It depends. If it is a 20-watt Dr. Z, for instance, then yes. If it is a 20-watt Line 6 Spider, then no.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Cheap guitar < Great amp

Basically you tone depends more on the amp than the guitar.
Last edited by Kortez3000 at Dec 20, 2011,
Depends on the amp. My VOX sounds pretty good for $240. If you aren't gigging then an amp isn't a high priority, yet. Save up your money and once you start want to jam with others use your guitar to audition amps you are considering buying. No snese playing a mediocre guitar thru a great amp in your bedroom.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Depends on the amp. My VOX sounds pretty good for $240. If you aren't gigging then an amp isn't a high priority, yet. Save up your money and once you start want to jam with others use your guitar to audition amps you are considering buying. No snese playing a mediocre guitar thru a great amp in your bedroom.

Just because one don't gig, that dosen't mean that tone dosen't matter.

There's nothing wrong playing a mid level guitar through a nice amp in your bedroom.
Great tones tend to inspire Makes me want to play more when I have a good tone.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life

Great tones tend to inspire Makes me want to play more when I have a good tone.

+1 .words of wisdom.
probably not. given that you said practice amp, I assume its probably not the best amp on the planet (generally, people don't refer to low-wattage boutique gear as "practice" gear). if you have a good, small amp, it'll be fine. wattage is an indicator of power, not tonal quality.

if, you do have a cheap little amp, you may want to invest in a better one before you pop for a better guitar. given that the amp ultimately processes the signal from the guitar and makes it audible, even the best guitar will sound lousy through a poor amp. therefore, upgrading to a nice guitar (the LTD is a very nice guitar, especially considering the money), but playing it through a cheap amp really stands very little chance of giving you a decent tone.
If the 'tone' freaks here concentrated a little more on their actual playing instead of their amp we'd all be a little better off.
Moving on.....