Since I keep my nails shorts for sports and other instruments, it's difficult to achieve a sharp sound with longer nails. I've been looking into finger picks, and I am unsure of what size to get (how do I measure my finger width?), as well as which brand is the best.

If anyone has tips it would be greatly appreciated.
dude I feel you. I just can't even use the finger picks though. Just grow them out. I started painting mine with nail strengthener. I kind of feel homo doing it, but it keeps them from breaking when I bust them against something.
Your nails do not need to be "long" to produce a good tone. Mine are under 1/8" and I play both steel-string acoustic and resonator guitars with them.
The ideal is the same technique used by classical guitarists; just enough nail so that you get a combination of flesh and nail as they break across the string.
They do need to be carefully shaped and also beveled from the underside.
Quote by Bikewer
Your nails do not need to be "long" to produce a good tone. Mine are under 1/8" and I play both steel-string acoustic and resonator guitars with them.
The ideal is the same technique used by classical guitarists; just enough nail so that you get a combination of flesh and nail as they break across the string.
They do need to be carefully shaped and also beveled from the underside.

Agree with that. They should not be long. Long nails are an impediment to accuracy, speed and tone. And they break easier!
Quote by Bikewer
Here's a nice page with simple instructions on nail care for the guitarist:

http://www.ringmusic.com/tips/nailcare.html

The shaping advice there just seems a bit too extensive for me. I just have a small "honing stone" I got with a cheap knife a while back and use that as a file. Then once I file them to the right shape I slip it under the nail and remove the burrs/ bevel it. Takes all of 10 min (at most) and gets my nails good as gravy.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1