Ive been playing for 2.5 years and i can play Just about every Metallica song with ease minus most of Kirks solos. Is this above average for someone who has been playing for as long as me? I dont know as I have No1 to compare with...
I have been playing for about the same, and I can play very little Metallica. Though I have only recently started dabbling in metal. Do you understand what you are playing? Or did you learn the song by tab/ear?
I'd say (without hearing you) that you are decent. A tip though would be to branch out from Metallica, as the resident Nevermore fanboi, I'd recommend them
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
Telling us what you think you can do means nothing.

Also: there is no "level" you should be at for how long you've been playing; there are two things in playing: things you can do and things you can't do. Once you realise this your thought process becomes much simpler: "Can I do this thing I want to do? If not, practice it." Nothing else matters.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
2.5 years of Metallica? that in itself is impressive in some way....
Strange, It seems like a character mutation, Though I have all the means, of bringing you fuckers down, I can't make myself, To destroy upon command, Somehow forgiveness, lets the evil make a loss - Danger Mouse/Sparklehorse/Wayne Coyne
Quote by metalic186
Ive been playing for 2.5 years and i can play Just about every Metallica song with ease minus most of Kirks solos. Is this above average for someone who has been playing for as long as me? I dont know as I have No1 to compare with...

Listen to Zaphod - he's right.

Nobody can have the slightest idea as to how "good" you are unless they can actually hear you play.

Likewise there's no "should", you've either learned stuff or you haven't - whatever other people have or haven't done has absolutely no bearing on your own progress.

In short, post an mp3 to your profile or link to a vid of your playing, otheriwse I'll have to lock this.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Telling us what you think you can do means nothing

This.

You might think you can do it, but you're probably just playing the notes. Watch someone of maybe 10 years play the exact same thing and you'll notice a tremendous difference. There's more to playing than just hitting the right note.

Also, you haven't linked a video of yourself. How should we know if you're good or not?
Quote by Blargaha
I'd say (without hearing you) that you are decent. A tip though would be to branch out from Metallica, as the resident Nevermore fanboi, I'd recommend them

This. This, this, this.
Definately branch out from Metallica. Perhaps something more modern. Of course try to discover something that you like (personally I'm not a nevermore fanboi, I do like Loomis though).

Also, it's terribly hard to rate someones playing without hearing you. 2 people "can play" a certain song, but the other one could do it decently when the other one could play it brilliantly. Technique, cleanliness, stuff like these are really hard to know without hearing even if you say you can play a certain song or piece.
Quote by metalic186

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Telling us what you think you can do means nothing.

Also: there is no "level" you should be at for how long you've been playing; there are two things in playing: things you can do and things you can't do. Once you realise this your thought process becomes much simpler: "Can I do this thing I want to do? If not, practice it." Nothing else matters.

Do you know every note on the fretboard off by heart. What note is 9th fret d string ? Did you answer B within a second or two ?

Can you construct chords and use your knowledge of harmony to choose suitable scales to solo over the top of them ?

Can you think outside the box and use accidentals to add a certain flavour to your improv ?

Can you deliver interesting melodic and rhythmic phrases in your improvisation ?

Have you established who your influences are and have you studied and analysed their music ?

Have you played with other musicians and can you easily lock into a groove ?

Just pointing out that there are a lot better ways to judge someones ability other than how many metallica songs they can play. I would expect some who has been playing for 2.5 years to be able to do the above stuff ?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Nothing else matters.

... I see what you did there.

Edit: And I was beaten to the punch. Oh, well...
Compared to you 2.5 years ago you are probably excellent. Compared to you in 20 years time, you are probably crap.
Quote by Lord Kamina
... I see what you did there.

Edit: And I was beaten to the punch. Oh, well...

I find it amusing that anyone thinks I did that on purpose
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

You didn't? I was impressed
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Maybe it was your subconscious; add some more penises and Freud would be proud!