I bought a bad monkey a month or so ago to get a nice boost for my soloing on my blackstar ht-5h. Plugged into the effects chain it drops the volume significantly and simply does not perform like I had expected. Muds up my playing a bit even. I have a dime wah also in the chain.

Settings are: (0low-10high)

Level: 10
Low-5
High-5
Gain-0

Am I doing something wrong? Should I put the effects in front of the amp and not use the effects chain? I would mess around but my roomie is asleep...

Little advice please?
Thank you in advance.
Dont know much about OD pedals, but doesnt you generally need to have the gain up on them to get overdrive =0? Just a thought.
Oasis nut
Gear: Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Ej-200, Peavey Studio Pro 40, Digitech RP55, Boss ME-20. Too many pedals to list.
Latest additions: epiphone ej-200, boss me-20

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Am I old enough to wear this fist in school?
OD's are usually played in front of the amp. wah's too. you will find the effects loop more usefull for more overpowering or modulating effects like choruses, reverbs, and delays. the loop seem to just mellow them out
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
ya, you want to be pushing your pre amp so put it in front
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Fender Spalted Maple Tele
Squier Affinity Tele w.mods
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Combo + 212 Recto Cab
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by EspTro
OD's are usually played in front of the amp. wah's too. you will find the effects loop more usefull for more overpowering or modulating effects like choruses, reverbs, and delays. the loop seem to just mellow them out

I actually didn't think about it but my wah has sounded kinda funny since I bought the amp too. Thank you greatly for the advice, it is very much appreciated.

Thanks for the help guys! I don't know alot about tube amps and pedals so every bit helps!
Dude, do you have any idea of the sick, perverted, scatological responses a thread title like that can cause?

Seriously, if the pedal is dropping your volume in the effects loop, try front-loading it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Dude, do you have any idea of the sick, perverted, scatological responses a thread title like that can cause?

Seriously, if the pedal is dropping your volume in the effects loop, try front-loading it.

Lol, I dont quite follow, but okay

Im gonna have to try it on the weekend. My roomie works nights so I'm pretty well stuck using my pod x3 with headphones 80% of the time.

Thanks again guys!
always put overdrives, distortions and boosts before the amp in the signal chain. this will boost the amp the way you want it to. modulation effects, on the other hand, usually go in the loop

as for the wah, experiment. place it before the od pedal, after the od pedal, or in the loop. depending on where you place the wah (I like to put mine in the loop), you'll get very different sounds out of it.
Generally speaking to get that boost you're looking for, the OD should be first in the effects chain (before the amp, as mentioned), followed by whatever else and then the wah is last. Guitar ---> OD ---> other pedals ---> wah ---> amp.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Its just gonna be 1570>od>wah>Bs-ht5. I'm not going to use the chain at all unless the wah still sounds f***ed up

Thanks for the responses.
You wanna make your guitar sound dirty not your amp. I figured that out fooling around with rocksmth's vurtual amps and pedals :P

EDIT: Lol woops i didn't even realize anybody else said anything. I'm sleepy as hell.
Last edited by uncle_sprinter at Dec 22, 2011,
infront of the distortion pedal to overdrive the distortion pedal so you can play metal on any AMP DA DA DA DUN DUN DUN DA DUN DA DUN (HEAD BOB) DUN DA DA DUN DUN Weeeehehehehehehheehhee (pinch harmonic,) weiiiinnhhhhhhhhhhhhwowowowow (floyd rose dive bomb)
Actually dont use my distortion pedal, the ht-5 has that well covered.
Im pretty well wanting to use it as a lead boost as its only a 2 channel amp, and I dont wanna muss with the settings every time I wanna play a solo.