Hi!

Last year I started studying at a university and I havent had much time to play guitar. I got a small appartment, so I did not want to bring my mesa express combo as its way too loud for playing in my appartment. Instead I brought my Blackheart little giant 7w (I think?) and a small 112 cab.

Anyways, I want to take up playing guitar again, but I feel like my little giant is very limited, tone-wise. I like to play some coheed and cambria and even some heavier stuff than that, so I need something more dirty. Im looking to buy and EC-401 sometime soon, either the one with emg's or the one with duncans, cant really decide!

What bedroom level amp should I get?

Requirements:
Low watt tube amp (<7-10W, sound>volume)
Nothing crazy, <450Euro total
Will be ordering from www.thomann.de
Got a 112 little giant cab if that is useful?
Headphone compatibility is a +

I've look at the likes of Dark terror, lil' nighttrain, ht5 etc.

Cheers,
M
Last edited by Magg1o at Dec 21, 2011,
Well, if your looking to play heavier genres, ignore the wattage. You'll be getting your gain mostly from the preamp , so you can just turn it down to bedroom volumes anyways. It will still sound great just better when its louder.

The dark terror is kinda limited with just a tone knob not a band eq. See if you can find a used Peavey Triple X, Ultra, or Ultra plus. They go for decently cheap.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
at lower wattages that little giant is one of the best amps, the problem is ur not getting any gain out of it without everyone going insane because there is no master vol knob, the handsome devil is actually better as a bedroom amp than a little giant simply because of the master vol. U can get any amp u want aslong as it has a master vol and the people around u are not major dicks, u should be fine.

the lil night train and ht-5 are what i would be going for in ur position as well. but again remember the 15w and 2w night trains do not have MASTER VOLUME, u'll be back at square one. I am pretty sure the dark terror does, and the blackstar ht5 does as well, so these are better choices.
the bh112 is DEFINITELY usefull u can plug in ur new head into it, u wont need to buy a new cab, hell the bh112 is rated up to 75w's so u can put through a 50-60w head in it no prob. This will surely save u some $$$

For headphones the night train and blackstar both have headphone out.

I cant recommend the orange or blackstar just because i have not played them, the night train 15 didnt get my going but the night train 50 did... personally i'd stick with a blackheart handsome devil but i dont play any metal. I am surprised u find the little giant limited, if its anything like the handsome devil u should be able to dial in a WHOLE slew of different tones.

judging from what other's recommend ur most likely going to get quite a few blackstar amps, i cant speak for one having never played one.
Last edited by stratplyr at Dec 21, 2011,
Dont get me wrong, the Little Giant is a really good amp for its price/wattage. I just feel like its not made for post-rock.
Quote by JoePerry4life
Well, if your looking to play heavier genres, ignore the wattage. You'll be getting your gain mostly from the preamp , so you can just turn it down to bedroom volumes anyways. It will still sound great just better when its louder.

The dark terror is kinda limited with just a tone knob not a band eq. See if you can find a used Peavey Triple X, Ultra, or Ultra plus. They go for decently cheap.

can always stick an eq pedal in the effects loop
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by Goodtimes666
can always stick an eq pedal in the effects loop

Good point. TC I suggest try one out with an eq in the loop and maybe a tubescreamer in the front to tighten it up a bit, and see if you like it.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
If your only issue with the Little Giant is that you're not getting enough gain, you might benefit more from investing in an overdrive pedal. If you're set on a new amp and want bedroom-volume high gain with headphone compatibility I'll say what everyone else will tell you and recommend a Peavey Vypyr. You could also look into a Line 6 POD even though they're not technically amps.
Quote by JoePerry4life
Good point. TC I suggest try one out with an eq in the loop and maybe a tubescreamer in the front to tighten it up a bit, and see if you like it.

that set up would definitely kick some ass
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by NakedInTheRain
i'd just get a POD to be honest. not a fan of low wattage amps.

This. Or Pod Farm and run it through your computer through some nice speakers. Unless you plan on jamming with a band up at school....then a low wattage amp won't work well either.

Look into the Pod HD series.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals

the lil night train and ht-5 are what i would be going for in ur position as well. but again remember the 15w and 2w night trains do not have MASTER VOLUME, u'll be back at square one.

QUOTE]

The 15W Night Train most definately DOES have MASTER VOLUME. It is switchable down to 7.5W as well.

It does NOT have a headphone socket though.

It sounds great.

AshersUK
The Mesa Express is the perfect amp for what you're describing, frankly. You're not going to find anything that sounds better at low volume for what you want.

I'd suggest taking the express, but for really quiet practice (eg late night), use virtual amp sims like Amplitube Free and Revalver with PC speakers/headphones.

Also, make sure your amp is off the floor - on a chair or something. This can greatly reduce the volume outside of the room.
Quote by kyle62
The Mesa Express is the perfect amp for what you're describing, frankly. You're not going to find anything that sounds better at low volume for what you want.

I'd suggest taking the express, but for really quiet practice (eg late night), use virtual amp sims like Amplitube Free and Revalver with PC speakers/headphones.

Also, make sure your amp is off the floor - on a chair or something. This can greatly reduce the volume outside of the room.

Or he can just buy a attenuator for the same price of a small tube amp and keep his Mesa Express without blowing the neighbors away. Attenuators are great things.
The Express series has a switch that brings it down to 5 watts guys....I just remembered that...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
baron snott watt.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by stratplyr

the lil night train and ht-5 are what i would be going for in ur position as well. but again remember the 15w and 2w night trains do not have MASTER VOLUME, u'll be back at square one.

QUOTE]

The 15W Night Train most definately DOES have MASTER VOLUME. It is switchable down to 7.5W as well.

It does NOT have a headphone socket though.

It sounds great.

AshersUK

well there ya go

I would still hold onto the little giant and get a few pedals. I dont know about an overdrive pedal, OD always sounds better at higher volumes. Go for a dist pedal.
Oh yeah, I have a bad monkey and another boss distortion pedal lying around somewhere too. With active pups they might be enough to get some meaner stuff out of my amp! Thanks for all the suggestions btw
Quote by kyle62

and how the hell do you suggest he gets a Mesa Express for less than €450??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
and how the hell do you suggest he gets a Mesa Express for less than €450??

In the OP, the TS says he opted not to bring his Mesa Express to school... the €450 looks to be the budget for a new purchase.

EDIT: And for the €450 and keeping said Mesa, one would think he could get a quality gain box to get him the sound he wants...
Last edited by irnmadn88 at Dec 21, 2011,