I'm looking for a bass, that I'd use to play rock and metal music.
I've considered a Rickenbacker, buy they are very expensive (and hard to find where I live), and are they worth the money and effort to get one?

To get a picture of the sound I'm looking for in a bass, think Black Sabbath, Metallica and/or Iron Maiden.

Thanks in advance
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
A precision, except it mightn't do Metallica so well. Maybe a precision special (the one with a jazz pickup in the bridge position)? Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden both used precisions (not all the time, but they did).
Quote by rageahol
A precision, except it mightn't do Metallica so well. Maybe a precision special (the one with a jazz pickup in the bridge position)? Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden both used precisions (not all the time, but they did).

I'll look into those, thank you
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
yup a squier VM/CV P, all the classic sabbath is a fender P bass, and Iron maiden too.

Use flats, play with your fingers and play over the pickup or close/over the neck.
would also suggest an epi thunderbird...cool basses for rock and metal
Quote by '93

I'd suggest not taking '93s advice.
Cliff used a rickenbacker sometimes, and geezer used one early on. Steve Harris uses p basses, and geezer uses lakland p bass style basses. I would probably go with what rageahol suggested with the precision special, or a fender jazz
What's your budget? That would give us a better idea
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
What's your budget? That would give us a better idea

I've got about 1700 € right now, but I wouldn't be spending it all on the bass, but I do have that amount at my disposal.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You currently have another thread open about acoustic basses and practice amps, you have a fender rumble 350 amp which is an ok amp. What bass do you have now? It seems you might be better off selling your current amp, and using the money to buy a nicer amp and bass, I would go buy a Rickenbacker to play a fender rumble.

Skip the acoustic, and get maybe a small bass combo with headphone and CD in for practice. As you said you don't have to spend all 1700.

You might if you trade in or sell the old amp be able to swing a deal for a new bass and amp and get a practice amp/something with it for doing a big purchase.
You can make pretty much any bass play metal and rock. If you want a lo-fi old school sound (like real old school pre-80s) you want a P bass with flatwound strings and passive pick ups and crank the shit out of a tube amp. If you want a more modern sound get any active bass.

Quote by SGRocker400
Cliff used a rickenbacker sometimes, and geezer used one early on. Steve Harris uses p basses, and geezer uses lakland p bass style basses. I would probably go with what rageahol suggested with the precision special, or a fender jazz

I dunno man Geezer was a broke ass dude in the early days I really doubt he could have afforded a Ric, he couldn't even afford strings. Cliff used one early on but it was modified heavily and did not quite sound like a typical Ric.
Cliff is hardly somebody to shape your playing after anyway. Jason used a P-bass on at least some of the records I know of (a Sadowsky, I believe).
Didn't Butler first play a down tuned tele with missing strings, then moved onto a 3 string hofner beatle bass he borrowed and couldn't afford strings, then got enough money for a P bass and played it until he went custom.
Quote by '93

i think he has the money for a gibson T-bird
Quote by andreww1996
i think he has the money for a gibson T-bird

get neither.

old school sound a P-bass would be better. new school might warrant a high end Ibanez or Warwick.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by askrere
I'd suggest not taking '93s advice.

I'd suggest taking askrere's advice - Thunderbirds don't have a great rep in the bass world.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Getcha something with either p-bass pickups in it or humbuckers.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Idk maybe it's just me, but I get kind of disappointed when people come ask for advice on a bass or amp and never say what happened of it. Oh well...
this is just as sad as TB's "what's the best bass for metal" weekly threads that get a few sarcastic answers then die.

everyone knows that for rock, SURE, you can play anything...but for REAL METAL, it has to LOOK the part!!!

Thank you Mr. Vincent for your leftovers to add to my METAL BASS collection

That is indisputably one of the most revolting instruments I've seen all week. It'd probably win if it wasn't for that unfortunate glimpse of a wishbass I caught last night.
Quote by the humanity
get neither.

old school sound a P-bass would be better. new school might warrant a high end Ibanez or Warwick.

I'd agree with this. Maybe throwing a Musicman Stingray into the mix too.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Music Man basses are nice, but you also can't go wrong with a Fender P-Bass. Just stay away from the Thunderbird. There's a reason almost nobody plays them.
Quote by Ziphoblat
That is indisputably one of the most revolting instruments I've seen all week. It'd probably win if it wasn't for that unfortunate glimpse of a wishbass I caught last night.

Well it's not as bad as most boutique basses with natural finishes and pick ups painted in some faux wood grain and gold hardware.
Quote by BlackVoid
Well it's not as bad as most boutique basses with natural finishes and pick ups painted in some faux wood grain and gold hardware.

+1

if it's a SHOW your putting on, ( AKA any band including good ole Kiss ), isn't that the point of a unit matching your clothes/gear/show?

ho-hum boring Pbass just don't cut it unless you set it on fire, and a booteek monstrosity is just as "out of place"
Quote by BlackVoid

I'd have to disagree, it's all personal preference of course, but though I usually dislike those sorts of boutique basses, for me silly metal things like that one really takes the biscuit. Of course, sound is more important (and that thing probably sounds better than most boutique basses).

If you rely upon the visual appearance of your equipment to make your show worthwhile, I'd say that you're probably approaching dealing with the issue in the wrong way. Iron Maiden can rock out with strats and a P-bass, so that's good enough for me.
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Jan 13, 2012,
oh for sure, personal preference... Ziphobat, I hate to say it but that damn thing sound so "different" than my p-basses it will be a while before the honeymoon is over.

p.s. I was in a maiden tribute band here for 5 years from 95 to 2000, and used a Jackson TBX... never bothered the audience a bit
metal these days doesn't need bass... look at Metallica post Cliff....Hetfield consistently drowned the bass out.... besides with the layers of down-tuned drop-C & B distorted guitar and the bass heavy growling- unintelligible and incoherent singing style of most metal these days- you'll never hear it anyway....adding a bassline is like pouring used motor oil in already muddy'd water.
Last edited by jtkguitar at Jan 13, 2012,
Quote by amimbari
p.s. I was in a maiden tribute band here for 5 years from 95 to 2000, and used a Jackson TBX... never bothered the audience a bit

not surprised- as long as it works and sounds good when you play, it usually doesn't matter to them much what you play.

now what you play does matter for letting you fit into the song how you want to, and how it looks matters for what you plan on doing.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by ChamsRock
Music Man basses are nice, but you also can't go wrong with a Fender P-Bass. Just stay away from the Thunderbird. There's a reason almost nobody plays them.

T-birds you either love or hate 'um - me, I'm in the first camp - not very keep on Epi's (only ever found one I liked), but Gibson's are great and Tokai are good. Try one, if you get on with them great, if not avoid. (tip: broad leather strap avoids most neck dive problems)

Ric's ok for rock, not sure about (hardcore) metal - where do you live? Have heard reports from regular gigging bassists that repeated cold/hot van to venue every night, plays havoc with their necks. Twin trust rods can be a b**** unless you know (or know someone) who sets um well. Lemmy always sounds great.

P-bass (at the risk of wrath) I'm not a Fender man, but a good p-bass would work. Generally I'd go for MusicMan - can get similar sound, more sound variety, & capable of more modern tones.

J-bass didn't like mine for these genes, depends where you want to be in the mix - YMMV

MusicMan, Warwick, Spector all should cover both well.

One final note: both amp and bass, form part of your sound. Once you've found you bass, find the right amp - not heard a Fender Rumble (I think another post refers to you having one of these), but from other Fender amps, expect this as a good starting point.
People always talk about Musicman basses sounding like P-basses and I have no idea where they're getting that from at all.
Quote by Ziphoblat
People always talk about Musicman basses sounding like P-basses and I have no idea where they're getting that from at all.

You can get a stingray to sound like almost anything. But most people just stick with the normal stringray sound cuz it's awesome.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
You can get a stingray to sound like almost anything. But most people just stick with the normal stringray sound cuz it's awesome.

That's not my experience at all. I've owned one, and the sounds I could get out of it were "the Stingray sound" and that was about it. Rolling the treble down did little but create a nasty muddy mess that sat awfully in a mix imo.
Quote by Ziphoblat
That's not my experience at all. I've owned one, and the sounds I could get out of it were "the Stingray sound" and that was about it. Rolling the treble down did little but create a nasty muddy mess that sat awfully in a mix imo.

Yup, as a proud Stingray owner - it sounds great in almost all situations, but it's always going to sound like a Stingray.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
I'd seriously go for a P bass or a Warwick. Every time I go to GC or a local music store I always play a P bass. I love the tone with the tone knob all the way open. It's so aggressive and chunky.
Warwicks also have an aggressive tone. They have that signature growl. Listen to this! :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSWtwGSDVkc
Main Basses:
Warwick RB Corvette 5
Douglas Sculptor 825 NA Fretless 5

Main Rig:
Sansamp>GK Backline 600>2 GK BLX 210 Cabinets
you really cant go wrong with a P-bass in this case. Geezer used a pbass on all the early sabbath albums, and uses a P-style lakland these days. Steve Harris of Iron Maiden has used a P-bass for a long time, and even has a sig bass with fender. The P could most likely pull some metallica off as well.

Forget the thunderbird, it wont get you those sounds you are after. Also forget about the suggestions for a "crazy metal shape". Nearly all of those type of basses are super uncomfortable to play. Just slap a mirror pickguard on your P and you will be plenty "metal".
Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd have to disagree, it's all personal preference of course, but though I usually dislike those sorts of boutique basses, for me silly metal things like that one really takes the biscuit. Of course, sound is more important (and that thing probably sounds better than most boutique basses).

If you rely upon the visual appearance of your equipment to make your show worthwhile, I'd say that you're probably approaching dealing with the issue in the wrong way. Iron Maiden can rock out with strats and a P-bass, so that's good enough for me.

Sunn O))) rocks...er...drones out with at least a gold top les paul. I can't remember what else was used when I saw them. Totally not what you would think.
Quote by jtkguitar
metal these days doesn't need bass... look at Metallica post Cliff....Hetfield consistently drowned the bass out.... besides with the layers of down-tuned drop-C & B distorted guitar and the bass heavy growling- unintelligible and incoherent singing style of most metal these days- you'll never hear it anyway....adding a bassline is like pouring used motor oil in already muddy'd water.

I have to disagree with you on that one it relly depends what your are listeing to. Sure stuff like those sream bands yah, but bands like mudvane have great bass parts hell even avenged sevenfolds bass is good I think its that just most metal bassist stick with the boring simple stuff that goes unoted