Hey UG drummers,

Recently i've wanted to buy a double bass pedal but I'm not sure which one to buy and considering this will be my first double pedal I don't really know much about them. I have no real budget and can afford to spend a fair bit of money. I've been thinking about the Pearl Demon Drive, DW 9000, Tama Iron Cobra, and Mapex Falcon. Are there any more I should know about? Which one is the 'best'?

Thanks for any responses!
No one cares.

DW 9000 is a really nice double pedal. Very fast and sturdy. You wont be disappointed.
Those pedals are all good, though out of all of them I'd recommend the Demon Drive the most, mainly because it's a direct drive and is the pedal I feel I can do the most on other than my Trick pedal. There's no real best as what makes a pedal "good" is subjective, it depends on what you're looking for and what feels the best to you, and such. I will say that if your goal is a ton of speed then definitely go with the Demon Drive (it has power too though, which is good). Something really cool about that pedal is that if you get the double version, you can split it into two singles in under 5 minutes, and then back again, which can be quite useful. In general I'd say that pedal in particular is far and beyond all the others listed, though the IC and DW9000 are both great too. The features are just... better, and it responds much quicker. The slave pedal has very little latency, also. I don't own the Demon Drive but I've played a lot of them and used them. They're pretty awesome.

It's actually quite good that you can afford to buy something nice, as it's far more preferable to start out on a good (preferably sick) pedal. Other pedals at that price point which may or may not interest you would be the Tama Speed Cobra, which is basically a lighter faster Iron Cobra, maybe the Axis pedals (although I despise them personally), Trick pedals like the Dominator or Pro 1-V, the latter of which is what I play.

The best thing you could do though would be to go to a bunch of shops and try them out in person if you can. Whatever feels the best to you is the best. Ya dig?

Again though, if I was in your shoes I'd go with the Demon Drive. I wouldn't even really compare it to the other pedals mentioned just because it's a direct drive pedal, which is better than chain drive in every way IMO.
^^

Yeah, i've been pushed more towards getting the Demon Drive because i've heard so many good reviews and because of it's great versatility. I'm glad you mentioned Trick pedals because i've never heard of them before. Although, I checked out the Dominator and Pro 1 - V and chose the Pro over Dominator. Then I looked at the price...

Here in the U.K the only place i've found to sell it is Zazdas and they're selling it for 800£!

Even though I said I had no real budget 800£ is just too much for me so It's a no there. :P

The thing is, I would love to go to some store and try all these pedals out but there aren't any big drum shops near me, which is very annoying. :/

Thanks for replying!
No one cares.

Unlucky for you, you should come down to London some time and go to the Wembley Drum Centre or the London Drum Company. I know Wembley have them for around £500 or thereabouts.

Personally I'm torn between the Demon Drives and the DW 9000, I think the Iron Cobra's are lovely but my feet are simply too big/long for the footboard and it's extremely tricky getting a decent heel-toe going.

I will say, however, that you try all the different pedals you can because you may end up finding a cheaper pedal that you may be able to play really comfortably on. For example, I realized lately that I prefer using an entry level Pearl P-902 single pedal above a Pearl Eliminator and Tama Speed Cobra. I could actually go quicker with it than the other two because it feels better.
Another thing that I'm not really sure it's worth mentioning but I've heard and seen a fair few pro's use DW5000 pedals over the 9000 because they felt the 9000 was "Too fast" or "Too light" or "Too responsive" So if that ends up being the case with you then look for something a little heavier.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Last edited by Niiko at Dec 22, 2011,
The new tama speed cobra is amazing. It's the perfect compromise bewtween direct drive and chain. They lengthened the footboards on them too.
Yeah, I think I would like a longboard pedal for heel - toe etc. Well from Oxford it's about an hour away and I'm glad u mentioned there are places that have those pedals and ill go and pay them a visit sometime after Christmas.

I'm also hoping I find a really cheap pedal that I like more than the high end ones so I don't have to spend too much money! But that's not a problem because I don't mind paying a lot for a good product.

Btw, are the DW 9000's more expensive than the 5000's?
No one cares.

Direct Drive pedals are amazing. Some people don't like them (No idea why - They're sooooo smooth). I really like the Demon Drive pedals, but even though they're "longboards" they're pretty small compared to Axis Longboards, which makes the heel-toe technique really difficult if you have big feet, they're also much more expensive on the used market.

I'd suggest Axis Longboards, though the Tama Speed Cobra is pretty cool too. DW9000s are okay, but for the price you pay for it, I feel like they're just trying to emulate direct drives in the first place, and you could buy a nice pair for as much as they cost. If you don't like the feel of direct drive - Go with a DW5000. I used one of those for a few years and it's a great pedal that hits nice and hard.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^^

Now you've told me Axis pedals are great I'm now really confused about which one to get!

I guess I'll just have to go to a big drum store and try all this stuff out.
No one cares.

Quote by PaddySyn
Btw, are the DW 9000's more expensive than the 5000's?
Yes.

Finding Axis pedals at a store might be hard to find as they're a small company without a lot of distribution, which means they don't have many dealers, but for what it's worth, I play a lot of fast double bass (240-260 bpm) and I honestly fucking hate them so much

Also, I find the longboard vs. shortboard debate to be more a matter of preference-- it doesn't really have anything to do with the footboard actually being longer, although of course it is by about an inch or so, but there just not being a heel plate at the base of the pedal, which moves the sweet spot of the pedal a bit further back on the pedalboard. I prefer shortboards myself. A long pedalboard doesn't necessarily lend itself to easier heel toe IMO. You can do the John Longstreth "mush" technique on basically any pedal.
Last edited by Steve08 at Dec 25, 2011,
Just bought some the Pearl Demon Drive on Ebay for 300£. Thought that was quite a reasonable price so I went for it, just hope it's good for me because I haven't tried it out only heard good reviews.
No one cares.

Quote by PaddySyn
Just bought some the Pearl Demon Drive on Ebay for 300£. Thought that was quite a reasonable price so I went for it, just hope it's good for me because I haven't tried it out only heard good reviews.

Where did you buy that on ebay?!
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Quote by PaddySyn
Damn, you're a lucky bastard

Congrats on the steal, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with it, those pedals are seriously wicked awesome. If I wasn't in love with my Tricks I'd grab those in a heartbeat.
The first thing you want to look for is the type of drum pedal you want. There are three types of pedals that you can buy. Chain drive, Belt drive, or Direct drive. Each one offers its own benefits, so make sure you know what you want. You will find that chain and belt driven pedals are very similar to each other. The belt will be a little more silent then the chain, and will feel a little lighter on the foot.
Yeah, I'm glad I got a great deal and I think i've made the right choice of pedal!
No one cares.

Quote by Donkey_Punch
What's with all these double pedal threads lately? Where's the single pedal love

Two is always better than one, brah!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Donkey_Punch
What's with all these double pedal threads lately? Where's the single pedal love
2 > 1

It's a mathematical fact.

Beyond that, the way I see it is there's nothing that you can do with a single that can't also be done with a double, but there's a lot you can do with a double that can't be done with a single.
Last edited by Steve08 at Jan 6, 2012,
Eh, nah. I play in a fusion band, for one, and beyond that I've played a few jazz gigs and done some big band type stuff for pit orchestra in school. And blues, also.

I'd say I'm a metal drummer at heart but I'm into pretty much all drum styles, so I'll play jazz (and anything else that strikes my fancy) as well. Diversity is key.

And as a disclaimer, when I say jazz I don't mean shitty stiff basement swing that anybody could learn from watching a couple Buddy Rich videos.

Even if I play blues or jazz, I bring my Trick double pedal. Love that shit!
Quote by Steve08
2 > 1

It's a mathematical fact.

Beyond that, the way I see it is there's nothing that you can do with a single that can't also be done with a double, but there's a lot you can do with a double that can't be done with a single.

Technically speaking, that's debatable because it comes down to a comparison. I said once to a friend that you can't do a lot of double pedal stuff with a single foot, he then proceeded to show me a video of Thomas Pridgen doing 16th notes on one foot while holding quarter (or eighth) notes down with his right hand. It's all down to technique and the genre though also, You can't really do speed metal 32nd note blasts with a single pedal for instance.

I agree with you, to an extent, but just putting that out there
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

I've had my Demon Drive for about 2 days now.

Given that I've never had any other double kick pedals, I can't compare it to any others, but from what I've experienced, the pedal is so smooth and fast. I love all the different options that you can change for seemingly endless customization, I haven't found my perfect setting; but I have changed the pedals to long boards.

I've got a steal at £300 and it came looking brand new, everything was working correctly and the only thing that showed it was 2nd hand, was the wear on the beaters and the odd mark here and there.
No one cares.

Quote by PaddySyn
I've had my Demon Drive for about 2 days now.

Given that I've never had any other double kick pedals, I can't compare it to any others, but from what I've experienced, the pedal is so smooth and fast. I love all the different options that you can change for seemingly endless customization, I haven't found my perfect setting; but I have changed the pedals to long boards.

I've got a steal at £300 and it came looking brand new, everything was working correctly and the only thing that showed it was 2nd hand, was the wear on the beaters and the odd mark here and there.
Awesome, dude. Glad you dig it. Did it come with the Ninja Bearing oil by any chance, though? If not, you're probably gonna want to try and find some, otherwise this happens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bzQuFqw67A

Quote by Niiko
Technically speaking, that's debatable because it comes down to a comparison. I said once to a friend that you can't do a lot of double pedal stuff with a single foot, he then proceeded to show me a video of Thomas Pridgen doing 16th notes on one foot while holding quarter (or eighth) notes down with his right hand. It's all down to technique and the genre though also, You can't really do speed metal 32nd note blasts with a single pedal for instance.

I agree with you, to an extent, but just putting that out there
Fair points, for sure. I wanna say though, I wasn't really referring to using two feet for fills/grooves etc. as opposed to two (for reference I always use one foot for grooves with fast bass drum work, and usually two if it's a fill with two bass drum strokes in a row)-- perhaps I should have been more clear in my original post, so let me try to re-phrase it. I guess what I'm trying to say that is, first and foremost, in my mind, a double pedal is a single pedal... with a second pedal attached.

So I really don't see the point in using something that is intrinsically limited in comparison (ie. a single pedal), but that's just my opinion. If there was the option to take a single pedal over a double, where both were exactly the same other than also one having the slave pedal, I'd go with the double every time just because there are more options available.
No, I didn't get any Ninja Oil with it, so I might order some soon.

But surely some WD - 40 will just be fine?
No one cares.

WD-40 is the worst spray lubricant out there. the only people who really use it are people who do not realize that there are much better alternatives.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by PaddySyn
No, I didn't get any Ninja Oil with it, so I might order some soon.

But surely some WD - 40 will just be fine?
Nah. Just get some Ninja Bearing oil, it comes with the pedals when you buy them from a store for a reason.

You won't even necessarily need to use it right away or anything, though, but it'd obviously be kinda nifty to have in case you eventually run into problems with squeaking/resistance/etc. like in that video.