I am new to the re-tubing thing, having recently converted to the more expensive, yet even more awesome world of tube amplifiers. However, It's been a little over a year of moderate use, and I know it's about time to change the power tubes. I have an Ampeg R50H, and have no idea IF or even HOW to bias the amp after I change the Tube.

I have read the owner's manual, and have found nothing about re-tubing or biasing the amp. There are no ports to connect a voltmeter to, and no pots to adjust the bias (that I can find anyway).

Also, are there any recommendations for a good matched pair of EL34's? The current ones are sovtek, and I like the tone, but I also know they are the "low end" of tubes, and if I invested so much in buying a great amp, why would I put the "low end" or "stock" tubes in it? I mean REALLY?

That aside, when I re-tube the amp, do I have to bias, and if so, how do I adjust the bias with no pot? Also, I'm told that if you only need to replace power tubes every year or two, and pre-amp tubes will go for substantially longer, is this true?

Thanks in advance for your help.
If you're really not sure what to do then take it to a shop. It's better to fork up the money than screw something up. I've never had to change tubes, but from what I've read you should rebias when you do.
If the manual doesn't say anything about biasing then there is a good chance these amps are either cathode biased or non-adjustable fixed bias. In either case, if that is true, then you don't need to bias it. Just plug n play. I recommend SED =C= or Ruby STRs
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 20, 2011,
Ampeg schematics are normally pretty easy to find but I can't find one for the R50H.
Bummer. Find a schematic and we can tell you all you need to know.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 20, 2011,
Ok, it looks like it is an adjustable fixed bias. You could do a rough and ready rebiasing by measuring the voltage at the grid and adjusting the bias pot until it reads -34Vdc. Personally I'd still us a bias probe and do it properly.
PS: you have to do this with the chassis out and the amp turned on (with a speaker attached). So you'll be poking around inside on a live circuit containing lethal voltages. If you aren't used to working on high voltages I'd leave it to somebody that is.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Just to be sure, the EL34's should read the same -34 Vdc as the 6L6 tubes? I only ask because the old thread involved a R-212 which had two 6L6's in it as opposed to the EL34's in mine.

I also found a schematic. Here is the link: http://www.webphix.com/schematic%20heaven/www.schematicheaven.com/ampegamps/ampeg_r-12r_212r_50h_reverbrocket_ri.pdf
Last edited by SEALSniper1152 at Dec 20, 2011,
The bias point in these amps is the junction between R39 and R40, and you should adjust the bias to -34 VDC, according to the schematic and according to Ampeg when I talked to them.

The schematic doesn't make a distinction between the EL84s and 6L6s, so I would guess that -34 V is correct in both cases.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...