I have been googling a while and have searched on this site but have not really come up with my answer. I am going to be modding my ds-1 soon, and the main components that I am going to be replacing are resistors. Here's my question: besides size, are there any other ways to tell a resistors wattage by looking at it? If not I guess I can dig a little further to find the ds-1s values, but I would imagine that a one with a higher wattage would work fine so long as you could fit it on the board? thanks everyone
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Resistors aren't measured by wattage, they're measured in ohms. You can find the value by looking at the coloured bands. It's kinda complicated, but you can figure it out, wikipedia is your friend.
The only way i know how to tell is size. All of the resistors in the ds-1 are 1/8 watt. From what i understand the larger wattage are more likely to allow noise into the signal.
I understand that they are measured in ohms. Resistance is all about that. But there are different wattage resistors as well, take a gander at some large retail stores, radioshack has 1/4 Watt 1/8 Watt 1 Watt and 2 Watt resistors, all rated at 4.7k. This is where the confusion comes in
Quote by jerm_corn
The only way i know how to tell is size. All of the resistors in the ds-1 are 1/8 watt. From what i understand the larger wattage are more likely to allow noise into the signal.

Thanks, saves me some trouble. Wish there was a better way to confirm em, other than size, but at least I have the value I need for now. Much appreciated
Quote by dementiacaptain
Thanks, saves me some trouble. Wish there was a better way to confirm em, other than size, but at least I have the value I need for now. Much appreciated

larger resistors are less noisy then smaller wattage ones.

the only way to tell is by size...

but all the sizes are standardized so there's no reason to have another indicator.

there's only like 5 sizes.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Well I kinda figured it would be the larger ones that were less noisy, but I am inexperienced so I didn't want to call anyone out. I probably will stick with 1/8, just for the sake of fitting everything in, I don't have a problem with noise anyway, but maybe 1/4 just for the hell of it. Thanks Min, I was actually just going to ask in the wtlt thread but I figured I'd better make a thread.
Body size determines resistor wattage for carbon and metal films.

For carbon and metal films, the coloured bands only outline the base resistance, multiplier and tolerance.

For larger wirewound resistors the wattage is sometimes stamped on the body.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Well I kinda figured it would be the larger ones that were less noisy, but I am inexperienced so I didn't want to call anyone out. I probably will stick with 1/8, just for the sake of fitting everything in, I don't have a problem with noise anyway, but maybe 1/4 just for the hell of it. Thanks Min, I was actually just going to ask in the wtlt thread but I figured I'd better make a thread.

well on those boss pedals at least you're gonna have a difficult time fitting in resistors that are much bigger then whats used in there already.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer