I recently found out about anchoring. I hear it makes your picking more accurate. But I think my hand is too small to anchor with because I can't reach some strings when I try to do it. I've always just hovered my hand over the strings to play. Is that bad?
Considering the fact that people say you shouldn't anchor, I don't think it is a bad thing. I can't either, don't worry!
Don't anchor, it's bad technique, hovering is proper, many guitarists spend many hours adjusting to not anchoring, you're playing correctly.
I started doing it about two months ago and now my playing is more accurate and easy. But, like all other techniques it isn't for everyone. Persevere with it, you might just surprise yourself.
Bad technique, good technique, whatever.

It's the results that count. If you aren't anchoring and you're playing fine without suffering pain or discomfort, why change it?
I anchor. I play better when anchoring. It's just a matter of taste, really. People say when you anchor that your right hand motion gets reduced, yet I find these statements to be false, at least for me.

It's just a matter of taste, really...
Read the damn sticky.

Anchoring is bad because by actively forcing your hand into the guitar, you're creating unnecessary tension, which limits your range of motion and can cause injuries down the road. Tension = Bad
Anchoring = Tension
Anchoring = Bad

End of story.
I recently found out about anchoring. I hear it makes your picking more accurate. But I think my hand is too small to anchor with because I can't reach some strings when I try to do it. I've always just hovered my hand over the strings to play. Is that bad?

Nope, perfectly normal. One of a few reasons I recommend not anchoring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXKxYwBU2f8

You're welcome to disagree but we're all sick of anchoring threads so this is /closed.