Hi,

I have a little problem with hammer ons/pull-offs combination. It's not the technique in itself that causes me a problem, but my fingers.

We all have this kind of lines (not my picture) on our fingers due to bending and playing in general, the thing is I always try use these lines to fret the notes I play, and when I try to hit these spots when doing hammer ons/pulls offs, it's a lot harder than when I just don't care and play (it's a lot easier since it generally doesn't hit the "lines" but the pad just below). I don't know if it's a lack of accuracy or if it's just normal/correct.

I don't even know what to think honestly. I don't remember having this problem when I first started guitar (like 2 years ago), but I stopped playing for a year and when I came back I was a bit paranoid about my technique (after reading some articles and posts), so I decided to fix everything that needed to be fixed and really, that's like the only thing bothering me right now.

My index finger is fine though, I can do some wide vibratos and everything, it's always in the perfect place. It's more about my ring and maybe my middle finger.

My question is: what part of my finger should be used to fret notes (is it the same for everything (hammer ons, pull offs...)? I understand that for some techniques you need to use the pad of your finger, like natural harmonics or switching to a lower/higher string on the same fret, so no need to talk about that, it's not a problem in my case.

Thanks, I really need help on this one (and please forgive my English if I didn't express myself well, it's not my first language).
Last edited by squiu at Dec 20, 2011,
Holy cow, i've never seen or had lines like that on my fingers. I have been told by my teacher (when I used to take lessons) that the tip of your finger is the best. It will allow you to be more precise and avoid hitting nearby strings accidentally and causing extra noise.
^Well, I have theses lines after playing a bit, but I don't have the dead skin all around, it's pretty clean. Sometimes I have nothing, but still, there's a spot on your finger where you always fret the notes (right?). A spot where it feels "right".

The picture is a bit exaggerated, but you get my point.
Last edited by squiu at Dec 20, 2011,
My fingers look the same after long sessions on my acoustic. If it's not affecting your playing, I wouldnt worry about it.
of its like that all the time i suggest adjusting your finher position a little so more of the pad develops calluses,not just the same part
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
For almost everything on every finger, you want to use the tip.

For your first finger, it should be closer the pad - the index must be flatter to mute unwanted string noise.

When barreing or rolling you can use the pad.

The lines shouldn't make a difference - you don't need to keep using exactly the same part of the finger for each note.
Thank you all for your answers.

Quote by Freepower
For almost everything on every finger, you want to use the tip.

For your first finger, it should be closer the pad - the index must be flatter to mute unwanted string noise.

When barreing or rolling you can use the pad.

The lines shouldn't make a difference - you don't need to keep using exactly the same part of the finger for each note.

Well, that's what I'm doing. I think I'm just gonna keep practicing hammer-ons/pull-offs, which I can already do but when I speed it up it doesn't always hit the part of the finger I usually use to fret the notes, but it still sounds good. Anyway, it's pretty clear right now so thanks.
Maybe this will help you. : http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/guitar-technique/palm-mute-guitar-fret-hand-muting/

I am talking about palm muting and fret hand muting.

PS: Also consider that you had a year off. I also had a break a few years ago and i know what you mean. You have to get in shape again with your technique.

You should also try my FREE Ebook where i talk about different factors concerning guitar playing. Here is the table of contents read it and see if it fits you:

http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/the-guitar-blueprint-to-success/

Hope that helped,

Paul
^Thanks, but palm muting and fret hand muting is not a problem for me, I already do it naturally.

You're probably right about the year off though, gotta practice more...
Just wanted to keep you all updated - I moved my calluses a bit lower on my fingertip (by removing them and replaying at the desired part), and it's just perfect. It's like when I was beginning, I can do hammer ons and pull offs so easily right now, and when I fret a note it's super comfortable. I guess I was just making things a lot harder for myself...

I was wondering why I had such a hard time playing accurately - I was targeting the very tip of my finger and playing this way is hard, especially on lower strings (or anywhere else for that matter).

Problem solved.
Quote by apajr
Maybe this will help you. : http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/guitar-technique/palm-mute-guitar-fret-hand-muting/

I am talking about palm muting and fret hand muting.

PS: Also consider that you had a year off. I also had a break a few years ago and i know what you mean. You have to get in shape again with your technique.

You should also try my FREE Ebook where i talk about different factors concerning guitar playing. Here is the table of contents read it and see if it fits you:

http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/the-guitar-blueprint-to-success/

Hope that helped,

Paul

The download is not working anymore..
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.