Hi all, I bought a brand new guitar a month or so back off the store wall, anyway I had to return to the store as I'm having a few issues with it. The guy who sets them up was asking me who changed the strings on it as they were not the factory fitted ones that guitar should come with. I told him they were the ones it came with, and he asked did I get it in a box from the back of the store or off the wall.

Now what I'm thinking is, this guitar has possibly been bought before and maybe returned because the person was having the same problems with it that I am.

What I'm wanting to know is, is there any reason they would have changed these strings in the store?
Uhm... If you bought it new from them, I think they at least owe you a free set-up.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
I find it hard to believe that people can identify the crap strings that are shipped by the factory...

If you want to find out, talk to the manufacturer about your guitar. The year is was made should be part of the serial number.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
maybe they had it on the wall in the store for quite a while... had alot of people play on it... try it out etc... they should give u you a free set-up, the store i go to always does one when you buy a guitar, and you get a free one for when its needed again, after that you start paying for set-ups.
Well, I needed instantly beefier strings for my LP when I ordered it. I got the setup and the strings for free. Second and third setup was free for me, just paid for the strings. Most likely will need to pay for the next ones, but I don't complain, because I've got so good service from the local luthier and shop owner (Kitarataivas).

^I agree with you. If they were old strings, they were probably changed. Also, they could have been changed a good while ago, which could mean that you would have needed another set of strings for the guitar.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by shikkaka
I find it hard to believe that people can identify the crap strings that are shipped by the factory...

+1. Sounds like they are trying to **** you.
Demand a free setup, if not ask for your $$ back.
If they refuse both call the BBB. Never buy 'new' guitars off the wall w/o scrutinizing the guitar very thoroughly. In reality they are used guitars.
Quote by Gazbaz77
Hi all, I bought a brand new guitar a month or so back off the store wall, anyway I had to return to the store as I'm having a few issues with it. The guy who sets them up was asking me who changed the strings on it as they were not the factory fitted ones that guitar should come with. I told him they were the ones it came with, and he asked did I get it in a box from the back of the store or off the wall.

Now what I'm thinking is, this guitar has possibly been bought before and maybe returned because the person was having the same problems with it that I am.

What I'm wanting to know is, is there any reason they would have changed these strings in the store?

actually it's totally possible.

people buy and return guitars all the time. strings get changed in the store all the time. both are very common.

some people want a new one that is still in a box from the back shelf, others want the one they played.

i prefer to buy the guitar i played and tested. it may have a ding or scratch on it, which is fine with me. it helps knock down the price a little.

other people may want only a new one that nobody else has played.

could yours be a "new old stock"? yes.

i know a store that has a 2005 PRS hanging on the wall. Is it not new because it's not a 2011 model? It's not a customer trade in, it was bought from the factory by the store and hasn't sold yet, so technically it's still a new guitar in that it has never been owned long enough to not be returned.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 20, 2011,