Ok...well the title seems clear enough.. The reason I ask this is because in the last few months my playing style has changed considerably...
I've gone from playing alot of punk and hard rock (foxboro hot tubs, guns n roses etc)
to playing alot of blues stuff (all started from learning some of Rory Gallagher's songs....my city's most famous musician ^^).

I have a choice after xmass...I know one person selling an epiphone dot, but I've come across a friend of a friend who's selling an alder-bodied jazzmaster copy they built (with gibson p90s).. The person who did set-ups on my guitar says it's equal quality to the other guitar, so i don;t know :S

Would the jazzmaster be able to cover jazz, blues, and ska punk well ?? (as these are the types of gigs I'll be playing over the next few months if all things go according to plan).

Before anybody asks what amp I'm gigging with; Bogner alchemist combo (on loan from a friend whilst i'm between amps.....don't ask...but the replacement will be one of these amps anyways).
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
Kind of like a thick, punchy single coil or a less sharp humbucker. They're a unique sound and I suggest you at least try it, but P90s will cover every style of music you mentioned (except maybe ska punk, I really have no idea on that front).
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Thanks very much for the input I'm not expecting balls-to-the-wall sounds, but at the end of the day, if this would be a more viable clean and crunch sound then a hollow body with humbuckers, then i guess that's me happy.. Either way I'm happy, so I don't mind which one will be better for what I'm doing, however...I've never owned a p90 guitar
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
In my experience, P90s in the bridge position sound sort of thin and strat-like, snappy/twangy, with a growly sound when overdriven. In the neck position they sound quite warm, but without the 'meatiness' or 'density' of a humbucker (but a pleasant sound).

Like the other chap said, they'll easily cover your needs, as will the containing jazzmaster. So will the epiphone, really, so you should just try them both and decide by feel.
Last edited by SideshowBob180 at Dec 20, 2011,
depends on the exact pickup, but imagine a less focussed, less tight humbucker with a looser bass and more present treble. and not noise cancelling.

A lot of people say they're halfway between humbuckers and fender-style single coils in tone, but to my ears (maybe it's just the ones i've tried) they sound closer to humbuckers- like 70% humbucker, 30% fender single coil.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Hunter2081
I've gone from playing alot of punk and hard rock (foxboro hot tubs, guns n roses etc)
to playing alot of blues stuff (all started from learning some of Rory Gallagher's songs....my city's most famous musician ^^). ...

The Dot or Jazzmaster copy will do you fine.The Alchemist's separate EQs will be a treat for the genres you're playing.

Yeah, Mr Gallagher is a bit of a legend for good reason :P His live in europe album blew my mind..

Right, I think that's the case closed so people, thanks for giving a little insight
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
oh yeah i forgot to put this earlier

p90s are grittier and rawer, humbuckers smoother and more refined
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

P90's ROCK.. or roll, or jazz, or ska, or punk, or blues... really good for blues...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I would hump the living daylights out of those f-holes o.O Gorgeous looking in that cherry colour :O
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
Quote by Hunter2081
I would hump the living daylights out of those f-holes o.O Gorgeous looking in that cherry colour :O

Go get your own "F" holes..

these are mine...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!