Hey everyone, I've recently started liking the tone that the vintage tweed fender champs get. I've researched them and they have a painfully simple circuit (The 5F1 circuit). Does anyone know of an amp builder that builds champ clones for fairly cheap? (Like, $300 or less) Fender's '57 champ reissue is $999, which is absolutly crazy considering the amp is so simple to make. I've also looked into building one, but I have no experience with building electronics at all, so it seems much too complicated for me, lol. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!
Gear:
Guitars:
Cochran Custom Shop Blue
Cochran Goldtop
Washburn Jazz Hollowbody
Cochran Flying V
Amps:
Marshall Class 5
Laney VC15
FX:
MXR Classic Overdrive
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Without the chassis or cabinet and using the cheapest decent transformers around you are still looking at about $200 in parts. I've built a 5F1 cookie tin amp and I think it set me back just under $300 by the time I'd finished.

These guys build them remarkably cheaply. I don't know how they do it for the cost. I don't know if it's actually a 5F1, they don't mention the rectifier so I suspect they use a SS one. You could email them and ask more about it. A 5F1 circuit with a SS rectifier wouldn't be a bad thing, sag isn't much of a factor in a Champ so as long as the rest of it is right it would still get you the right kind of sound.
http://www.bigwhitemonkeyamps.com/welcome.html

I intend to build a 5F1 cookie tin amp for sale in the coming year. I'll probably want closer to $500 though. Of course though with that you'd get a piece of artwork, not just an amp. Maybe not what you are after.

This is mine - it's not for sale.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 20, 2011,
I took a look at the link you posted, and the chimp thing isn't really what I was thinking about. You are complely right though, those things are dirt cheap for what they are! And that cookie tin amp is really sweet! How complicated is it to build them? I would really love to build my own champ, but I'm afraid I'll order a kit and not be able to understand enough to complete it, thus throwing a couple hundred dollars away. =P I have no electronic knowledge outside of basic "guitar player knowledge" i.e. watts, tubes, pots, jacks, that kind of thing. Diodes and that kind of stuff I have no clue about.
Gear:
Guitars:
Cochran Custom Shop Blue
Cochran Goldtop
Washburn Jazz Hollowbody
Cochran Flying V
Amps:
Marshall Class 5
Laney VC15
FX:
MXR Classic Overdrive
Crybaby 535Q Wah
A Champ is about the easiest amp to build on the planet. It would be a good first project. It is still a tube amp though so if you screw it up you could kill yourself without trying very hard.

This is the circuit:
http://www.kbapps.com/audio/schematics/tubeamps/fender/images/champ5f1.gif

Does that mean anything to you? If not it's probably best you don't attempt it.

Give me $500 plus postage and I'll build you one in a cookie tin. I have a Jack Daniels tin I could use for it.

Edit. Here's a kit using quite good components. It's from the same place I buy most of my components:
http://triodeelectronics.com/5f1kit.html
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 20, 2011,
if it doesn't have to be exact, the vht special 6 (or even the fender champion 600) might be worth a look.

neither is an exact clone of a 5f1, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I should totally build a champ, once I can solder on these freaking op amps at least...

Why does I suck so hard?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I should totally build a champ, once I can solder on these freaking op amps at least...

Why does I suck so hard?

Lack of practice probably. I started building things when I was about 12 yo. You can't expect to have the same skills as somebody with 36 years of experience. Start with simple things like fuzz boxes and power supplies. Unless you are retarded you'll get there, you just have to keep at it.

That is another way to go, TS - get a Champion 600 and mod it to 5F1 specs. You just have to remove that fixed tone stack and change a few things around. Even if you leave the SS rectifier intact you will end up with something that sounds pretty damn close to a 5F1. The rectifier doesn't really affect the sound that much.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification