Page 1 of 3
Ok so the thread title is pretty abstract cos I'm a bit far gone by now; but what I mean to say is that the only thing (whether you accept/realise it or not) that you have control over is You. And given that fact (which is fact, and not just my diluted opinion) why let ANYTHING else bother you? Be it by external sources, or idealisms that you feel the need to abide by. And by colours, I mean the Paths in life that other people take, cos let's face it, the thing that concerns all of us (albeit rather mundanely) most of all is how other people percieve us. And this is ridiculous. Why are you living your life for the gratification of others, while they live for their lives for the gratification of others? While we all dispose of those who we deem 'unworthy', and place on a pedestal those who we deem 'better than us'

(EDERP): I guess I did a really bad job of explaining what I meant. What I was getting at was that (basically) you shouldn't let the actions of other be a cause for your sorrow or whatever, you 'own' your life and they 'own' theirs, and that they're completely within their rights to do what ever they want, as are you, and that therefore instead of craving affection from the External, you need to find it within yourself and stop getting upset if other people's choices don't meet your expectations.

Or whatever just hurry up and Close this thread if I'm talking utter bullshit.
Last edited by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT at Dec 20, 2011,
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
because as humans we like to share our experiences with people we care about, and care about us. we are social creatures, we enjoy others company. so why wouldnt other peoples opinions have any effect on us?
Why do you think we crave the appreciation of others, though, behind the facade of society and how intellectual we think we are. It's more deep rooted than us being 'social creatures'.
There are levels of realization, my friend, and you seem to just have broken through one of them. Once you realize this concept, how do you perceive the future? How do you perceive the role education plays in every generation from here forth that follows this currently established technocrat-god model we've built?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Why do you think we crave the appreciation of others, though, behind the facade of society and how intellectual we think we are. It's more deep rooted than us being 'social creatures'.

Can you imagine us early in our evolution? Can you imagine us at that point without some social mechanism in place? We wouldn't have made it five minutes.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
The ONLY thing that controls how happy you are, is your outlook on your situation RIGHT NOW (not on how things went down in the past, or how you think/hope things are gonna go in the future.) I think everyone just needs to realise this; instead of relentlessly looking for that outside source of self-worth that we all crave (that infact isn't anywhere out there but instead in the ~deepest~ part of us) we all just need to shut the FUCK up and accept that none of this even exists anyway.
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT

because we cant make it thru life alone. nobody likes being alone, its a dark feeling. the whole point of life is to find a mate and make more of us. we are designed to seek others and their appreciation. we do art for ourselves, but nothing is better than somebody complimenting your work. its almost as good as personal satisfaction. its a feeling like you just did something good for someone else. personally, i love making others feel wanted and good about themselves, because in turn, i feel better about myself. we like to help and be helped.
The way I'm thinking of it is, imagine a tribe of early hominids. The ones who are more attuned to others' feelings and opinions are more adept at living in social harmony with them, and reap the benefits in the form of higher survival rates and mating more often, thereby passing on this social disposition to their offspring. The ones who aren't adept at living in social harmony alienate themselves from the group and therefore don't tend to live as long or mate as often, and therefore fail to pass this entirely selfish disposition to any offspring. Whose traits are we, living hundreds of thousands of years later, more likely to have inherited?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by seeneyj

Is it your goal in life to cause as many seizures as possible?
"Of all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these: it might have been."

Quote by guitarplayer$
I was in a band in grade 7 with a could of dudes named "dabo" and tyler. My name's steve so we actually went on stage as S.T.D.
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
The ONLY thing that controls how happy you are, is your outlook on your situation RIGHT NOW (not on how things went down in the past, or how you think/hope things are gonna go in the future.) I think everyone just needs to realise this; instead of relentlessly looking for that outside source of self-worth that we all crave (that infact isn't anywhere out there but instead in the ~deepest~ part of us) we all just need to shut the FUCK up and accept that none of this even exists anyway.

UG Awards
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
It's more deep rooted than us being 'social creatures'.

Not really.
Sharing experiences helps teach the species as a whole although nowadays it's a lot more "This show is good." than "This food is safe." All it is is the species trying to help more of itself survive, and humans get a good feeling out of thinking they've helped in some way rather than it actually having a major impact. Being social creatures is one of the most important non-basic traits most successful organisms have.
Quote by synestershadows
Shai Hulud mother****er.
Quote by ErikLensherr
The way I'm thinking of it is, imagine a tribe of early hominids. The ones who are more attuned to others' feelings and opinions are more adept at living in social harmony with them, and reap the benefits in the form of higher survival rates and mating more often, thereby passing on this social disposition to their offspring. The ones who aren't adept at living in social harmony alienate themselves from the group and therefore don't tend to live as long or mate as often, and therefore fail to pass this entirely selfish disposition to any offspring. Whose traits are we, living hundreds of thousands of years later, more likely to have inherited?

Kapow, bitches, Evolution right to yer domes.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Buurman
Is it your goal in life to cause as many seizures as possible?

Am I winning?

UG Awards
The first thing to be understood is what ego is. A child is born. A child is born without any knowledge, any consciousness of his own self. And when a child is born the first thing he becomes aware of is not himself; the first thing he becomes aware of is the other. It is natural, because the eyes open outwards, the hands touch others, the ears listen to others, the tongue tastes food and the nose smells the outside. All these senses open outwards.

That is what birth means. Birth means coming into this world, the world of the outside. So when a child is born, he is born into this world. He opens his eyes, sees others. 'Other' means the thou. He becomes aware of the mother first. Then, by and by, he becomes aware of his own body. That too is the other, that too belongs to the world. He is hungry and he feels the body; his need is satisfied, he forgets the body.

This is how a child grows. First he becomes aware of you, thou, other, and then by and by, in contrast to you, thou, he becomes aware of himself.

This awareness is a reflected awareness. He is not aware of who he is. He is simply aware of the mother and what she thinks about him. If she smiles, if she appreciates the child, if she says, "You are beautiful," if she hugs and kisses him, the child feels good about himself. Now an ego is born.

Through appreciation, love, care, he feels he is good, he feels he is valuable, he feels he has some significance.

A center is born.

But this center is a reflected center. It is not his real being. He does not know who he is; he simply knows what others think about him. And this is the ego: the reflection, what others think. If nobody thinks that he is of any use, nobody appreciates him, nobody smiles, then too an ego is born: an ill ego; sad, rejected, like a wound; feeling inferior, worthless. This too is the ego. This too is a reflection.

First the mother - and mother means the world in the beginning. Then others will join the mother, and the world goes on growing. And the more the world grows, the more complex the ego becomes, because many others' opinions are reflected.

The ego is an accumulated phenomenon, a by-product of living with others. If a child lives totally alone, he will never come to grow an ego. But that is not going to help. He will remain like an animal. That doesn't mean that he will come to know the real self, no.

The real can be known only through the false, so the ego is a must. One has to pass through it. It is a discipline. The real can be known only through the illusion. You cannot know the truth directly. First you have to know that which is not true. First you have to encounter the untrue. Through that encounter you become capable of knowing the truth. If you know the false as the false, truth will dawn upon you.

Ego is a need; it is a social need, it is a social by-product. The society means all that is around you - not you, but all that is around you. All, minus you, is the society. And everybody reflects. You will go to school and the teacher will reflect who you are. You will be in friendship with other children and they will reflect who you are. By and by, everybody is adding to your ego, and everybody is trying to modify it in such a way that you don't become a problem to the society.

They are not concerned with you.

They are concerned with the society.

Society is concerned with itself, and that's how it should be.

They are not concerned that you should become a self-knower. They are concerned that you should become an efficient part in the mechanism of the society. You should fit into the pattern.

From owenlee55's awesome mind
Quote by seeneyj
Am I winning?

I think you've just gone over to the other side, where constant strobe is the norm to you.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
There are levels of realization, my friend, and you seem to just have broken through one of them. Once you realize this concept, how do you perceive the future? How do you perceive the role education plays in every generation from here forth that follows this currently established technocrat-god model we've built?

Stop being condecending. The other thing that I think we all maybe need to realise, is that maybe we seem cleverer than everyone else is because; because everyone (most people) think theyre so ****ing smart, they dont feel the need to fully project how they truly feel about the world. Leaving everyone with the impression that every one is a moron. (or maybe im giving people more credit than they're worth idk)

Quote by The_Sophist
Can you imagine us early in our evolution? Can you imagine us at that point without some social mechanism in place? We wouldn't have made it five minutes.

literally don't know why I should give a fuck. As i've already said, the only thing that matters is the moment right now as you read this, anything else, be it in the past and therefore a memory.. or in the future and therefore a hypothesis, doesn't even exist outside of the confines of out tiny sliver of observable conciousness. The only thing proveable is Right Now.
Quote by Owenlee55
The first thing to be understood is what ego is. A child is born. A child is born without any knowledge, any consciousness of his own self. And when a child is born the first thing he becomes aware of is not himself; the first thing he becomes aware of is the other. It is natural, because the eyes open outwards, the hands touch others, the ears listen to others, the tongue tastes food and the nose smells the outside. All these senses open outwards.

That is what birth means. Birth means coming into this world, the world of the outside. So when a child is born, he is born into this world. He opens his eyes, sees others. 'Other' means the thou. He becomes aware of the mother first. Then, by and by, he becomes aware of his own body. That too is the other, that too belongs to the world. He is hungry and he feels the body; his need is satisfied, he forgets the body.

This is how a child grows. First he becomes aware of you, thou, other, and then by and by, in contrast to you, thou, he becomes aware of himself.

This awareness is a reflected awareness. He is not aware of who he is. He is simply aware of the mother and what she thinks about him. If she smiles, if she appreciates the child, if she says, "You are beautiful," if she hugs and kisses him, the child feels good about himself. Now an ego is born.

Through appreciation, love, care, he feels he is good, he feels he is valuable, he feels he has some significance.

A center is born.

But this center is a reflected center. It is not his real being. He does not know who he is; he simply knows what others think about him. And this is the ego: the reflection, what others think. If nobody thinks that he is of any use, nobody appreciates him, nobody smiles, then too an ego is born: an ill ego; sad, rejected, like a wound; feeling inferior, worthless. This too is the ego. This too is a reflection.

First the mother - and mother means the world in the beginning. Then others will join the mother, and the world goes on growing. And the more the world grows, the more complex the ego becomes, because many others' opinions are reflected.

The ego is an accumulated phenomenon, a by-product of living with others. If a child lives totally alone, he will never come to grow an ego. But that is not going to help. He will remain like an animal. That doesn't mean that he will come to know the real self, no.

The real can be known only through the false, so the ego is a must. One has to pass through it. It is a discipline. The real can be known only through the illusion. You cannot know the truth directly. First you have to know that which is not true. First you have to encounter the untrue. Through that encounter you become capable of knowing the truth. If you know the false as the false, truth will dawn upon you.

Ego is a need; it is a social need, it is a social by-product. The society means all that is around you - not you, but all that is around you. All, minus you, is the society. And everybody reflects. You will go to school and the teacher will reflect who you are. You will be in friendship with other children and they will reflect who you are. By and by, everybody is adding to your ego, and everybody is trying to modify it in such a way that you don't become a problem to the society.

They are not concerned with you.

They are concerned with the society.

Society is concerned with itself, and that's how it should be.

They are not concerned that you should become a self-knower. They are concerned that you should become an efficient part in the mechanism of the society. You should fit into the pattern.

From owenlee55's awesome mind

Quote by darkstar2466
I think you've just gone over to the other side, where constant strobe is the norm to you.

I FREAKIN LOVE STROBE LIGHTS.
I was at a party with them the other day

UG Awards
Quote by darkstar2466
Kapow, bitches, Evolution right to yer domes.

I shoulda been born a bio major
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by DartS17
Not really.
Sharing experiences helps teach the species as a whole although nowadays it's a lot more "This show is good." than "This food is safe." All it is is the species trying to help more of itself survive, and humans get a good feeling out of thinking they've helped in some way rather than it actually having a major impact. Being social creatures is one of the most important non-basic traits most successful organisms have.

yeah. think of how many problems you face in your life, and how many of them are all in your head. humans have many mind problems that arent actual real problems. usually other peoples love tends to solve most of these. living just to survive alone makes life boring and completely pointless. we have to give life meaning and share it with others otherwise we get depressed and kill ourselves. would you rather think back on your life as an old geezer and think, i made myself happy but never really made any friends, or my life wasnt that great, but i improved the lives of many loved ones?

i go with number two.
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Stop being condecending. The other thing that I think we all maybe need to realise, is that maybe we seem cleverer than everyone else is because; because everyone (most people) think theyre so ****ing smart, they dont feel the need to fully project how they truly feel about the world. Leaving everyone with the impression that every one is a moron. (or maybe im giving people more credit than they're worth idk)

Sorry, I'll mend my language - I do want equal learning. Please do tell me if I sound like an ass. But, I'm not talking about abstract shit and mental mastrubatory online practices. These are real world problems our generation has to solve before we nosedive ourselves into and out of our planet as a collective. Education and handling of technology are two sectors that are approaching danger, and the amount of policy-free progress we push in those sectors will sink us or save us, I will tell you that.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Dec 20, 2011,
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
because we cant make it thru life alone. nobody likes being alone, its a dark feeling. the whole point of life is to find a mate and make more of us. we are designed to seek others and their appreciation. we do art for ourselves, but nothing is better than somebody complimenting your work. its almost as good as personal satisfaction. its a feeling like you just did something good for someone else. personally, i love making others feel wanted and good about themselves, because in turn, i feel better about myself. we like to help and be helped.

You're really really wrong. You'll most likely realise why I say that within a few years at most though, so theres no need for me to explain it to you.

Quote by ErikLensherr

{EDOT:} I was totally listening to Dispostion by TOOL as I read this (not even lying)
Ok, but exactly, given you said hundereds of thousands of years later (predating the first homanoid 'OfFiCiAlLy'), is it that abstact to say that we're still somewhat evolving? and that instead of this primative process being merely passed down, it is intead being refined and reconditioned and modified? Think about it, bro, do you feel different from how you felt a few years ago cos things are different, or cos YOU feel different.

Quote by DartS17
Not really.

This post is a perfect example how how the above quote applies to the General Population (and by that I mean the 93% of people that are f*cking morons).

Quote by The_Sophist

Why is this at all fucking relevant. u moron x

Quote by Owenlee55
*post that is a beautifully elequent way of how i feel/how i didnt understand how i feel/what i already understand*

I just really wish more people thought like this.
Whether or not you can control it, it will still affect you and therefore people care and bother with such things.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Explain to me why I am wrong so we can both make sure we understand each others entire thought before we make judgements and opinions on them.
If we can disregard everything in the past, then I'm going to disregard every single one of your posts.

Quote by TS
Why is this at all ****ing relevant. u moron

This makes you look like an utter cunt.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
answer your question OP?

F*CKS SAKE. It's TS.

UG Awards
Quote by Ichikurosaki
when you useless people (as in everyone) bow before me, i feel good

i want other people to worship me for my own satisfaction

answer your question OP?

no goodbye.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Whether or not you can control it, it will still affect you and therefore people care and bother with such things.

yeah, BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T ACCEPT THAT YOU CONTROL IT: YOU REGARD YOURSELF AS USLESS/POWERLESS AGASINT IT and end up seeking external sources to plug the hole that we all feel inside of us (you know what im talking about) that we can only fill by looking inside orselves
Quote by metacarpi

This makes you look like an utter ****nt.

whatever ever man this post is just part of the process, isn't it. the post isn't relevent cos what I'm talking of is the Right Now. if you don't know what that is, don't try to insult people or put them down.
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
yeah, BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T ACCEPT THAT YOU CONTROL IT: THEREFORE YOU REGARD YOURSELF AS USLESS/POWERLESS AGASINT IT and end up seeking externat sources to plug the whole that we all feel inside of us (you know what im talking about) that we can only fill by looking inside orselves

... why are you letting his colour affect you bro?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
perception varies from person to person, we are very unpredictable animals, but for some reason we believe we are supernatural, which is very important to your theory

once you realise that we are equal in importance to lions, sharks, ants, etc. you begin to look at the world in a new way, and notice just how peculiar we act some times

in the end, most of it is to mate, its a primal instinct, we must continue, if you find it fascinating, watch the science of sex appeal, its rather informative, and might give you some insight on the whole, people are animals, theory

anyways, to the actual topic now, living without meaning isn't nearly a life at all, some people find meaning in trying to fit in, others find meaning in analysing, guess which you are, most people would like to say analysing, but those are the people that find joy in interpersonal relationships, rather than opportunity to learn from new people
Quote by darkstar2466
Sorry, I'll mend my language - I do want equal learning. Please do tell me if I sound like an ass. But, I'm not talking about abstract shit and mental mastrubatory online practices. These are real world problems our generation has to solve before we nosedive ourselves into and out of our planet as a collective. Education and handling of technology are two sectors that are approaching danger, and the amount of policy-free progress we push in those sectors will sink us or save us, I will tell you that.

Ofcourse we're going to nosedive, man, what do you think the rapture/judgement day/the flood/ragnarok/2012 calendar/kiyaamat/apocalypse is about? humanity realising where its heading and backing the shit out? no. its when we totally ****ing **** ourselves and out of the ashes come to dawning of our 5th echelon. i sound like i **** to most people now, im sure, but do your research and everything ive just said will make MUCH SENSE.
Quote by metacarpi
... why are you letting his colour affect you bro?

cos im all high and drunk and 10am and emotional and shit. just trying to lay things out in a context that they may somehow make sense (................. on a forum to strangers... most of which i accept wont get it, apart from the 2 or 3 who obviously do)
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
yeah, BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T ACCEPT THAT YOU CONTROL IT: YOU REGARD YOURSELF AS USLESS/POWERLESS AGASINT IT and end up seeking external sources to plug the hole that we all feel inside of us (you know what im talking about) that we can only fill by looking inside orselves

But some things that affect you are beyond your control and you can't do squat about it. People still care about those things. You want to know why? Because they affect you and therefore people worry about them and care deeply about these subjects and circumstances.

And if you only want to care about the things you control directly makes you an utter selfish person.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Dec 20, 2011,
Page 1 of 3