So I've done a little research on here, but still unsure about what monitors to get. Right now all I have is a set of Sony MDR-7506 headphones that I use to record and mix. But it's tough to get everything where it needs to be when you're mixing through headphones. I've been putting the songs on my phone and playing them through my stereo system in my car. It's nothing special, but with the sub it kind of gives me an idea where I'm at in the mix. Still I know I need a good set of monitors.

I've read that you need at least a 5" speaker to be able to mix properly. I'm trying to get more serious about my recording, but I don't have the equipment and I'm on a small budget. Right now I'm just using a Line 6 UX1 for an interface. I've got Reaper and a slew of amp sims and vst plugins to use. Guitar wise I have a Schecter Damien Solo Elite & an Alvarez acoustic/electric. And my bass is a 4 string Peavey Millenium BXP.

Pretty much I don't want to spend more than $300 to $400 on monitors. I'll probably be ordering them from Zzounds so I can make payments. I don't need the best of the best, but I want some that will last me through other equipment upgrades and what not.
Tbh, for mixing metal 5" is still too small. I'd say 6 is the bare minimum. I'd go for a used set of KRK Rokits.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

I'm very skeptical when it comes to anything with used speakers. But from what I've read a lot of people do suggest KRK's. I like to do more than just metal or anything heavy in general. Most of what I do does fall along those lines, but I want to be able to expand out as well.

I've read some pretty good things about these, but I'm iffy about it being Behringers

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHB2031A