right! pretty simple really, I'm being given the money to buy my 4th guitar for christmas.
I already own...

1. Jim Deacon Fender-style thing - my 1st guitar, the usual sunburst, single coil pickups, 10w amp, strap included stuff
2. an acoustic - shitty £50 thing, bought on a whim really
3. "Dean From Hell" - the replica model of Dimebag Darrell's guitar, had the fender-thing for years, but it just wasn't cutting it, I wanted much more punch etc. bought 2nd hand.

the main thing is... the Dean is fantastic, it's pickups are responsive and powerful, they've just got this swagger built into them. I love the guitar to bits, but it's a tempremental beast - the FL bridge and locking nut system is great for keeping the guitar in tune, but I'm tired of having to swap to my buzzy, thin-sounding fender whenever I snap a string, or being afraid to tune it properly in case I have re-balance the bridge.

I'm looking for a guitar with the same powerful sound and versatility, but that requires much less bubblewrap...
I've got my heart set on an SG for the pedigree, but i think I'm going to have to limit myself to the Epiphone versions to keep my wallet happy, i think my budget's about £200-£500 (absolute maximum). I'm not a snob about brands (if it's as good sounding at half the price: winning!) but I just don't want to end up with ANOTHER beginners guitar...

any suggestions?
I would suggest an SG. But if you're a bit picky about how your guitar is sort of "positioned", it slouches forward a bit (because the strap things are in the back), and it makes it a bit hard to play standing up.
I've heard (and tried), BC Rich pack a pretty mean punch.
Or you could always buy a guitar you want (any kind) and alter it a little. An SG with a FL bridge maybe?
Nothings impossible. Hope that helped!
Get another Dean without Floyd Rose Then you'll get the sound of that one (since you seem to like it), but it can still be tuned differently without needing to spend hours setting up the floyd.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
get an epi les paul standard or custom

much better than the SG's. there's a reason les paul refused to have his name associated with the SG models.
Quote by mike_oxbig
get an epi les paul standard or custom

much better than the SG's. there's a reason les paul refused to have his name associated with the SG models.

^Haha, good call. SGs are quality guitars though, have a sound of their own, but I don't like them. I would always choose an Epi LP over an Epi SG. Same goes for Gibson.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by lgraham

I already own...

1. Jim Deacon Fender-style thing - my 1st guitar, the usual sunburst, single coil pickups, 10w amp, strap included stuff
2. an acoustic - shitty £50 thing, bought on a whim really
3. "Dean From Hell" - the replica model of Dimebag Darrell's guitar, had the fender-thing for years, but it just wasn't cutting it, I wanted much more punch etc. bought 2nd hand.

Are you still using that 10w amp? If you are, you don't want a new guitar, you'd be far better off spending the money on a good amp.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I guess that depends on your preference. I've never owned a gibson SG, so maybe i'm missing out, but my first guitar was an epi SG and when i bought a les paul the SG never got played afterwards.

the SG was meant to be the new version of the les paul, originally. they even tried to put the les paul name on the SG when it first came out, but mr paul refused to endorse the guitar.
try to get an mij tokai SG for that. occasionally if you're very lucky, a new one will come up for £500 from a shop. they're more often £600.

used it'd easily be under budget. just be careful as there are cheaper chinese and korean-built ones which aren't as good and aren't worth as much.

2-screw truss rod cover and "made in japan" stamped on the back of the headstock are the two tell-tale signs it's japanese (unless someone's trying to con you).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by GaryBillington
Are you still using that 10w amp? If you are, you don't want a new guitar, you'd be far better off spending the money on a good amp.

+1

what amp are you using?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
good catch, i missed that
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
good catch, i missed that

yeah, i mean maybe there's an amp in there, but
who knows,
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by mike_oxbig
there's a reason les paul refused to have his name associated with the SG models.

Yes... that there already was a guitar called "Les Paul" maybe?

Here is a picture of Les being too embarrassed to be associated with the SG:

EDIT:
It was actually the other way around. When Gibson agreed to make the Les Paul the concept was so radical that they refused to have it called a Gibson, hence "Les Paul". (Boy did Gibson guess that one wrong, but it all worked out I guess)
Last edited by SteveSthlm at Dec 20, 2011,
Quote by SteveSthlm
Yes... that there already was a guitar called "Les Paul" maybe?

Here is a picture of Les being too embarrassed to be associated with the SG:

Actually, it was originally going to be called a Les Paul. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it:

The new Les Paul was popular, but Les Paul himself did not care for the new design, and requested the removal of his name from the new model (however, due to his contract, he was photographed with the new model several times). Gibson honored Les Paul's request, and the new model was named "SG", which stood for 'Solid Guitar'. Even though Les Paul's name was officially deleted in 1961, the SG featured Les Paul nameplates and truss rod covers until the end of 1963.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Actually, it was originally going to be called a Les Paul. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it:

Fair enough, I concede the point. If it said so on the internet it must be true

(I stand by the second point though, when Gibson agreed to make the first Les Paul on condition the name Gibson wasn't used, hence Les Paul.)
Last edited by Lespauljames at Dec 20, 2011,
Quote by SteveSthlm
Fair enough, I concede the point. If it said so on the internet it must be true

(I stand by the second point though, when Gibson agreed to make the first Les Paul on condition the name Gibson wasn't used, hence Les Paul.)

uh les paul was a musician that gibson used to make their guitar popular. technically speaking the les paul was the first signature series guitar. as far as i'm aware, the extent of les pauls contribution to the guitar was cosmetic opinion.

but just in case i'm wrong, i'm going to state a point that nobody has argued so i can still claim that i'm half right. clouds are wet.
Quote by mike_oxbig
uh les paul was a musician that gibson used to make their guitar popular. technically speaking the les paul was the first signature series guitar. as far as i'm aware, the extent of les pauls contribution to the guitar was cosmetic opinion.

the bloke practically invented solidbody guitars. his contribution the the gibson les paul may have been cosmetic, but without him, there would be no gibson les paul.
in name and construction

Straight rip.

Lester William Polsfuss (June 9, 1915 – August 12, 2009)[3][4]—known as Les Paul—was an American jazz and country guitarist, songwriter and inventor. He was a pioneer in the development of the solid-body electric guitar which made the sound of rock and roll possible.

Paul was dissatisfied with acoustic-electric guitars and began experimenting at his apartment in Queens, NY with a few designs of his own. Famously, he created several versions of "The Log", which was nothing more than a length of common 4x4 lumber with a bridge, guitar neck and pickup attached. For the sake of appearance, he attached the body of an Epiphone hollow-body guitar, sawn lengthwise with The Log in the middle.
Quote by jj1565
yeah, i mean maybe there's an amp in there, but
who knows,

yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
wow this got a shit-ton of replies haha

in response to a couple of things...

I tried out the Epi G-310 SG, which was...ok, I was kind of in a rush to try it out and didn't get round to giving the G400 a go. will be going back to my guitar shop soon though :P

about customisation, I did consider just getting a guitar and giving it the same pickups as on the Dean, but I'd probably majorly **** that up... plus pick-ups are stupidly expensive and amps actually affect the sound more

the place I got my Dean has since shut down, no-one stocks them in my area (which SUCKS!) and I'd rather buy from a shop than risk not trying it, getting messed over by royal mail and then having no-where to take it to should shit go wrong...

for that same reason I'm not going to risk trying to find a geniune japanese version of a guitar online!

yes, I'm still using the 10w amp, it's a Marshall MG10CD, but I put the bad sound from the fender-type guitar down to it having single coil pick-ups. I'm actually still really happy with the amp. the problem's not really with the fender, but more with the fact I just want a solid workhorse of a guitar: good sounding, but reliable.

I am quite interested in the epi g400, anyone had experience with this guitar? good? bad? I've read the reviews here on UG but there's only two...
Reading everything youve mentioned the g400 will be perfect.
Changing pickups while on a 10w SS amp is pretty useless anyways, although they are VERY easy to install. You may not dislike your amp yet, but after another guitar you should very seriously consider upgrading the amp.
Quote by lgraham
wow this got a shit-ton of replies haha

in response to a couple of things...

I tried out the Epi G-310 SG, which was...ok, I was kind of in a rush to try it out and didn't get round to giving the G400 a go. will be going back to my guitar shop soon though :P

about customisation, I did consider just getting a guitar and giving it the same pickups as on the Dean, but I'd probably majorly **** that up... plus pick-ups are stupidly expensive and amps actually affect the sound more

the place I got my Dean has since shut down, no-one stocks them in my area (which SUCKS!) and I'd rather buy from a shop than risk not trying it, getting messed over by royal mail and then having no-where to take it to should shit go wrong...

for that same reason I'm not going to risk trying to find a geniune japanese version of a guitar online!

yes, I'm still using the 10w amp, it's a Marshall MG10CD, but I put the bad sound from the fender-type guitar down to it having single coil pick-ups. I'm actually still really happy with the amp. the problem's not really with the fender, but more with the fact I just want a solid workhorse of a guitar: good sounding, but reliable.

I am quite interested in the epi g400, anyone had experience with this guitar? good? bad? I've read the reviews here on UG but there's only two...

i'm sorry, i really can't recommend a guitar for better tone.

imo, they'll all sound equally bad through that amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by StateFarmsThere
Reading everything youve mentioned the g400 will be perfect.
Changing pickups while on a 10w SS amp is pretty useless anyways, although they are VERY easy to install. You may not dislike your amp yet, but after another guitar you should very seriously consider upgrading the amp.

alright man, thanks, I'm only a bedroom practice person at the moment, but I know that a decent amp is my next move.
cheers

ehh the amp isn't so bad if you're not trying to make it play louder than it was meant to. my first amp was a 15 watt marshall and it sounded good at bedroom/basement level.

but there's really no point in having 4 guitars with that thing. having 4 guitars means you're looking for an assortment of sounds. you'd benefit more from a new amp, or a multi effects pedal and a pair of headphones if you're worried about disturbing the neighbours.
Quote by mike_oxbig
ehh the amp isn't so bad if you're not trying to make it play louder than it was meant to. my first amp was a 15 watt marshall and it sounded good at bedroom/basement level.

but there's really no point in having 4 guitars with that thing. having 4 guitars means you're looking for an assortment of sounds. you'd benefit more from a new amp, or a multi effects pedal and a pair of headphones if you're worried about disturbing the neighbours.

yeah It's great for just mucking about in my room. although I thought that there was no point in buying a real sweet amp if my Dean kept snapping strings left right and centre. bearing in mind i've only really got 3 electric guitars, and only one really good one - I barely play the fender-thing - i only really consider my new G300 (yes, I bought it today - very happy with it ) to be my 2nd guitar. I do own a few effect pedals: Boss Delay and Digitech Whammy, but I don't have any of that crap like "METALZ DISTORTION!!1" since they're just a waste of time - buy a new amp!

but like I said, for gutars, that's now it for me. the tone's not the thing I'm trying to alternate, I wanted a decent backup for my Dean. if I grow out of the sound, I know it's the amp that needs reviewing.

thanks for all your help guys, very happy with my choice
Last edited by lgraham at Dec 21, 2011,
Quote by jj1565
i'm sorry, i really can't recommend a guitar for better tone.

imo, they'll all sound equally bad through that amp.

+1

i mean if you're playing heavier stuff ideally you'll want humbuckers too, but yeah, that amp's the weak link
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You're not done. Now that you have 4 entry level guitars you're eventually going to ask yourself why you have 4 200$ guitars instead of 1 800$ guitar. that's what happened to me. I give you six months of practice before you're a full fledged member of my "guitar fever" thread.