so christmas is 5 days away, and i always get a bit of money from all the relatives and crap, id say close to about 500 in all, plus my birthday is in 2 weeks, so anyways, i own an epiphone dot, and a line 6 spider 2 (i know its crappy haha) so idk what to buy.
i just started a blink cover band, and the music i write is similar to recent blink and angels and airwaves, i know tom delonge uses a fender and a vox amp, and im not too sure about either one of those brands, so im not sure what to buy, and also effects and pedals and what not. so i figured instead of going with my gut feeling, id ask people who know what theyre talking about, any advice would help, and any questions or whatever, lemme know
and im willing to sell my amp, its a spider 2 150w
Last edited by greenday4u at Dec 20, 2011,
If you like your guitar but aren't thrilled with your amplifier, then that would be a good place to start with an upgrade. There are a great many fine amplifiers you could find - especially used - in the US$500.00 range. You'll want something with a good overdriven tone for the type of music you play. Do you have a preference with respect to amp brands?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
If you like your guitar but aren't thrilled with your amplifier, then that would be a good place to start with an upgrade. There are a great many fine amplifiers you could find - especially used - in the US$500.00 range. You'll want something with a good overdriven tone for the type of music you play. Do you have a preference with respect to amp brands?

i love my guitar, its just the amp, i like vox tones, im just trying to make sure that im making a good choice with my music style, thats why im not sure, because ive never really used anything other than my line 6
Buy a new taste in music.

Make a new "what amp" thread and answer the questions in the sticky. You really need a new amp. Your guitar will do.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I've used a Line 6 Spider III 75-watt forever, and I get a pretty good punk sound outta that. I'd suggest getting an upgraded Line 6.
you can keep the dot if you want. I'd stick with a neck through guitar not a bolt on like most fenders. I would go with a nice clean tube amp (fender, vox) and run a distortion(ie. boss ds-2 if you keep it clean) or a good overdrive(ie tube screamer or Boss super od if you bump up the gain). Keep it simple.
Quote by dimarzio77
you can keep the dot if you want. I'd stick with a neck through guitar not a bolt on like most fenders. I would go with a nice clean tube amp (fender, vox) and run a distortion(ie. boss ds-2 if you keep it clean) or a good overdrive(ie tube screamer or Boss super od if you bump up the gain). Keep it simple.

could you be more specific please, sorry but like i said i have no idea when it comes to amps, what kind of vox or fender?
Look for some used B52 AT-100's, they're pretty good sounding higher-gain amps. Also look at JCM-900's and DSL's. Both of those should be pretty close to your price range, you might have to save a little but it will be well worth it.
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
Jet City Amplification JCA22
Peavey Windsor, Classic 30
Marshall Class 5, DSL401, JCM 900, etc.
Fender Blues Junior
Bugera V22, V55
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by greenday4u
any thoughts on the vox ac15?

I really like my ac15 and I play Pop-Punk.
check this video out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6KQXxIbrbc
He gets a good AVA sound with his Vox paired with a T-Rex Mudhoney.

What I suggest you do is sell your spider and get a used AC15. Tom also uses a Zakk Wylde OD or at least used to. you could probably swing one of those used to start out at least.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
You can actually get a used Vox AC15 from Musician's Friend for less than $500 right now.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by greenday4u
any thoughts on the vox ac15?

Way too small to gig with. What are the other members of your band playing through? The few punk bands I've sat in with are into some serious firepower - probably as a result of seeing The Ramones at CBGBs back in the day (talk about LOUD!). A good 2x12 combo in the 50-watt range (100 watts if you go solid-state, as they often don't sound as loud as their tube brethren) will serve you well, unless your bassist has a 1000-watt monster plugged into an 8x10 weapon of mass destruction.

Peavey, Marshall, Carvin and Fender all make amplifiers that would fit the bill, and can be found used in your price range. If you're looking for just a 1x12 combo, your options increase, and you might find what you want new.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I might be wrong, but the last I heard Delonge still uses a Mesa Boogie Triple Rec for distortion but just runs them through AC30 (the VOX cab). You might want to decide if you want your amp to really 'shine' in the clean or distorted settings since your most likely not going to find an amp with fender cleans and nice distortions for under $500. Like someone else mentioned earlier, I've also heard good things about the B-52 At100's. They also make a 1x12 combo that'd be more affordable as well...though you can get the heads for about $300 used.
Quote by FatalGear41
Way too small to gig with.

Definitely not true. I gigged with it today unmiced with no problem, most venues are miced anyways.

Quote by npo123
I might be wrong, but the last I heard Delonge still uses a Mesa Boogie Triple Rec for distortion but just runs them through AC30 (the VOX cab). You might want to decide if you want your amp to really 'shine' in the clean or distorted settings since your most likely not going to find an amp with fender cleans and nice distortions for under $500. Like someone else mentioned earlier, I've also heard good things about the B-52 At100's. They also make a 1x12 combo that'd be more affordable as well...though you can get the heads for about $300 used.

I saw them live back in September and he was for sure running the two Vox AC30s for his distortion. He runs them with a fulltone fulldrive infront of them. I'd suggest that to the TS but I think it's out of his price range. TS is looking for newish blink sound and AVA, Tom has rolled back the gain since then so the B-52 would not be appropriate.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Last edited by RealGuitarHero at Dec 20, 2011,
Quote by RealGuitarHero
I really like my ac15 and I play Pop-Punk.
check this video out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6KQXxIbrbc
He gets a good AVA sound with his Vox paired with a T-Rex Mudhoney.

What I suggest you do is sell your spider and get a used AC15. Tom also uses a Zakk Wylde OD or at least used to. you could probably swing one of those used to start out at least.

i was just watching these videos haha, he gets a sick tone just like ava
Quote by dc13
I've used a Line 6 Spider III 75-watt forever, and I get a pretty good punk sound outta that. I'd suggest getting an upgraded Line 6.

For god sakes do not EVER take ANY advice like this.

Quote by JKHC
Buy a new taste in music.

This. TS, pop punk is shit.
Quote by FearMyLightning
For god sakes do not EVER take ANY advice like this.

I don't think this is the right approach. Let him enjoy this music for a while and suggest a good amp so that when he grows out of it he won't be stuck with a less versatile amp. Sure I play pop-punk and it's not for everyone but at least when I want to play something else my AC15 can deliver.
Quote by barden1069
i wasnt asking to be criticized, i was asking for help with my purchase, so you guys who actually are here to help, you guys think the ac15 would be good?
Quote by RealGuitarHero
I don't think this is the right approach. Let him enjoy this music for a while and suggest a good amp so that when he grows out of it he won't be stuck with a less versatile amp. Sure I play pop-punk and it's not for everyone but at least when I want to play something else my AC15 can deliver.

Hey, I told him not to get a Line 6 Spider, is that good enough?
I'm not sure of a good amp but get one that takes pedals very well and then get a BBE AM-64. Perfect for 90's Green Day/Blink/Sum41 type tone
Quote by FearMyLightning
Hey, I told him not to get a Line 6 Spider, is that good enough?

Haha yeah man, that indeed is good enough

TS yes the AC15 is the way you should go if you're as I assume a fan of Tom Delonge's recent tone. Paired with an overdrive will get you started at least.
Quote by barden1069
lol, I don't even like Blink 182, or punk in general, but seeing that plus the avatar made me laugh.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
AC15 =/= AC30

I don't know much about pop punk, jsut saying...

Yeah yeah yeah, that's why I provided him with a nice little clip.
Quote by barden1069
Quote by FearMyLightning

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Find a used JCM900. You should find one in your pricerange if you look around. Punk is the one thing they do very well.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification