Hey guys, I've got a problem with the other guitarist in my band ...

We're the original members of this metalcore band that we've been putting together for ages and recently (the last couple of months) we've got a full band together and we've wrote 3 pretty decent songs, imo.

Anyway, from the beginning we both decided to be rhythm guitarists and we'd share lead which at the time I could imagine it being a future problem but we decided it would be like that anyway.

We had a practice the other day and other last couple of practices he's become really counter productive and really hard to work with. He strives to make everything as technical as possible to the point where he can't play it and he insists we must harmonize everything. On the other hand though if I write something that he doesn't get his head around in the first 5 minutes (happens a lot) he ends up simplifying it to suit himself which ends up changing the piece I wrote completely but not in an 'artistically developed' way.

He also is very pessimistic to any ideas I come up with for a song on the spot, like if we needed to write a change in the song or add a bridge, ect if I come up with an idea he will straight away be like "nahh maybe not ..." and you have to seriously warm him onto the idea and push hard with it, which sucks.

Also I hate to sound egotistical but I'm a better guitarist than him and I've brought in around 80% of the material (bar drums and vocals ofcourse) and all he ever brings in is half assed lead intros or shabby rhythm work.

I take pride in my playing and I strive to be as good as I can yet he is more and more dragging me down, trying to fight every idea I create to progress the song.

He's a friend of mine and a good friend of our vocalist so I don't know what I should do or how I should go about it.

/sorry for the wall o' text
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
uhh.. there's more people in you band than just the two of you right? Work as a team and let them have a decision round the guitar parts too. Could solve alot of problems already.

Maybe he's acting like that too because he wants to be the leader of the band.
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Dude, this kind of problem is more frequent than you think. Just read "Ask Van Hammerstmith" and you will see.

Maybe somebody went through a very similar situation, and got advice from Hammerstmith himself. You could check out this collumn and try to find something.
You need to sit down and have a conversation about your expectations of each other, and what these issues are, and possible ways to deal with them ... with him.
I'm going to guess you're all beginners. Why?

This is the situation for me:

- OMG I want to make my part more technical/complex/wanky!

(Writes a more complex part for myself that works with the band)

THE END

Not sure where you can pull the other issues from. My part is mine. What are you guys doing writing eachother's parts? Pfft.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Get together and talk. Offer up "amnesty for honesty", and solicit real honest opinions about new material. If you offer up an environment of honest critique of YOUR work, then you will most likely have a receptive audience when you offer your critiques. And try to get a feel to see if the other members honestly feel the way you do. You'd hate to get into a serious throwdown with your band, only to find that you are the odd man out. And conversely, you have more persuasive power when the other band members feel like you do.

Try it both ways and record it. See which way your band and others like it.

Stand your ground, but don't take it personal. Let him have his way on occasion as long as you receive reciprocation.
Quote by TimTheWizard
uhh.. there's more people in you band than just the two of you right? Work as a team and let them have a decision round the guitar parts too. Could solve alot of problems already.

Well when I come up with an idea I'll present it to everyone and ask them what they think but while the others tend to be positive and would try it he is always negative because it's my idea.

Quote by AlanHB
I'm going to guess you're all beginners. Why?

This is the situation for me:

- OMG I want to make my part more technical/complex/wanky!

(Writes a more complex part for myself that works with the band)

THE END

Not sure where you can pull the other issues from. My part is mine. What are you guys doing writing eachother's parts? Pfft.

Yet he's writing more complex parts for the sake of having complex parts and it doesn't benefit the song and sounds shit.

I can write all my own parts fine but he pretty much just copies me and will change it around but not for the good of the song.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
challenge him to a shred-off for the title of main guitarist/guitar writer??

Just kidding, on a serious note, maybe get the whole group involved when you are writing guitar parts.
If the whole band likes his ideas then you may just have to put up with them, but on the flip side if the band feels that they don't like what he is doing with the material he might get the message and become more productive with your stuff.

However, as I think someone above me said, don't make it a confrontational sort of thing. (e.g. don't get the band to compare your ideas side by side and see who's is best), instead just every time he comes up with an idea bounce it off of the others. Therefore he may gradually see that the stuff he's writing isn't working.
Gear
Ltd Mp-600
Cort X-6 SM
Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange ppc212 cab
Digitech GSP1101
Dunlop 535q Crybaby

I have soundcloud!

I also have a DSP

-insert humorous quote from some other forum user here-
Quote by Brownerz
Yet he's writing more complex parts for the sake of having complex parts and it doesn't benefit the song and sounds shit.

I can write all my own parts fine but he pretty much just copies me and will change it around but not for the good of the song.

If that was the only problem, the issue would be that you didn't like his writing style. The lesson to learn then is don't just make a band with someone because they're your friend.

I suggest each of you write your own songs, and then add parts to eachother's songs. You guys may be better at writing separately than together. If not, perhaps it's best that you stay far, far away from eachother.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
The answer to this is simple....painful but simple. You two have outgrown one another and it's time to either work together ar split up. You can talk and talk and agree to disagree, then talk some more, but in the end what you will both end up craving is the absence of the other. Might as well cut your losses and move on, and find more compatible bandmates.