I've been looking at a practice amp to replace my Roland 15X. I would use it to mostly play rock/metal and I don't want the amp to be too big as I'll be taking it to university. The amps I've been looking at are around 30 Watts, and the ones that I've looked at are:

Line 6 spider IV 30
Peavey Vypyr 30
Roland 40XL

Can you recommend any others?
Do you know anything about these amps?
I'm partial to Cubes and Vypyrs to be honest, especially for what you're playing. They're probably the better of the amps you listed.
Get a good all-tube, pal. In the same price range, you can get a Marshall Class C or an Ibanez Tube Screamer head plus cabinet. Both are great for Metal, but they allow you to play pretty much everything, offering a terrific all-tube tone. Don't be scared about their advertised low wattage: 1 W of all-tube amplification equals, in terms of loudness, about 4 W of solid state, not to mention the speaker, who can be more or less efficient. Marshall's and Ibanez's speakers are better than any of those you chose above.
Anyway, it's just my opinion. You can give a try to these amps or not, it's up to you to decide. If you like how it sounds, it should be enough for you to decide.
if ur shooting for a tube practice amp i agree with the ibanez above ^. but for a modeler i'm partial to the fender modelers. best tone i've ever found out of a modeling amp (i hated my vypyr with a passion. biggest waste of money i've ever made)
the ibanez tube screamer is like 500 for a combo and the heads are 300.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
the ibanez tube screamer is like 500 for a combo and the heads are 300.

Perhaps in your country. In mine, you can get the head plus cabinet for only 450 euros.
Quote by Speed-metal9000
I've been looking at a practice amp to replace my Roland 15X. I would use it to mostly play rock/metal and I don't want the amp to be too big as I'll be taking it to university. The amps I've been looking at are around 30 Watts, and the ones that I've looked at are:

Line 6 spider IV 30
Peavey Vypyr 30
Roland 40XL

Can you recommend any others?
Do you know anything about these amps?

Dude, why do you want to upgrade from 15 watt to 30 watt? It doesn't make that much of difference and those amps are same kind of amps that you already have (modeling). So wait some time until you have a bit more money and buy something better. But I would take the Roland Cube. You know what it will sound like and if you like your 15 watt Cube then you'll like that 40 watt Cube too. I haven't tried the Vypyr but Line 6 is pretty meh IMO. What do you need from your amp? Do you need effects and many different amp models? And what effects do you need? If you don't use more than two amp models with your Cube, then you shouldn't buy a new modeling amp.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by rv_phoenix
Get a good all-tube, pal. In the same price range, you can get a Marshall Class C or an Ibanez Tube Screamer head plus cabinet. Both are great for Metal

No.

TS, I recommend the Vypyr. A lot of people like the Cubes as well. You can't really go wrong with either one.

Just don't get the Spider. it's inferior in terms of tone and features.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If he's going to Uni with it, he's not gonna wanna have to crank a Marshall Class 5 to get a grit sound.

Vypyr definitely mate.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
If he's going to Uni with it, he's not gonna wanna have to crank a Marshall Class 5 to get a grit sound.

Vypyr definitely mate.

Marshall C5 has a low power switch (0,1 watt). The volume level cranked was just perfect for bedroom practicing. I have tried that amp and it sounded great. But I'm not sure if it's worth the 500€ it costs.

But I'm saying this again: If you really want same kind of amp that you have and like your Cube 15 watt then go and buy the Cube 40 watt but if I were you I wouldn't buy any of those amps you mentioned. There's no sense in upgrading from 15 watt digital to 30 or 40 watt digital. It just doesn't make that much of difference soundwise or volume wise. But if you need loads of different sounds, it's OK to buy a digital modeler. But it's not that big upgrade from your 15 watt Cube! So check also out some non-digital amps. And maybe some tube if you have enough money to spend (you can check them out even though you didn't have the money, of course). Going used could be also an option, you can get great stuff for much cheaper.

Go test some amps at music store and buy the one you like the most!
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Marshall C5 has a low power switch (0,1 watt). The volume level cranked was just perfect for bedroom practicing. I have tried that amp and it sounded great. But I'm not sure if it's worth the 500€ it costs.

But I'm saying this again: If you really want same kind of amp that you have and like your Cube 15 watt then go and buy the Cube 40 watt but if I were you I wouldn't buy any of those amps you mentioned. There's no sense in upgrading from 15 watt digital to 30 or 40 watt digital. It just doesn't make that much of difference soundwise or volume wise. But if you need loads of different sounds, it's OK to buy a digital modeler. But it's not that big upgrade from your 15 watt Cube! So check also out some non-digital amps. And maybe some tube if you have enough money to spend (you can check them out even though you didn't have the money, of course). Going used could be also an option, you can get great stuff for much cheaper.

Go test some amps at music store and buy the one you like the most!

Wasn't aware it had the power switch. I still think it sounds like dick though

If it's the Cube 15 he has then absolutely the 40 would be an upgrade. The sound is far superior and the bonus of having the effects as well. Just because an amp's valve doesn't mean it's going to be amazing. For nothing more than practice and using it in a Uni block, a little modelling amp is more than ideal.

Unsure of the prices of where he's located but around here that sort of budget for a valve amp wouldn't get you anything overly fantastic
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Wasn't aware it had the power switch. I still think it sounds like dick though

If it's the Cube 15 he has then absolutely the 40 would be an upgrade. The sound is far superior and the bonus of having the effects as well. Just because an amp's valve doesn't mean it's going to be amazing. For nothing more than practice and using it in a Uni block, a little modelling amp is more than ideal.

Unsure of the prices of where he's located but around here that sort of budget for a valve amp wouldn't get you anything overly fantastic

That's why I said that he can check out some tube if he has money. I'm not a tube elitist (I don't have a tube amp, I only have a Micro Cube and I think it's OK) and I just recommended him to look something different than just those three amps. And I really don't need any other effects than chorus, delay and reverb. And I use those with clean and reverb and sometimes delay with distortion. But I want to know if he even needs those 10 amp models (I need only two or three sounds: clean, dist. and high gain). Because if he doesn't need more than two or three then it's more reasonable to buy a non-digital amp with two or three channels.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
That's why I said that he can check out some tube if he has money. I'm not a tube elitist (I don't have a tube amp, I only have a Micro Cube and I think it's OK) and I just recommended him to look something different than just those three amps. And I really don't need any other effects than chorus, delay and reverb. And I use those with clean and reverb and sometimes delay with distortion. But I want to know if he even needs those 10 amp models (I need only two or three sounds: clean, dist. and high gain). Because if he doesn't need more than two or three then it's more reasonable to buy a non-digital amp with two or three channels.

Never said he shouldn't, was suggesting that a small modeller would be more practical. Getting a 3 or even a 2 channel valve would be pretty hard at that budget. Unless he finds a great deal on something.

If you want to have a look, check out the Vox L'il Night Train, Bugera V5. Just to keep your options open. But for metal tones a Vypyr will slay anything in that price range.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
I agree with Eppicurt - any amp, even a larger version of a modeling amp is an upgrade from a 15W modeling amp. I know, because I owned the Vypyr 15, and I currently own the 75W version, as well as the 120W head version.

The 12" speaker instead of the 8" speaker found in 15W amps is a huge, huge upgrade. I don't recommend the 15 to anyone unless their budget absolutely demands it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Class 5 is an awful choice!

I don't see a huge advantage in going from a 15w modelling amp to a 30w modelling amp.

Have a look for a used Peavey Bandit. They're light and portable but versatile, reliable and decent sounding. A lot of function/bar bands use them.
Quote by Eppicurt
Never said he shouldn't, was suggesting that a small modeller would be more practical. Getting a 3 or even a 2 channel valve would be pretty hard at that budget. Unless he finds a great deal on something.

If you want to have a look, check out the Vox L'il Night Train, Bugera V5. Just to keep your options open. But for metal tones a Vypyr will slay anything in that price range.

I meant that it can be a solid state with 2 or 3 channels but whatever. Going used is an option too.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Cube, damn it!

Very versatile and excellent metal tone!
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I have to bump this thread for any potential wannabe-or-otherwise guitarists looking for a new practice amp.

I started with a Vox Valvetronic, went on to a Line 6 Spider, then had a Blackstar HT5 for a while, then finally Tiny Terror, basically working my way up through amps as I progressed in my ability and as I saved more money. The TT and HT5 are nice amps. However due to financial reasons I sold them and I decided to pick up a cheapish modelling amp because I hated not having -any- amp. So I bought a Cube 40XL yesterday.

I have to say, in all honesty, it's the best practice amp I've -ever- played. By practice, I mean an amp that is suitable for playing at home, either fairly loudly during the day or quietly at night, it sounds absolutely superb. For that purpose I haven't tried anything that beats it. With the TT & HT5 I needed to spend a fortune on pedals, and using the amps themselves I had to crank the volume up to silly levels to get the most out of them.

Anyone wanting a practice amp for the home, don't spend a fortune on a tube amp, get the cube XL
Schecter Blackjack ATX C1 FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (w/ Jimmmy Page wiring kit & Dimarzio Air Norton/Tone Zone)
Blackstar HT5s
POD X3 Live
Depends on the tone you want, for example, Marshall sounds different to Orange... Also, it really does come down to; What you can afford and what deals are around if you look for them.
I'd get something like a Pod HD or a Vox Tonelab with a set of Sennhieser headphones just to avoid the risk of running into intolerant dorm mates or those who don't take kindly to the idea of a guitar amp. Not only will you not bother anyone with it but you can do much more with it.

Though if you must have an amp, get the Vypyr out of those 3. It's the most versatile and arguably the best sounding cheap practice amp (at least for heavier stuff).