Yo!!!
i'm thinking of buying a new guitar my old guitar (Epiphone Les Paul Special II)
is getting old and all scratched up (+ the treble is broken)
Now i'm really in to hardcore and metalcore
could some of you give some advice on good guitars for playing hardcore
preferably les paul style
my budget is 700euros (or dollars) but it could be a little more

THX anyway,
DWL
As always, LTD - EC1000
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
maybe its too early for me to detect sarcasm

but you want suggestions on which guitar to get...but you want it to be a les paul style

i'm gonna go ahead and take the bait

how about a les paul?
Quote by mike_oxbig
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/dean-cadillac-select-electric-guitar

or that's fairly similar to a les paul if you don't want people to wonder why a "hardcore metal" guitarist is playing a jazz/country/rock guitar

How about an used Gibson LP? Looks a lot better than a Dean cadillac..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

no shit, but it'll look a bit out of place in the metal scene. might as well be playing A7X with a ukulele.

I think a les paul is a great choice, it's my go-to instrument. But it's not the guitar typically associated with the genre you said you play.
I have a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser fixed bridge. I hate it, horrible guitar.... It may be too hardcore for me, I am over 30.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
If you want a look in at deans, get a soltero. not a caddilac. Solteros really impressed me for a dean, and are easily some of the best guitars they make. They don't look out of place too really, and why should you be worried about looks? If you have the tone you want you'll be able to relax and show stage presence. and thats what impresses an audience, not a shiny guitar. (coming from me with a shiny ass PRS )
Yeah i only recommended the caddy because of its resemblance to a les paul. I've never tried a solteros. I had a caddy for about a week as a result of my GAS but it went out the door pretty damn fast.
Quote by mike_oxbig
no shit, but it'll look a bit out of place in the metal scene. might as well be playing A7X with a ukulele.

I think a les paul is a great choice, it's my go-to instrument. But it's not the guitar typically associated with the genre you said you play.

No offense, but A7X looks a little out of place in general..
And why would LP look out of place? Many metal greats use Gibson Les Paul guitars.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Since a Gibson Les Paul Axcess Custom is out of you price range, I'd go with the LTD EC-1000
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
None taken, i'm not a fan of almost any bands in that genre.

He asked for a hardcore guitar. I personally would use a LP for almost anything i wanted to play, but it's not what pops into my head when i think of a hardcore style guitar.
Quote by mike_oxbig
None taken, i'm not a fan of almost any bands in that genre.

He asked for a hardcore guitar. I personally would use a LP for almost anything i wanted to play, but it's not what pops into my head when i think of a hardcore style guitar.

I think there are blues guitarists with Gibson Flying Vs and Explorers.
And there are metal guitarists with Fender Stratocasters and Gibson Les Pauls.

What my point is, is that your guitar does not need to look like that it belongs to any genre. That's probably because I hate pretty much all these Beast, Warlock, Warbeast and other the same kind shapes... King Vs look cool though and so does Rhoads.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by Sakke at Dec 21, 2011,
yep, they're fairly versatile. but that still doesn't make les pauls hardcore guitars, nor does it make flying V's blues guitars.

i'll cite google images on this one: http://www.google.ca/search?q=hardcore+guitar&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=-e_xTuj6H8nu0gGx2b2bAg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CA8Q_AUoAQ&biw=1126&bih=569#hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=guitar:+metal&oq=guitar:+metal&aq=f&aqi=g2g-m3g-S5&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=5307l5307l2l5650l1l1l0l0l0l0l109l109l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=4d15ecdf863ef90c&biw=1126&bih=569

to the original poster: look for a zak wylde les paul, that's probably exactly what you're looking for.
Quote by Sakke
I think there are blues guitarists with Gibson Flying Vs and Explorers.
And there are metal guitarists with Fender Stratocasters and Gibson Les Pauls.

What my point is, is that your guitar does not need to look like that it belongs to any genre. That's probably because I hate pretty much all these Beast, Warlock, Warbeast and other the same kind shapes... King Vs look cool though and so does Rhoads.

you're preaching to the choir man, it's not the guitar that defines the music that comes out of it, but he didn't ask for a guitar to play hardcore music on, he asked for a hardcore guitar. A gibson les paul is a classy guitar. A hardcore guitar to me is meant to double as a weapon should the need arise.

edit

actually i now see that he asked for both
whatever...pointless debate is pointless
if he wants a good guitar get a les paul
if he wants a hardcore guitar there are a ton of other good choices
anything is gonna seem amazing after upgrading from a special II
Last edited by mike_oxbig at Dec 21, 2011,
Play whatever feels good and stick something sharp in the bridge pickup socket. Nothing else matters much because the ridiculous amount of gain you’ll be using will mask out all of a guitar’s nuances anyway.
Hardcore or Metalcore is a wide spectrum dude. Some hardcore guitarist's play unmodded Fender Telecasters.

But since I think you mean a high gain guitar I'll stop being pedantic an actually help. Really all you need is a guitar with a high gain humbucker in the bridge and a mahogany body (as the classic favourite). Personal preference I'd look at ESP/LTD or Schecter. Both companies will do something you like the look of. I'd recommend finding a guitar shop near you and playing as many as you can.

Also an Amp is important. Buying a 700 dollar guitar and putting it through a Spider IV is a waste of your time and money.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I would get the new Kramer Assault 220 Plus EMG (81/85) it's only $599 and if your not into actives they have a passive version with Seymour Duncan (Alternative 8/59)
They also have Korean Floyd Rose Original equipped ones in both styles if you want one with a Floyd.

You can check them all out in the link below, also check out their other models they have some bad ass guitars available. http://kramerguitars.com/Products/Assault.aspx

They can all be found at Sam Ash and American Musical Supply.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Dec 21, 2011,
Quote by mike_oxbig
maybe its too early for me to detect sarcasm

but you want suggestions on which guitar to get...but you want it to be a les paul style

i'm gonna go ahead and take the bait

how about a les paul?

a bit more specific please
rondomusic.com check out the agile hornets starting at $319.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
So you want a hardcore guitar?
What do you mean by that? What features are you looking for in a guitar?

. What kind of construction do you prefer?

. What kind of pickups are you looking for?

. What woods do you want?

. What neck profile do you like?

. Do you like flatter or more curved fingerboards? (this makes a big difference to the overall feel of the guitar for me)

. Do you prefer a certain scale length?

. What bridge do you want?

. Do you prefer a certain body style?

The more information you give to us, the more accurate our educated guesses are for finding the right guitar for you.

If you don't know the answers to any of those questions, you basically don't know what you want. If that's the case, i suggest going to a guitar store and play as many different guitars as possible to find what works for you.

Very generally, a guitar that works well for modern metal and metalcore may have a thin neck, large fretwires and a slightly longer scale length to help with lower tunings. They may come with high output pickups and many have Floyd Roses, but many also have fixed bridges (depending on what sort of playing style you have). There is no rule how a guitar should be however. Its all about what feels and sounds right to you.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 21, 2011,
Quote by mike_oxbig
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/dean-cadillac-select-electric-guitar

or that's fairly similar to a les paul if you don't want people to wonder why a "hardcore metal" guitarist is playing a jazz/country/rock guitar

You couldn't be more wrong haha, observe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE4kNkfZFOQ

Honestly, if you like the les paul, get a les paul. You can't go wrong.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by DarkWaysLight
Yo!!!

Oh my
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
If a Les Paul is what you want and you've been happy enough with your Epiphone until now, why not just buy one of the nicer Epiphones?
Quote by gucio93
You couldn't be more wrong haha, observe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE4kNkfZFOQ

Honestly, if you like the les paul, get a les paul. You can't go wrong.

remind me to never click on your links
that was painful

although yes, he was "playing" a les paul. point taken. i guess les pauls aren't only for musicians after all.
new ibanez x-series seems to be a good fit...
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
Epi Les Paul Prophecy would work well...

I absolutely love mine.
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by mike_oxbig
remind me to never click on your links
that was painful

although yes, he was "playing" a les paul. point taken. i guess les pauls aren't only for musicians after all.

>Implying me posting a random intensely heavy hardcore band playing a les paul to make a point reflects all of my musical/video tastes.

Edit: how much more hardcore can you get really? nothing gets more aggressive than what i posted and it's being done on a stock gibson les paul. if it can do that and can also do rock and jazz, i'm pretty sure it can do anything between both ends of the spectrum as well.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Last edited by gucio93 at Dec 23, 2011,