So, as the title says I was in my first car crash today. I was driving on the highway in stop and go traffic. Eventually it let up for a second, people started going, and then WHAM! Lady in front of me slams on her brakes, I slam into her (at like... 20mph, so nothing too spectacular) and then some guy hits my back passenger side trying to stop/swerve out of the way.

The lady (who was 7 months pregnant) was fine and her car got a couple scratches in it. The guy who hit me was fine, an some of the tin on his car peeled back, but nothing otherwise. My car? Pretty ****ed. If I can get the picture on here I'll post it. It actually doesn't look that bad, but my brakeline leaked all over, my lights/grill got shattered, and some of the engine got messed up. Not too sure if it's actually totaled or not, going to find out tomorrow I guess.

Either way, feel free to comment. Any stories regarding to tales similar to mine would be good so I know what to expect. Also, I feel as though I should mention no one's airbags deployed, and had I stopped shrt of hitting the lady, the guy who hit me would've WRECKED me (or himself, I was in a Chevy Blazer, he was in a Kia Optima And the lady was in a Ford Explorer).
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
Never been in a wreck because I don't drive like an idiot.
Check out my band Disturbed
Oh, right, this is the Pit. Of course everybody is going to assume I was driving like an asshole and not actually read what I wrote. Thanks guys.
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
Quote by Robb987123Bass
Oh, right, this is the Pit. Of course everybody is going to assume I was driving like an asshole and not actually read what I wrote. Thanks guys.

Eventually it let up for a second, people started going, and then WHAM! Lady in front of me slams on her brakes, I slam into her

I did. How is that NOT your fault? Pay more attention and don't follow so close.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Robb987123Bass

You hit the car in front of you. How is that not your fault?

You shouldn't tailgate, noob.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
^ indeed. You need to learn how to drive in traffic. Things can speed up and slow down very quickly - keep your distance and keep an eye on what's going on beyond the car immediately in front of you.
for every 7mph youre driving keep 1 car length distance between the car you are following mate.

Also pay the hell attention. The car in front of you slamming is no excuse.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
That's why you don't follow right on someone's ass, noob.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Robb987123Bass

I read what you wrote. You were clearly tailgating.

Learn how to drive, asshole.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I bet more than half the people in this thread are too young to get a license.

65K km under my belt. 0 accidents, and I drive like a hooligan, in a modded car.

But, I pay attention, therefore, 0 accidents on the road.
I got hit by an asian lady once....

My car had some scratches, her car got obliterated. not sure how
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I bet more than half the people in this thread are too young to get a license.

I've been driving for 5 years, I drive 3000-4000 miles every year, and I've never been pulled over, let alone received a citation.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
I crashed once. It was pretty bad. The paramedics and cops were absolutely stunned that nobody died.
Quote by Deadlock Riff
for every 7mph youre driving keep 1 car length distance between the car you are following mate.

Do you ever drive on the highway? Cause that's a ****-load of car lengths.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
Do you ever drive on the highway? Cause that's a ****-load of car lengths.

This. 2 carlengths is the standard for freeway distances.

However, you don't need the distances and help if you just know the limits of your car. Every driver should take their car to an empty parking lot, wet or dry, and test their systems. Braking, steering, know the limits of your car and how fast shit can happen.

If you know your car and pay attention (and don't drive like an idiot), you don't have anything to worry about. Any accidents that happen will be other people's fault or just dumb luck. Sometimes you can't avoid an accident.

I do know how bad it can get in traffic though, so I don't blame you, just glad nobody was hurt.

The blazer probably has a worse braking system than the explorer for one, from what I'm imagining, and honestly, shit happens.

About 6 years of driving experience under my belt, I've driven 9 different cars, been on multiple lengthy road trips and frequently drive in traffic. Anyone who says I'm not relatively well experienced compared to others on this side (except Jackal) can suck dicks. One accident, my fault, but you learn from your mistakes.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
Last edited by Vince Sixx at Dec 21, 2011,
Number one rule, keep your damned distance. Insurance companies automatically view hitting someone from behind as your fault. Theres no excuse when you're in traffic.
Quote by StewieSwan

+1

TS, if you are lucky the insurers might think the car behind shunted you into the one in front, but really, what kind of a prat just mindlessly stomps on the accelerator pedal when they are in heavy traffic? So what it let up for a second. It was stop-start traffic. Of course it was going to stop again. You should pay more attention.

I have actually been in quite a serious crash, when my boyfriend was driving. He drives like an absolute maniac. It was a high-speed smash where he pulled out on someone who was also speeding, they then hit us and spun our car out several times. I was a bit bruised, my boyfriend was pinned in his side of the car but also managed to crawl out with just scratches. He had a tiny little scratch on his hip where the metal of the car dug into him. I keep trying to tell him that if the car had caved in by a few more inches he would probably have lost his leg, but he still drives like a ****ing pillock. Some people
Quote by andyscoot
Number one rule, keep your damned distance. Insurance companies automatically view hitting someone from behind as your fault. Theres no excuse when you're in traffic.

There are plenty.

Some of the people in this thread are hilarious
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
damn bro im sorry that happened.
my ex and i almost died going to san fran, if you are familiar with california, going from dublin to sf, over by the bart on the right is the car lots and further ahead the right turn to go to san jose and on te left is a white wall next to the train. so i was in the far left lane and this guy tried to switch into my lane andi had nowhere to go but towards the wall and almost crashed.

another time i was hella sad and recklessly driving during wet weather and made a left turn going like 15mph, and turned too sharply and made a 360. then drove away hahaha it was an adrenaline rush.

another time with my ex we were driving and i ran a stop sign in a poor neighborhood, i didnt see it it was behind a tree, and the people to the left of me at the intersection werent paying as much attention either and we got so close to crashing, but my cat like reflexes saved us.

oh i also pulled out of my driveway, being hella cautious, checking for kids and cars and ended up hitting the front of my neighbors car, and it looked like my fault but now that i think about it, it was completely hers. she drives really bad, shes almost hit cars herself, and she didnt make any effort to avoid me slowly backing out so i doubt she was paying attention.

and i hit, very very slowly and softly this old ladys car in traffic leaving the mall because i was opening yugioh cards and i had a shiny and was so excited i forgot to look foreward. it was stop and go so it wasnt a huge deal.

edit:i learned that it was always be able to count 3-4 seconds of time between you and the car in front of you. example: you would look ahead and pick out an object and count the time between them passing it and you, about 3 seconds is a safe distance, no matter what speed.
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Dec 21, 2011,
Quote by Das_Skittles
You shouldn't tailgate, noob.

This x 1000.

I can't believe how many people tailgate so closely. it's ****ing retarded.
Sorry about your accident mate.

Whether it was your fault or not, no-ones perfect, and everyone loses concentration.

Just good everyones alright, never had a crash myself, but have come close on occasion. Just last week someone pulled out in front of me and I had to swerve to avoid them.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Sucks bro
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Why did she slam her brakes on?

Although to be fair most insurance companies will blame the driver behind for not maintaining the proper separation distance, and usually they're right to, even if someone does brake check you, because you were either too close or not paying proper attention.

Mistakes happen though, as long as it wasn't too serious.
that sucks...

...teaches you to not tailgate then :P:

I've never been in a car crash myself, but my sister has been. She was coming out of a one way street (in the right direction) and some retard decided to be a salmon and whammed straight into her. The stupidity of some people astounds me.
Some people in this thread are either:

A) Fair
B) Unfair
C) Stupid or
D) Clueless

Sorry to hear about it though, and I hope it's all good.

Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
20ish mph in stop/go traffic and you couldn't stop in time? Learn to not follow so damn close. I know chevy blazer brakes suck, I used to drive a '96 one. That's more of a reason to not follow people closely.

Quote by StewieSwan

Eventually somebody will hit you and you can do nothing to prevent or avoid the situation. It took me 12 years of driving to get into an accident, one that wasn't my fault.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Dec 21, 2011,
Parking in a busy parking lot in peak hour. found a spot next to a giant orange pole. thought i was invincible and parked rather quickly and scraped the pole. only broke my headlight though.
I was once in the left lane cruising ~50 MPH when for no good reason an idiot lady two cars in front slammed on her brakes and came to a full panic stop in the middle of a bridge. There was nothing in front of her, no traffic, no construction, she just imagined something was wrong and slammed on her brakes out of nowhere. In the left lane of a highway bridge.

Well the car between us was a van with no windows so I couldn't see the idiot lady two cars in front. All I saw was the van in front of me hit his brakes. I hit the brakes too but not fast enough because I didn't know what was going on until I saw his tires start to smoke. So I hit him (we were both driving work cars so it wasn't a huge deal and nobody got hurt either). Then she drove away like nothing happened and he came back and told me about it.

But in the end, despite everything and despite the van guy telling the cops what happened with the dumb woman, I was still legally liable for the accident because I hit him from behind.

So always expect the unexpected. And leave a lot of room between you and the person in front of you. There are a lot of idiots out there.