My friend met a guy at his work and they are starting some kind of screamo-hardcore-meh devils wears prada .... Anyways between them it's just vocals and guitar, so I might play bass with them for the experience of it. I just got back from the guys house and he has a really nice studio, but his guitar rig is this massive a full stack of 4x12's and a big marshall MG100 on top mids scooped etc.

Right now I have several 1x15's and my GK MB200, just got my $40 Peavey mark IV up and running, and yeaa... gonna sell that.. just too much weight, and knobs, switches, buttons and inputs and outputs for me.

I know "no bass amp is right for one genre" and I have no inkling to get a dedicated screamo amp. I'm going to university as well and coming back weekends etc, so I am thinking of dumping a load of excessive gear and parts and maybe getting $500-$1000.

Now I want a rig that can be just a head and one cab 4x10 being the absolute biggest I'd go for. I want a head thats not necessarily light, but takes up little room. Also I already have the clean crisp hifi GK tone, I want something be it a head or head and pedal, that can give me a gritty raunchy tone from Southern culture on the Skids to Electric Wizard.
That Marshall MG probably isn't as loud as it looks. The MG cabinets aren't particularly efficient. A good 500-watt and above bass amp should beat it into submission. Since you've already got a few cabinets, take a look at something like Acoustic's B600 head, or Carvin's BX500.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Why anyone would dedicate multiple 4x12's to use in conjunction with an MG is beyond me. Anyway, you won't have much trouble being heard; the MG's distortion channel (since that's what you'll be playing along with most of the time) is very thin and fizzy, and if his mids are heavily scooped it just means the sound is going to be even more hollow and fizzy. The things that'll be lacking from that sort of tone are clarity and power, which is exactly what you should be able to provide without having to worry all that much.

I don't play bass so I can't give you an exact amp suggestion, but you're going to be able to fill out the sound fairly easily. Also, you could ask him why in the world he devotes so many cabs to an MG head, I'd like to know the answer to that one too.
Just get an Ampeg 8x10 it's easy to take with you. Refrigerators for days.
Main Basses:
Warwick RB Corvette 5
Douglas Sculptor 825 NA Fretless 5

Main Rig:
Sansamp>GK Backline 600>2 GK BLX 210 Cabinets
^I lift mine with my pinkey^
A 100 watt solid state head isn't really going to put out the same kind of all consuming volume as a 100 watt tube head,so don't be too worried aout that.
If he's using a smiley EQ,make yours the complete opposite and you'll cut right through.
Now I love Electric Wizard,which really is a very tube-y kind of sound, definitely not suited to hardcore.Maybe look into a Sansamp with a poweramp?
That'd make a small,easy gig rig that can cover alot of tones.
If you're going to be tuning down past C,I'd suggest using a 15" as opposed to a 4x10,as it will handle it that much better,but 10's will cut through thick gutiars more.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
I my Hartke 8x10 'fridge.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I'm glad it was helpful. Thanks for sharing such a great post!
Posted stuff was abselutely superb and mind blowing for increasing visitors interest and curiosity.Discussion need to be made some sophisticated and easier for commenters to participate in the discussion?

Links removed by Mod.
Quote by Ian hawkins
^I lift mine with my pinkey^
A 100 watt solid state head isn't really going to put out the same kind of all consuming volume as a 100 watt tube head,so don't be too worried aout that.
If he's using a smiley EQ,make yours the complete opposite and you'll cut right through.
Now I love Electric Wizard,which really is a very tube-y kind of sound, definitely not suited to hardcore.Maybe look into a Sansamp with a poweramp?
That'd make a small,easy gig rig that can cover alot of tones.
If you're going to be tuning down past C,I'd suggest using a 15" as opposed to a 4x10,as it will handle it that much better,but 10's will cut through thick guitars more.

Ok, the biggest guitar amp I've played was like a fender 212r, my amp is just a classic 30 so even though it's loud and has an extension 12, his wall of speakers just seemed so overkill.

I did just get my Peavey 60/60 tube power amp and my dream is to use it in conjunction with another head for a big wall myself of sound, even then I prefer multiple cabs to one huge one. In reality right now I want a (TB lingo) "Mini rig of doom". I've been looking at hybrid amps, but people seem kind of meh about them.

Right now I've looked at the orange bass terror 500, and it seems for the money and brand a good idea, but everyone says its fans loud, and it hums, hisses and squeals. Having no access to one though I cannot comment on it's overall effect.

Lastly I realllllly want a sansamp, but the bass di driver, everyone says the mids are sucked etc. the sansamp VT I read is nice but setup for recording, not DI and pedal style?
Quote by Ziphoblat
Fixed.

As mature musicians bassist are, we have to be the better men here... don't let guitards piss you off. ignore their ignorance. some day, they'll learn.

So, yes, bass guitars has tones. however, please notice that this thread is about bass amps. that, for the record, also have tone.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Marshall MG........ Sounds like this guy is one of the "I have a massive rig that says Marshall on it so I'm asweome" kind of guy.

Have you thought about running your bass DI? also, you should EQ alot of treble and upper mids in.
Quote by Sudaka

As mature musicians bassist are, we have to be the better men here... don't let guitards piss you off. ignore their ignorance. some day, they'll learn.

Please don't assume we're all like that.
Quote by askrere
but his guitar rig is this massive a full stack of 4x12's and a big marshall MG100 on top mids scooped etc.

I think you should encourage him to just crank the piss out of it... Keep holding your hand to your ear like you're having a hard time hearing him.. It'll break... problem solved...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by askrere
Lastly I realllllly want a sansamp, but the bass di driver, everyone says the mids are sucked etc. the sansamp VT I read is nice but setup for recording, not DI and pedal style?

I just received a Tech21VT bass and use it with my MB500 and it really fattens the sound up, it's easy to get a tone for that genre using both. My 2c

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
I finally got to try my peavey 60/60 and crate tdp, I am loving that 6l6gc based tube grind. Shame at 60 watts I'd never be able to compete that thing is a beast.
If you can't get over a piece of shit MG with a 60 watt a side stereo tube power amp you're doing it totally wrong.
I feel sorry for your ears having to put up with that wall of fail.
Quote by askrere
My friend met a guy at his work and they are starting some kind of screamo-hardcore-meh devils wears prada .... so I might play bass with them

I'm sorry.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by consecutive e
If you can't get over a piece of shit MG with a 60 watt a side stereo tube power amp you're doing it totally wrong.
I feel sorry for your ears having to put up with that wall of fail.

Lol thanks for the sympathy. Still haven't played with them, but if my tube amp you think could work then damn I will, just to run circles around it.

I am running that amp into a 200 watt 15" on one side and a 350 watt 15" cab on the other, I read you can hurt speakers buy under powering am I doing that? cause I really don't want to hunt down crappy beginner bass practice amps to hack into cabs.