Page 1 of 2
Before the pics and info:

This is a guitar I've wanted forever. The artist whose guitar this is based on has been the most influential guitarist in my playing style and I have loved the guy forever. I always had a particular boner for his guitar as well, which was unique in every aspect and gorgeous (at least to me)! I'd never thought I'd be able to say I have his guitar because I'd never of imagined a 'signature' guitar to be made for him.

I was wrong :-)

Upon opening the case, I was ATTACKED by a savage whiff of vanilla.

After recovering from said attack, my eyes finally were able to focus on what I thought I'd never see personally:

My Gibson Buckethead les paul!! :-)

Clicky thumbnails for HD photos

I ordered mine from Sweetwater (after a bad experience with local music store), and I was extremely happy with the entire experience. Let's not get off track here. Out of the ones they had in stock, I definitely took the right one. The baked maple board is actually much darker than most of the other Buckethead studio's (which are sometimes a really tan color, ouch...). There are also wicked paterns in the actually fredboard, which is actually very nice. It's my first experience with baked maple but I must say it feels fantastic! Very ebony-esque, very smooth and I can't feel any particular grain in the board.

The guitar is huge. Kind of hard to tell at first, but once you wrap your hand around the neck you will definitely feel it. It's a unique neck that I haven't ever felt anything similar to. According to the Gibson website, it's a 'Buckethead custom profile', which means Buckethead has excellent taste! Though it's a LARGE neck in every way (thick, wide and 27'' scale), you can't help but get addicted to it. The frets are quite a bit larger and the spacing between the strings is slightly (very slightly) wider and these actually make the notes easier to play since you have more room for your fingers.

The body equally feels and IS huge, but doesn't feel that heavy (mine weighing in at 8.7 pounds). The action is delightfully low, notes just slap back and just beg for more! Arcade killswitches are great also, much easier to press than the typical radio shack momentary switch. Gibson pair of 500T and 496R guarantee some MAYHEM!

ALSO: Everytime you play it, it smells like vanilla everywhere and your fingertips end up smelling like vanilla instead of rusty metal.

It will take me a bit of getting used to, but I can tell it's gonna be a love story between her and I

ALL IN ALL: Amazing instrument, the fact that it's a 'Studio' doesn't even come into play here as it's NOTHING like a studio. If you see one locally and are at least curious about it, you should definitely try it out. It's a unique feel that I don't think I'll every find anywhere else.

oh, ps: If you'd want to get one you may want to hurry up, these were only a 500 limited run. If you want more pictures or stuff just ask :-)

Here's a quick video. Bad tone, sorry. I used my iPhone and i-Link through computer speakers to play as my amp is currently at the shop. Sounds pretty cruddy, but I still wanted a video for you all <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKB_CBZ4sw4
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Last edited by bluezombie at Dec 20, 2011,
Sweeet HNGD!!!!!!
Guitars:

Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster

Epiphone Les Paul 100

Amplifier:

Marshall AVT 100

Effects:

Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

EHX Big Muff Pi
LPs are always sweet.. But I don't really know about the extended scale... Doesn't really make it as good looking as what they are with the original 24.75" scale. However, if it feels like just the right one for you, I will congratulate you. HNGD and may the guitar serve your for many, many years.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Beautiful guitar! I'm glad you put a video up, seeing it in action was great.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
that's awesome.

sweetwater does treat people well, there is no arguing that.

congrats!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Sexy... O.O I really like the design and the colour. Must feel good to play too!

I've also listened to buckethead sometimes, and I have to say hes a great guitarist. One of my favourite virtuosos actually
Looks great.
Are you sure that's a baked maple? It looks like they might have had one with the rosewood board still in stock. All the Gibson baked maple I've seen has been much lighter than that.

Can you take a closeup of the board? Either way, I'd be interested in seeing it close up.

Edit: Does it have tone knobs or just volume knobs?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Last edited by Dr Sixstring at Dec 20, 2011,
What an awesome NGD! Congratulations on getting a dream guitar!
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
It is indeed baked maple! Sweetwater really helped me pick out the darkest one (which is what I wanted).

Updated photos above!

By the way, how would you guys suggest I clean this guitar? It's got a satin white finish, not a really glossy one so I dont think I could use my current cleaning product aimed at high gloss finishes.

Quote by Dr Sixstring

Edit: Does it have tone knobs or just volume knobs?

Top one is volume, bottom is tone (also a coil-tap knob)
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Last edited by bluezombie at Dec 20, 2011,
Quote by bluezombie

By the way, how would you guys suggest I clean this guitar? It's got a satin white finish, not a really glossy one so I dont think I could use my current cleaning product aimed at high gloss finishes.

I just use a microfibre cloth for my LP, but it's got a Gloss Finish and it's a Nitrocellulose one too. Occasionally, probably once a month, I use a bit of Fender's Mist & Wipe, makes the guitar shine and is a pretty safe bet as a cleaner. I'd just use a cloth to make the guitar have a good-looking finish without too many greasy fingerprints.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
I just use a microfibre cloth for my LP, but it's got a Gloss Finish and it's a Nitrocellulose one too. Occasionally, probably once a month, I use a bit of Fender's Mist & Wipe, makes the guitar shine and is a pretty safe bet as a cleaner. I'd just use a cloth to make the guitar have a good-looking finish without too many greasy fingerprints.

Thanks! Should i leave the cloth dry or slightly moist?

Also: I think I am getting stoned from the vanilla waves that seem to eminate from the guitar
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Quote by Lespauljames
eventually with time and cleaning the guitar will gloss off, happened to my satin black explorer. Just something to expect.

HNGD. Its different but i like it, What are the red things, just caps?

Thanks! I'll go easy in cleaning then!

Those red buttons are basically just arcade-style buttons that are connected to the output jack to cut current. I demonstrate it a bit in the video in the OP :-)
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Holy monkey tits, that guitar is epic win! HNGD bro. Thanks for the vid too.
HNGD! Looks like vanilla ice scream with strawberry and a flake stick.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Happy new guitar day! Looks beautiful! I remember what it was like when I made of my gear dreams come true.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
I'm curious, other than this guitar, which ones have a 27" scale? I don't fault anyone for liking what they like -- but I'm baffled how you'd discover your preference if there aren't any in existence?

I mean, the guitars I've gotten my hands on are all in the 24.5" - 25.75" range. That's all I've EVER seen. How in the hell did Buckethead get a hold of a 27" scale guitar to realize that's what he preferred?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
I'm curious, other than this guitar, which ones have a 27" scale? I don't fault anyone for liking what they like -- but I'm baffled how you'd discover your preference if there aren't any in existence?

I mean, the guitars I've gotten my hands on are all in the 24.5" - 25.75" range. That's all I've EVER seen. How in the hell did Buckethead get a hold of a 27" scale guitar to realize that's what he preferred?

Well there are other guitars too with 27'' necks http://www.jimsoloway.com/27inch.htm

The LP just has an oversized body to go with it.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Quote by bluezombie
Well there are other guitars too with 27'' necks http://www.jimsoloway.com/27inch.htm

The LP just has an oversized body to go with it.

Awesome, thanks! I really had never heard of a 27" scale length before. Maybe they're totally common and I'm just out of the loop...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Are you using it as a baritone with that 27" scale or are you keeping it in E?
I tried it a few months ago and absolutely hated it. WAY too big, fretboard looks really bad, arcade switches are complete crap (the one on the top even gets in the way when tapping). I would take my Les Paul Studio over that crap any day.
Quote by fuzzpedal
Are you using it as a baritone with that 27" scale or are you keeping it in E?

I'm playing it in E flat, and it feels perfect to me like that :-)

@Tammoo: yea sorry to hear you don't like it. Too bad for you!
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Quote by bluezombie
It is indeed baked maple! Sweetwater really helped me pick out the darkest one (which is what I wanted).

Updated photos above!

Wow, that's way cool. I haven't seen anything anywhere near that dark from Gibson. It's great that Sweetwater helped you out with an extra dark board.
Congrats... That's a beautiful Instrument...

Yep.. Sweetwater is Great to work with.. Bought most of my PA gear through them... Good Folks..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
told u in your last thread u would still be satisfied xD

HNGD man!
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by richardlpalmer
Awesome, thanks! I really had never heard of a 27" scale length before. Maybe they're totally common and I'm just out of the loop...

Yeah man there are lots of guitars with 27" scale length (and higher too). They're usually labelled baritone, or they're extended range (7 and 8 string guitars, etc). Longer scales give you more string tension which is helpful for tuning lower.

And yeah happy NGD mate. That's an awesome guitar. It's so whacky that it's cool.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by Roc8995
Wow, that's way cool. I haven't seen anything anywhere near that dark from Gibson. It's great that Sweetwater helped you out with an extra dark board.

i've been keeping an eye on the different baked maple boards in the stores. some are quite dark and very hard to tell from rosewood until you are very close. there have been a few people conditioning them to darken them on MLP. (not the pony site)

that one looks great TS!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by EspTro
told u in your last thread u would still be satisfied xD

HNGD man!

You were damn right! :-)
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Looks great man, I love Les Pauls too!

The vanilla smell you're getting is from the nitro, I've had my Les Paul for over 6months and it's still got that smell, wish you could buy it in a bottle!
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by VVolverin3
Yeah man there are lots of guitars with 27" scale length (and higher too). They're usually labelled baritone, or they're extended range (7 and 8 string guitars, etc). Longer scales give you more string tension which is helpful for tuning lower.

Ahhhhh, now THAT makes sense! I've seen baritone & 7/8 string guitars and of course have seen/heard lots of them de-tuned. Just never looked into it enough to figure out why they were called that.

Thanks for the info, because now I know! And as GI Joe would say, "...And knowing is half the battle. Go Joe!"
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by digman50
Looks great man, I love Les Pauls too!

The vanilla smell you're getting is from the nitro, I've had my Les Paul for over 6months and it's still got that smell, wish you could buy it in a bottle!

That's funny!

All PRS smell like Lemon Pledge, because... well, they use Lemon Pledge to wipe them down before leaving the factory.

I can just see it now -- a game show where you identify things by smell & touch. "Hmmmm, smells like vanilla. It's a guitar. Large body & long scale length..."
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
That's funny!

All PRS smell like Lemon Pledge, because... well, they use Lemon Pledge to wipe them down before leaving the factory.

I can just see it now -- a game show where you identify things by smell & touch. "Hmmmm, smells like vanilla. It's a guitar. Large body & long scale length..."

Hahaha!

Well then this will be an easy one for us if ever that becomes the case :-)
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Page 1 of 2