Hey folks, I've never built a set neck and am mocking one up for the spring. Does the blank have to be thicker than a normal neck blank? Most are, but do they have to be?

Most "normal" neck blanks are about an inch thick or so, and I'm not seeing a whole lot of variation in that other than in partially pre-fabed blanks which I'm completely un-interested in...I've seen people glue extra wood on the end of the neck where the tenon is, so I'm curious as to whether or not you can use a normal 1" board for a set neck? Essentially it would be like building a bolt on neck, but with a long tenon...unless that extra depth is really necessary?
Quote by Jason Jillard
im trying it out soon on a jr. style. i think it will be structurally fine, but may be more of a visual thing ya know?

Right, but in my case I'm hoping to compensate by letting the body wood "come out" further so I can carve the whole shebang a bit more like a smooth neck through, such that the visible joint of the blank/body would be a little ways out, and rounded, if you know what I mean. That way you get the same look (other than the fact that there's a visible joint), and the tenon would extend under the neck pickup like a normal set neck....possible?

The only reason I'm thinking about doing this as apposed to buying a blank that's ~2" is because I want to make it with highly figured curly maple, and 1" blanks are muuuuuch cheaper to come by than a 2" slab of master grade fiddle-back
Quote by MacJackson
dude, just buy a neck from warmoth.

Sorry, I'd never use a pre-fab kit/part...I cut my teeth on that stuff years ago. Besides, if you bothered to look, they all have the same dimensions as a bolt on, i.e. about an inch thick heel, and none of their maple is going to look as good as what I could get elsewhere for cheaper.
One look at your PRS build would show you dont need to go around buying pre fab necks

The set neck on a Suhr looks to be around 1" so it should be fine...

http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/showthread.php?66797-Sneak-NAMM-Preview-Suhr-GG-Sig-Set-Neck

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
~25mm seems to be fine. The tenon on a Gibson is around that thickness, but just appears thicker because of the heel. Also, if you take a look at ExplorerBuilder's stuff, he uses a heel block to pad things out if he needs to.
Quote by Jason Jillard
I'll try to get around to some neck making this week.. its just so cold outside..

i got the scarfs glued for 3 necks... just have to get some fretboard action going..

i'll elt you know how thye hold up and grab some pics of it all for ya

Much appreciated!

Jillard/Mint/Absent - Dang it's good to see some of the old time regulars around here! I always love coming back to this forum Can't wait to get back into building this spring.
Quote by MacJackson
dude, just buy a neck from warmoth.

WTF is this? An adbot?!