Hi,

I am thinking of buying a 2x12 or 4x12 orange cab with v30. I play metal and would like to record! However, i dont know whether buying a 2x12 or 4x12 would be better.

Its mainly for home use and i dont really want to disturb the neighbours. I heard that 2x12 are easier to work since they are easier to be pushed with high wattage amps with but i have no experience with 2x12 yet. Another thing is that low wattage amps are not supposed to be used with 4x12 amiright since they can push the speakers enough.Can someone give advice regarding this matter?
I now have a signature
If you don't want to disturb your neighbours, it could be worth using amp & cab simulators, that way you'd be able to keep the volume down as well as being able to choose which cab sounds better for each recording. It wouldn't be my choice, but then I'm not so worried about my neighbours.

What recording kit do you have? Most decent multitrackers will have a few amp & cab simulators built in, or if you're using software there are 100s of downloadable plugins which will create the sound you need.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Dec 21, 2011,
I have to agree with Gary if its for home use and you dont wanna tick off your neighbours then sims and IR loader are a great lil pets to have. What ive done in the past is i'll record with sims and IR's in the house then take an amp, cab and a laptop to our rehearsal space to reamp that way, then i can blast the thing as loud as needs be to get the guts from the tube amp.

Just a thought anyways, best of luck to you.
what wattage is your amp? the V30s are rated to 60W, how many you need might depend on wattage. only saying this, because you could get away with a simple 1x12. you are probably going to be close micing a single speaker for recording anyway, so there really isnt any need to get a 2x12 or 4x12. if you must go with multiple speakers, i would go with a 2x12. ive found they sound full in a room, but arent as big or heavy as a 4x12. nice compromise IMO.
Quote by jof1029
what wattage is your amp? the V30s are rated to 60W, how many you need might depend on wattage. only saying this, because you could get away with a simple 1x12. you are probably going to be close micing a single speaker for recording anyway, so there really isnt any need to get a 2x12 or 4x12. if you must go with multiple speakers, i would go with a 2x12. ive found they sound full in a room, but arent as big or heavy as a 4x12. nice compromise IMO.

i havent bought an amp yet that i want to use for recording...but it should be either 100 or 150 watts. That being said, maybe using a IR or cab simulator would be more feasible.
I now have a signature
Quote by jnsw
Its mainly for home use and i dont really want to disturb the neighbours.

Quote by jnsw
i havent bought an amp yet that i want to use for recording...but it should be either 100 or 150 watts.

Seriously? If it's just for recording & home use, an amp that size is just completely unnecessary.

You only need that much if you're going to be out gigging with it. Yes, you can use the volume to try not to disturb the neighbours, but as you'd never go above about 1 on the volume knob you wouldn't get the amps 'real' sound anyway.

You'd be far better off with a smaller amp that you can actually use (or the simulators), rather than a large one that you aren't getting any real benefit from.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'd definitely go for amp sims and cab impulses in your case. If you don't have a decent interface, then you'll most likely need one, aswell as some good recording software. Reaper is a good choice if you're just starting.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by GaryBillington
Seriously? If it's just for recording & home use, an amp that size is just completely unnecessary.

You only need that much if you're going to be out gigging with it. Yes, you can use the volume to try not to disturb the neighbours, but as you'd never go above about 1 on the volume knob you wouldn't get the amps 'real' sound anyway.

You'd be far better off with a smaller amp that you can actually use (or the simulators), rather than a large one that you aren't getting any real benefit from.

Yea...but ive seen videos of people using these heads in their small rooms so even if i get them i still could crank them a lil bit...
I now have a signature
Quote by jnsw
Yea...but ive seen videos of people using these heads in their small rooms so even if i get them i still could crank them a lil bit...

If you want to use a 100 watt amp head for recording or in your room, you can definitely use it...but the volume would hardly be at 1 out of 10/11. You'd need a Power Soak / Attenuator to get the optimal tone at such low volumes. Thus why most would recommend a lower wattage amp.
Twitter
Soundcloud

ESP LTD EC-500
Krank Krankenstein
Krank Krankenstein 4x12 Cabinet
Alesis M-EQ 230
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby GC95
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
I recommend a much much smaller amp. Even if you're playing shows, you can mic it and get that nice loud tube tone at a much more reasonable volume. Your ears will be happier, the sound guy will be happier (if he's worth 2 cents), and for recording, everyone within a mile of your house will be happier...

I've heard many incredible sounding amps between 15 and 30W, and if you stick a mic on that it's a lot easier to record and sounds absolutely massive miked and coming through a PA.
Quote by sandyman323
I recommend a much much smaller amp. Even if you're playing shows, you can mic it and get that nice loud tube tone at a much more reasonable volume. Your ears will be happier, the sound guy will be happier (if he's worth 2 cents), and for recording, everyone within a mile of your house will be happier...

I've heard many incredible sounding amps between 15 and 30W, and if you stick a mic on that it's a lot easier to record and sounds absolutely massive miked and coming through a PA.

Exactly. If you're going to record with a tube amp you'll want one smaller. With a 100w head you won't be able to get good tube saturation cause you'll have the volume around 1. So it'll just sound muddy and not very good at all. Find a small wattage head and get a single speaker. You're probably only going to be micing one anyway. This would be your best option as long as you don't plan on rehearsing or gigging with this amp. If you are then amp sims are going to be the way you need to go. Or just piss off your neighbors and buy some ear plugs.