I have an Epiphone SG guitar and am currently looking for a new amp, that would be good for metal and hard rock, to replace a Marshall MG amp that I have been using for some time.

My budget is around $100 to $500

I play mostly hard rock and metal by bands like Black Sabbath and Metallica, and from extreme metal genres like Thrash and Death Metal.

I am open to either a new amp or a used amp.

I've been playing at home mostly, but still would definitely want to have an amp that would be good for gigging or for jamming with a drummer.

My location is the Bay Area of California.

Right now, I am using a Marshall MG amp.

Lately, I have grown to like Vox Valvetronix amps after testing one out at a store, but I can't decide whether to get a VT 20 or a VT 40. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether the VT 20 or 40 would work better with my guitar?
^ i agree with these. u can probably find a used 6505 for that price. the 112 combo is only $599 brand new.

or the jet city jca22 combo @$499
Peavey Ultra/XXX/JSX

I'd say a 6505 is too in flames-y. The Ultra is a bit brighter, and will do the mid gain stuff better. Also, the cleans are way better than on the 6505.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
that jet city looks nice for the price.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/2748679732.html that with a boost for the br00tier of the br00t.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/2759132519.html or this with a boost for the br00tier stuffs.

or a 6505 combo.

or a vypyr tube 60 combo. (i'd probably do this).
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 20, 2011,
6505 combo seems like too much for what he needs it for.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
6505 combo seems like too much for what he needs it for.

your sarcasm detector needs a new tube.

but in all honestly the 112 combo would probably be fine in this case.

it's not for everyone though, for sure.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I mean I'd love to have one too man, but 60 watts is kinda overkill for playing at home and light jamming. So im going with the jet city 20 watt combo with a overdrive/tube screamer, havent decided.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
then again who knows, I have a month to decide LOL.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
I mean I'd love to have one too man, but 60 watts is kinda overkill for playing at home and light jamming. So im going with the jet city 20 watt combo with a overdrive/tube screamer, havent decided.

make sure to get the jca22. that is the higher gain model and u'll have more than enough on tap with that.
Quote by andrerist
make sure to get the jca22. that is the higher gain model and u'll have more than enough on tap with that.

I will check out out for sure.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A