This is something you should always do when you get a new amp - pull out the tubes and plug them back in. That could easily be a tube that's rattled loose in the socket.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have no issue opening the amp up, but I am nervous about touching the tubes. Advice? Tips?
Use a rag or glove if they aren't cold. If they are nice and cool you can just grab them with your hand, otherwise use a rag. Wash you hands first. You don't want the valves getting greasy. Won't hurt them but it makes it harder to get them out next time.
Grab the glass and pull them straight out. Just give them a little wiggle. Don't go overboard or you'll bend the bins and you'll have to straighten them with needle nosed pliers.
Once you have one out you'll see how it works. Just push them back in. They can only go in one way. You'll see a gap in the ring of holes in the socket; mate that up with the pattern of pins on the base of the valve. You'll understand when you see it.

Edit. Just found some photos of it - no covers so i've edited that out. It looks like the power tube has a spring retainer. Let the tubes cool down first. You can grab the bar at the top that the springs are attached to an pull it straight up until it clears the little dick on top of the tube and move it sideways. Now you can grab the tube and pull it out and push it back in.
Otherwise just pull it all up as one, tube and retainer and pull it up a few mm and let it all settle back down. That should be ample
The other one is recessed into the chassis but you can still get hold of it and pull it straight out then replace it. You are just checking that they are plugged in all the way. Plus moving them can shift some gunk.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 21, 2011,
Tubes are back in. Not gonna lie, my heart was pounding while messing with them.

Amp powers up. No issues. Let's hope it stays that way...

EDIT: Nope, still there.....
Last edited by lemurflames at Dec 21, 2011,
It shouldn't be doing that on standby. Take it back.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It happens when I take standby off and I'm about to play. Either way, it shouldn't be doing that.
All boxed up and ready to return as soon as possible. Hopefully the second head will be great. If not, I may have to look to another brand. EDIT: If the second is defective, it may be the speaker cab.

Thank you for trying to help.
Last edited by lemurflames at Dec 21, 2011,