I like the sound of my Vox AC15, but I could use a little more push, I'm having trouble deciding an overdrive that will not only keep the characteristics of my Vox, but also one that will fit my style. So let's get on to the needed questions!

Budget: No more than 200 but I'd prefer to stay at about half of that
Style: I play alternative and pop-punk stuff but lately I've been experimenting more with a "Spacey" sound. Like Angels and Airwaves I guess.
Used would be best.
This will be used for gigging, but I don't know if that really matters for pedals?
My current rig which is being rebuilt from the floor up at this point is this-Fender Tele with a hotrail in the bridge or a Fender TD Strat going straight into the AC15. Volume knob on both rolled back to about 2/3s.

Anyone have some suggestions?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
super OD 3 Boss... my favorite pedal i've tried to date. if you live near a long and mcquades go there they'll let you try it out for thirty days!
"Remember folks, it's all bull****. It's all bull**** and it's bad for ya." ~ George Carlin.
RIP
"The last real man in showbiz"
Fulltone OCD, Visual Sound, blahblahblah there's loads out there
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Isn't he in Australia though?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Well I sent him a message. Hopefully he'll have something I'm interested in but does anyone else have any suggestions? Soundclips are always nice. Too many people on Youtube just play bluesy licks.
Quote by barden1069
Quote by ethan_hanus
Are you looking for an overdrive to push the amp harder or just to add dirt? You may just need a clean boost, and not a OD.

I'm trying to add some dirt. Just not too much.

As for the Timmy isn't there a waitlist for those? They seem to be harder to find used.
Quote by barden1069
Nobels ODR-1
http://proguitarshop.com/nobels-odr-1-overdrive.html
it's just a better quality tubescreamer
if you don't want to colour the sound of your Vox though u should be looking at a clean boost
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Last edited by Shayne777 at Dec 20, 2011,
Barber LTD. It is a low gain overdrive pedal. Not too badly priced and there are heaps of reviews on Youtube that let you really hear it in different capacities. It can be used a clean boost and if you want a bit of dirt then yeah it will give you that.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Well I sent him a message. Hopefully he'll have something I'm interested in but does anyone else have any suggestions? Soundclips are always nice. Too many people on Youtube just play bluesy licks.

SD-1s can sound sweet with some mods.
http://soundcloud.com/frank-birkner/sd-1-demo
Quote by darkwolf291
SD-1s can sound sweet with some mods.
http://soundcloud.com/frank-birkner/sd-1-demo

This otherwise
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180779403513?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649#ht_1123wt_1270
for prices like this its hard to beat.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
I'm trying to add some dirt. Just not too much.
That would be a Boss SD-1. I also have a Jekyll & Hyde (OD (Jekyll) and Distortion (Hyde)), which has an OD that doesn't add a lot of dirt. I think the Route 66 is just the OD part.

GC has a great sounding OD called the MXR Classic OD for $40. It's a GC exclusive model.