Now i am a complete Amp-n00b. I guess i dont know shit about them. I do own one Orange Rockerverb and i own one Fender Blues Junior. Now both have a volume and a master wheel.... and i cant find out what the difference between the two is? On the Blues Junior i found to get the best cleans i put the master at 12 and the volume around 3 and do some tone-tweaking on the guitar. The orange, basically same thing.

But why does that sound so good?

Why it is i am so n00b? Well i am an recording artist, so basically all i do is recording guitars into sequencers and i create the sound in the sequencer. So basically all i care about is clean tone, i record 100% clean. So who can gimme some insight into this.. thanks in advance!
The master volume comes after the preamp, the regular volume comes before it. So, to get a bunch of preamp distortion, you turn the volume way up, which saturates the preamp, and the master down, which keeps the overall volume down. For more clean volume (or power tube distortion if you're playing very loud) you turn the normal volume down to keep the preamp from distortion, and the master volume up.
Quote by ridicilus
Now i am a complete Amp-n00b. I guess i dont know shit about them. I do own one Orange Rockerverb and i own one Fender Blues Junior. Now both have a volume and a master wheel.... and i cant find out what the difference between the two is?

volume knob and master knobs are located at different parts in the circuit. if you care to know how it is setup

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/blog/86585/

Quote by ridicilus
On the Blues Junior i found to get the best cleans i put the master at 12 and the volume around 3 and do some tone-tweaking on the guitar. The orange, basically same thing.

But why does that sound so good?

cuz with the master in the middle you are running your power tubes at a setting where the tubes are starting to color the tone slightly but running it not so loud so as your playing at the limit of your headroom. you get a little color from the power amp, but it's not distorting; this usually gives a nice punchy tone with quite a bit of dynamic range.

the theory behind all this has to do with tube designs/characteristic curves, circuit designs/operational classes/methods of biasing, transformer choice. these design concerns create very complex environments that effect how the signal is amplified, which effects all aspects of it sound (harmonic content, sustain, clipping/distortion, attack, etc).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Roc8995
The master volume comes after the preamp, the regular volume comes before it. So, to get a bunch of preamp distortion, you turn the volume way up, which saturates the preamp, and the master down, which keeps the overall volume down. For more clean volume (or power tube distortion if you're playing very loud) you turn the normal volume down to keep the preamp from distortion, and the master volume up.

wow thanks! That actually made sense,,, kinda. So to get a clean tube sound its master all the way up, and to get a distorted sound its the volume up... right?
well you have a rockerverb so on the overdrive channel you turn up the preamp gain.

on the clean channel it's just the volume so you use that for cleans.

on a clean channel with both volume and master you need to adjust it to where you think it sounds best.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer