Poll: Do You Agree
Poll Options
View poll results: Do You Agree
Yes
44 70%
No
19 30%
Voters: 63.
First of all, congratulations to me for losing my thread-starter virginity (first thread made). Secondly, do you agree with that quote?

Many people have adhered to this viewpoint for as long as men have been striving to achieve. The issue is essentially that the quality and ambition of your actions are more important than the actual success. I'm not referring to leaving behind legacies or being remembered in history for your grand pursuits; this can apply to anything, big or small, such as trying to fold your clothes perfectly or spending 5 years writing one masterful song but never finishing.

Personally, I do abide by this system. To me, there is no point in trying if you don't want to achieve your absolute best. But it does have it's drawbacks: time consuming, sense of lack of achievement, and sometimes you just lose the will to try your hardest.

So once again, do you agree or disagree with that statement and please explain.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Last edited by DonGlover at Dec 20, 2011,
Both.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
I've come to accept the futility of my existence and the standards I have established for myself have lowered considerably. Though it is an admirable sentiment that draws from Confucian ideals (though the notion probably predates Confucianism).
Striving for perfection is great, but at some point you really do have to call enough enough and move on.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I don't attempt perfection. I just attempt. If I do the thing well, then cool. If not, I rethink whether I want to do well at said thing.

In most cases, I find that it's more important to travel well than to arrive.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Another thing I'd like to add to the discussion is people's differing standards of perfection and whether people can really have a lower standard of perfection whilst being aware that someone has a higher standard. Does this negate the very idea of perfection? Because someone with standard of what perfection is requires little effort to achieve it.
A SIGNATURE.
perfection is perfection. if you take out the perspective aspect of the idea, then you're taking away the mixed standards by which perfection is perceived. If one man can clearly idealize perfection, than how is another mans clouded perception of perfection actually perfect?
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
there is no such thing as being perfect.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
You should always aim high. Machiavelli says it best when he invokes an archer metaphor. Knowing the strength of their bows, they always aim a bit higher than their actual target, so falling short, they're still where they want to be.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
i always thought a thread with the title taken from a CM Punk quote would be epic.....guess i am wrong
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Quote by silent caution
i always thought a thread with the title taken from a CM Punk quote would be epic.....guess i am wrong

Who?
A SIGNATURE.
"Do not strive for perfection. The person who believes that perfection is possible is deluded. Instead strive for excellence in everything you do"
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
"Do not strive for perfection. The person who believes that perfection is possible is deluded. Instead strive for excellence in everything you do"

You're missing the point though. Like I said in the title, you're striving for perfection but do not achieve it. The point is to aim as high as possible so that falling short of perfection means you still achieve something great rather than saying "Well, I can't achieve perfection, so I won't even try."
A SIGNATURE.
nah mediocre life is good for me, too lazy to attempt to succeed.... If ive learned anything from life it is the quote from Homer Simpson "Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try" and "Trying is the first step towards failure"
Impeccable, brilliant logic.
Quote by DonGlover
You're missing the point though. Like I said in the title, you're striving for perfection but do not achieve it. The point is to aim as high as possible so that falling short of perfection means you still achieve something great rather than saying "Well, I can't achieve perfection, so I won't even try."

We might just have two different understandings. My view is, why bother saying youre going to do something perfect and then be surprised when it doesn't turn out perfect, when it is literally impossible. Instead, striving for excellence is a more realistic and human goal.

Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
I agree with the correct spelling of 'Succeed'.

Lol OT though:

Perfection is just a state of mind. If you think something is perfect then, to you, that thing IS perfection.

Also, excellence is overrated.
Yes. I agree
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
It's a good idea, but just as you can't get bogged down in minute details, you can't be a dreamer and only focused on big, long-term goals. If you want to succeed at something sometimes you have to recognise that it'll take a while, and instead set modest short-term goals.

/serious
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
Quote by RU Experienced?
I've come to accept the futility of my existence and the standards I have established for myself have lowered considerably. Though it is an admirable sentiment that draws from Confucian ideals (though the notion probably predates Confucianism).

Sigh. This post spoke to me in ways that have depressed me.
Feels accurate to me.

actually now that i think about it, it pretty much reflects my life
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
I live life like a normal ****ing person and don't **** about with pretentious mantras.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by TheBurningFish
I live life like a normal ****ing person and don't **** about with pretentious mantras.

We've got a badass over here.

Where is there even a mantra in this?
Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand
i dont attempt perfection. perfection can only be, it cant be obtained. i attempt to try my best and i know what my best is. i dont always attempt my best, not everything needs to be overdone. i have personal standards. i know them, and i know how high and low they are. i dont sit at one level of performance, i have a personal strive for success and success isnt obtained at a grey level of performance, that isnt considered succeeding, i consider that just doing. like rolling a blunt that falls completely apart, but just barely managed to stay lit the entire time, thats succeeding as a mediocre grey blob.
As an engineering-student, Ive been learnt that the goal when creating something, is for it to be "good enough", and be a good balance between the rewards from it and the resources spent making it. I apply that to pretty much everything, I go for making anything I do as good as possible and if I, for example, run out of time, Ill settle with whatever has been accomplished if it is good enough.
Nah. The higher you aim, the more you fall.

For me, having no ambitions is good because anything I DO achieve is more than I prepared for.

EDIT:

Person A wants to get 1000m high in the sky. He doesn't succeed and falls crashing to the ground from 900m.

Person B doesn't really want to get that high and walks up some stairs. He looks down on Person A with a bemused expression on his face.
Last edited by fender_696 at Dec 20, 2011,
Person A wants to get almost 9 km high in the sky. He succeeds and climbs Mt Everest, becoming world famous.

Person B doesn't really want to get that high and walks up some stairs. No one ever gave a fuck.
Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand