Hello, aint posted here in a while.

At the moment, I think Ive learnt a majority of songs I want to learn on E standard and was thinking about getting my guitar sorted for D standard/ Drop C tunning but there are some things which have confussed me.

I read somewhere that tunning from drop C to D standard can damage the guitar somehow, can someone explain how this happens? Also can tunning from D standard to E standard also damage my guitar in the same way? I was planning on doing this too if I get bored of one tunning.

My guitar is a Hagstrom Ultra Swede and has a Tune-O-Matic bridge (I believe this is an issue with the question so I thought id include it)
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
D tuning is no big deal, you can leave the same strings you have on and just lower the tuning.

you're not gonna damage your guitar by tuning normal strings down to C tuning, but they'll be too loose and it will sound like shit

if you want to play low tuning, get heavy strings so they'll be tight. But when you put heavy strings on, you shouldn't put it back in standard tuning because you'll be putting a lot more tension than normal on your neck.
Quote by mike_oxbig

you're not gonna damage your guitar by tuning normal strings down to C tuning, but they'll be too loose and it will sound like shit

This is complete shit sorry.
The truss rod has been set up for the tension your current strings apply in standart tuning to your neck. By lowering the tension and without changing the truss rod setup, your neck will just bow upwards. This causes a high action, especially on the higher frets. It can also happen that your neck will wind in itself causing fret buzz and so on. If I were you I would buy thicker strings and take the guitar to a local shop so they can setup it up for d standart or drop c.
It won't damage it.
Go ahead and try changing tunings, the only thing is that the strings might be too loose if you use a very light gauge of string. But again, go ahead and try and see.

Quote by BSPDelta09
By lowering the tension and without changing the truss rod setup, your neck will just bow upwards. This causes a high action, especially on the higher frets. It can also happen that your neck will wind in itself causing fret buzz and so on.

So what if I were to take the strings off my guitar? Would the neck explode?

Come on bro a guitar neck is a steel rod encased in solid maple. It can handle the, like, 5 lbs of pressure difference from changing tunings without extreme bowing.
Any fret buzz will be from the looseness of the strings (if they're light gauge).

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Last edited by jthm_guitarist at Dec 21, 2011,
Quote by BSPDelta09
This is complete shit sorry.
The truss rod has been set up for the tension your current strings apply in standart tuning to your neck. By lowering the tension and without changing the truss rod setup, your neck will just bow upwards. This causes a high action, especially on the higher frets. It can also happen that your neck will wind in itself causing fret buzz and so on. If I were you I would buy thicker strings and take the guitar to a local shop so they can setup it up for d standart or drop c.

think about that one. by relieving string tension, your neck is going to bow upwards more than if the strings were pulling on it?

i had no idea that without some good old load-bearing strings the guitar would naturally try to curl up into a C shape. Good to know.
Erm okay.

I was going to change the strings for lower tunings anyway. Currently use super slinky (9-42) and I believe that for D standard I need 10-52 gauge strings (right?), so I was going to take it to a shop to sort my guitar truss rod. Im just curious if can alter my tunnings from D standard to E standard/Drop C without damaging my guitar
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
if you use medium gauge strings you'll be able to play most tunings half assed

if you're really picky you'll want specific gauged strings depending on what tuning you'll be playing in. mediums are the most versatile.
Quote by Sadokun
Im just curious if can alter my tunnings from D standard to E standard/Drop C without damaging my guitar

I promise you nothing bad will happen

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.