Does anyone have any experience with them?

I've never had much appreciation for epiphone acoustics, but this one seems to be built well...solid everything. sitka spruce top, mahogany back, sides and neck, bone nut and saddle

for the price if he had just told me the specs i would have been all over it
but he had to start his sales pitch with "i have an epiphone...." which made me cringe immediately, even though I have an epi les paul that I love...but i had to play 3 of the same epi les pauls before i found the one that felt right, even within identical models.

so far i've only read good reviews....i just keep going back to the word epiphone. I once promised myself I was done buying that stuff. Why do they msrp for 600$ when they're 100% solid wood, when my other acoustic msrp'd for 1200 and it's laminated sides and back? there has to be a catch.

I'm supposed to meet the guy on thursday, so i have plenty of time to back out of the deal...but i was wondering if any of you guys could help me with the thumbs up/down
I assume you'll get to play it first BEFORE making the decision? Given the fact that epiphones do seem to sound different within same models? And epiphones are known for being inexpensive tbh. Thats why people go for them instead of gibsons (unless they're loaded?). Personally, even though its an epiphone, id play it, you might love it. Sometimes there isnt a catch.
Oasis nut
Gear: Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Ej-200, Peavey Studio Pro 40, Digitech RP55, Boss ME-20. Too many pedals to list.
Latest additions: epiphone ej-200, boss me-20

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Am I old enough to wear this fist in school?
Well yeah...but i'm a sucker once i have it in my hands. Playing it before making the decision to me is like having sex before making the decision to cum.
Epiphone Masterbilt acoustics are the only epiphones I would ever touch. Honestly, they're solid guitars for the price. Just make sure you try it out and that you like it before you buy.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I dunno about that. I quite like the EJ-200s, but thats just because its great for Oasis haha. Bloody big though =(.
Oasis nut
Gear: Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Ej-200, Peavey Studio Pro 40, Digitech RP55, Boss ME-20. Too many pedals to list.

Quote by DAiMIteHan

My first guitar was an Epiphone DR-100. It was built very nicely and still works great to this day. My only gripes were that I had the saddle break on me, so I had to replace it along with the nut; the tuners are terrible, but I don't play it enough to justify replacing them; and the tone gets really muddy after about 2 days with the same pair of strings, I'm talking muddy as in swampy, dead tone, however what do you expect from a $100 guitar.
Construction wise, Epiphone acoustics are solid and from looking at that Masterbuilt I doubt you'll go wrong.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
i had an aj 100 that i kept at the cottage
we ran out of firewood so i put the guitar on the fire
not kidding.
Quote by mike_oxbig
i had an aj 100 that i kept at the cottage
we ran out of firewood so i put the guitar on the fire
not kidding.

You sir, are full of win.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
haha no that guitar was just full of fail

idk, you can get away with having a cheap electric guitar for the most part, but i hate the sound of a cheap acoustic. I've played the more expensive epiphones and wasn't impressed with them either...but i've never played a solid wood one.

It seems like it's built with quality components, its just my experience with the rest of their products that make me second guess whether there's a catch or not. I don't even know what the catch might be, but i'm almost sure there is one.
when my other acoustic msrp'd for 1200 and it's laminated sides and back?

You overpaid. What guitar out of curiosity?

Masterbilts are very good guitars for the price from my experience. I own a DR-500M and love it.
agree 100%!

Quote by captivate
Epiphone Masterbilt acoustics are the only epiphones I would ever touch. Honestly, they're solid guitars for the price. Just make sure you try it out and that you like it before you buy.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by tom183
You overpaid. What guitar out of curiosity?

Masterbilts are very good guitars for the price from my experience. I own a DR-500M and love it.

well i didn't pay that...i acquired it on trade for a guitar that cost me 200$

Washburn cumberland jumbo
price was about 800 online, said the msrp was 1250

The msterbilt i'm looking at is an AJ-500M. same thing only jumbo sized.
good trade. the cumberland is going for $665 to around $700, but i like the masterbilt better. just so you know, an advanced jumbo is more of a dread than a jumbo.

masterbilt advanced jumbo
http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/18/001/298/793/DV016_Jpg_Large_519028.091.377_natural_nickel_R.jpg

actual jumbo
http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/18/001/294/407/DV016_Jpg_Large_517624.010_natural_R.jpg

dread
http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/gibson_j_45_custom.jpg
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I played a Masterbilt AJ500M at a GC this weekend. It's a pretty nice guitar. Sounded really good, and I liked the neck.

The only thing I don't like is the rumors. I hear a lot of issues about the build quality of epiphones... bridges coming off, etc. It just scares me. I'd rather get something with laminate sides that won't give me issues in a year.
Blueridge BR-160A
Ah that's good to know...I like the washburns size for the tone it produces, but it's not very comfortable.

How did you get to know so much, patticake. You're like a human wikipedia of everything with strings.
Because shes really from a different planet where theyve perfected the knowledge of everything string instrument related?

Whatever it is, we're lucky to have someone with her knowledge
Oasis nut

Quote by DAiMIteHan

well i didn't pay that...i acquired it on trade for a guitar that cost me 200$

Washburn cumberland jumbo
price was about 800 online, said the msrp was 1250

Ah. very glad to hear that you didn't pay over a grand for a guitar with lam back and sides.
they aren't rumors - i've played several of those masterbilts with the bulging belly and slightly lifting bridge, but i hear those were only the first batch. i haven't seen one in a while. the bridge can be stuck back on, btw - my husband bought a recording king with a lifting bridge 'cause it was half price brand new.

Quote by silver8ack
I played a Masterbilt AJ500M at a GC this weekend. It's a pretty nice guitar. Sounded really good, and I liked the neck.

The only thing I don't like is the rumors. I hear a lot of issues about the build quality of epiphones... bridges coming off, etc. It just scares me. I'd rather get something with laminate sides that won't give me issues in a year.

many years of playing, 3 years of obsessive playing, 100's of hours in guitar stores comparing every guitar at every price, research - and agf

l.a. guitar sales, musiciansfriend, elderly, maury's music, guitar center and ams are daily reading stops of mine

Quote by mike_oxbig
Ah that's good to know...I like the washburns size for the tone it produces, but it's not very comfortable.

How did you get to know so much, patticake. You're like a human wikipedia of everything with strings.

ah, you've discovered my secret *BWAHAHAHAHA*

aw, shucks - thank you very much *blush*

Quote by Josh01993
Because shes really from a different planet where theyve perfected the knowledge of everything string instrument related?

Whatever it is, we're lucky to have someone with her knowledge
Quote by Skeet UK
I've played quite a few of them, and know people that own them. They are well built guitars and sound pretty good too. Not my type of tone, but good tone none the less. In their price range they are hard to beat.

As an aside:

The Gibson J-45 isn't a dreadnought, its a Southern Jumbo. The J45 was designed back when Martin still had a patent on the Dreadnought design, but Gibson wanted something to match up against it.

Dreadnought

Southern/ Advanced Jumbo

Small differences, but I'm kinda retentive about that sort of thing.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
You probably met the guy and decided already but for what it's worth, I just bought an epi masterbilt DR500MCE for $430 on musiciansfriend.com. I thought it's a pretty good deal. Although, the lifting bridge issue does worry me a little...
Last edited by KIDRoach at Dec 23, 2011,
I have owned an Epi DR-500M for about 2.5 years. I bought it specifically as a practice/travel guitar and I love it.

I have had absolutely no problems with this instrument, and it's been through the ringer. Since I got it we've traveled coast-to-coast twice and lived in a tent for 6 months. No bridge lift, neck tweaks, binding/top problems (don't listen to second-hand BS here). Great tone and action. Comfortable neck profile. Everyone that has ever played my Epi has been impressed by it, and that includes some real snobs (like me). I was using D'Addario EJ-16's but switched to 17's after a bit and now prefer them.

Don't worry about what other people think of YOUR guitar. Just about every company has Chinese-made guitars these days, at least the "Masterbilt" series is made in separate facility than the other low-end Epi's. If it makes you feel any better, consider it a practical Gibson (they are owned by the same company). I have several other very nice (much more expensive) guitars, and I still play the Epi every single day.

Most importantly, play one and decide if you like it. Screw everyone else.

Spill

_____
Epi DR-500m
Takamine f340s
Larrivee OM-03r (new)
Martin D28
+ a couple others