I always hear people say your frontal lobes are not fully developed until you're 25. Is it possible that the frontal lobes may be fully developed years before or years after that age? I hate the idea of 25 being the magic number. I like to think it's a different age for everybody. Is there a way to tell if they are fully developed or not?
nope, with numbers like that regarding development, everything is exactly the same, always.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
nope, with numbers like that regarding development, everything is exactly the same, always.

This. I actually turned 25 a few weeks ago and the moment I woke up on my birthday, I felt my frontal lobes were fully developed at last.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Your brain is never fully developed. If it were you wouldn't be able to learn anything new.

It seems to be a classic excuse to belittle younger people by bringing up the frontal lobe statistics. I know so many people over age 25 who act no different than 15 year olds. I'm starting to believe the development of the frontal lobes doesn't have much to do with the person's thought process.
Quote by MiserySignals11
It seems to be a classic excuse to belittle younger people by bringing up the frontal lobe statistics. I know so many people over age 25 who act no different than 15 year olds. I'm starting to believe the development of the frontal lobes doesn't have much to do with the person's thought process.

I don't think it has anything to do with maturity, which is what you described sounds like.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Development of the brain only has implications for your own intelligence, it doesn't say anything about the relationship between your intelligence and that of someone else who is younger or older. Saying that a younger person is dumber because his/her brains is less developed is a logical fallacy.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by Kensai
This. I actually turned 25 a few weeks ago and the moment I woke up on my birthday, I felt my frontal lobes were fully developed at last.

Basically this. Where I live almost everyone goes for a frontal lobe scan 6 months after their 12th birthday, to make sure the frontal lobes are exactly 50% the size they should be.
Quote by WCPhils
I don't think it has anything to do with maturity, which is what you described sounds like.

It's what I hear older people talk about all the time. If someone gets arrested, they'll say "his frontal lobes aren't developed yet, which is why he is doing risky things". I hate being compared to losers who sit on their ass playing world of warcraft all day in their mom's basement just because they share the same age as me.
Quote by MiserySignals11
It's what I hear older people talk about all the time. If someone gets arrested, they'll say "his frontal lobes aren't developed yet, which is why he is doing risky things". I hate being compared to losers who sit on their ass playing world of warcraft all day in their mom's basement just because they share the same age as me.

Doing risky things is something that comes with being young... saying the frontal lobe has everything to do with it is ridiculous
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by MiserySignals11

Don't be so defensive, develop ur frontal lobes for once.

Those reactions have often more to do with the limbic system (amygdala).

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by MiserySignals11

You consider yourself a "relationship consultant" and say you haven't been in a relationship and you also believe to understand all relationships.

You're a fuking joke. You have no frontal lobes.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by MiserySignals11

Yea, I see what you mean. That sucks.

Quote by CrunchyRoll
You consider yourself a "relationship consultant" and say you haven't been in a relationship and you also believe to understand all relationships.

I think it's a joke.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by CrunchyRoll

Did you read the link in my sig? I think you're the one who has no frontal lobes. Your language proves it.

Quote by WCPhils
Yea, I see what you mean. That sucks.

I think it's a joke.

It's a lot of things, but mostly irony.
Quote by CrunchyRoll

To add to this.

Relationships can't be understood. It's part of love (if we are talking about true love that is)

Love is a combination of the 4 base emotions (happy, sad, fear, anger) so it's inherently of confusing.

The only thing to understand is to keep it balanced.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
To add to this.

Relationships can't be understood. It's part of love (if we are talking about true love that is)

Love is a combination of the 4 base emotions (happy, sad, fear, anger) so it's inherently of confusing.

The only thing to understand is to keep it balanced.

This. All I did was explain that relationships really aren't as complicated as most people say they are. My user title is irony. It's like when Morrissey wears an American Idol t shirt, even though he hates the show.
Quote by WCPhils

I think it's a joke.

It's not a joke.

Quote by MiserySignals11
Did you read the link in my sig? I think you're the one who has no frontal lobes. Your language proves it.

I've read the RT for years.

Quote by MiserySignals11
This. All I did was explain that relationships really aren't as complicated as most people say they are. My user title is irony. It's like when Morrissey wears an American Idol t shirt, even though he hates the show.

They can be quite complex when you reach adulthood.
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
As a(n aspiring) neuroscientist, I can safely say that the statement "your frontal lobes aren't fully developed until you're 25" is false. People like that usually also quote the "SUCK AT MATH? GUESS YOU'RE RIGHT BRAIN IS UNDERDEVELOPED" and "Try using more than 20% of your brain for once"
Military use of children?

Infantry.
Quote by CrunchyRoll
It's not a joke.

Can't tell if trolling

Or just stupid.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by CrunchyRoll
They can be quite complex when you reach adulthood.

They are only as complexed as you see them to be. For the record, I'm pretty sure adults don't use the f word when trying to look smart.
4 years to go until I complete my evolution !!!!!!!

And then I'll be .... so ... well ... my frontal lobe will be fully developped
- - - - - - - - - - -
Quote by MiserySignals11
They are only as complexed as you see them to be. For the record, I'm pretty sure adults don't use the f word when trying to look smart.

I'm not trying to look smart. I'm just basking in the irony of your thread. Complaining that others view you as young or immature when you think you are not -- when in fact you are.
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not trying to look smart. I'm just basking in the irony of your thread. Complaining that others view you as young or immature when you think you are not -- when in fact you are.

Irony isn't a bad thing. Your reaction could have been written by a 14 year old. Learn to read between the lines and stop the insults.
Quote by the bartender
Development of the brain only has implications for your own intelligence, it doesn't say anything about the relationship between your intelligence and that of someone else who is younger or older. Saying that a younger person is dumber because his/her brains is less developed is a logical fallacy.

Exactemendo.

Kind of like saying if you have a bigger brain you're smarter.

Well would you say the same to an autistic 12 year old who can do lightning fast mathematical equations and all sorts of highly analytical tasks?

It's not what you have folks, it's how you use it.