ratard says: "They found the amoeba, the lady was using a neti pot, and had no contact whatsoever with surface water."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/12/19/143960631/second-neti-pot-death-from-amoeba-prompts-tap-water-warning

good thing the only thing i shove up my nose is my finger.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Luckily the water has to go all the way up the nose in a forceful manner and that I don't like swimming.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Like the South, where water is warm, fresh, stagnant.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by daytripper75
Only if you live in an area where the water is infected...

apparently the amoeba isnt that rare, its just rare for the infection to take place in the body.

but if you do get infected, youre boned because there is only around a 1% survival rate.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
In other news: You're much more likely to get killed in a car accident every day, but nobody freaks out over that
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
In other news: You're much more likely to get killed in a car accident every day, but nobody freaks out over that

I don't even know what a neti pot is.

I have a cold now, and I still either use a tissue, or suck it back and spit it out of the way of people. Why in gods name would you squirt water up your nose?!
Quote by StewieSwan

But that's not nearly sensational enough!
I have literally never heard of a neti-pot. I just googled it and they look absolutely retarded. Just whack on a shit load of vapour rub and you're good to go.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

The bigger problem is brain-eating amoebae are in the water.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

That's so sad.

Can you imagine going through life with your last name "Ratard"
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by daytripper75
But that's not nearly sensational enough!

some day when you catch a nose jigger that eats your brain, youll rue the day that you made this post
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
I have one because of bad sinuses. You are supposed to boil the water first.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!