I've been looking at the VT15 and VT20+, anyone care to tell me their differences in sound?

Or if anyone has any other suggestions for similar amps, my budget is 200 dollars.
the only difference is gonna be the number of amp models and effects... but at $200 I would NOT recommend these amps, I have owned them and sold them shortly for a tube amp. get something fully tube brotha, you wont regret it. Bugera V5, Vox AC4TV. I would HIGHLY recommend both of those over the valvetronix series.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?sB=r&question=tube+combo#fT=&gP=1&pS=20&v=g&sB=pLH&lP=s&question=tube_combo
Last edited by skater7512 at Dec 21, 2011,
Quote by skater7512
the only difference is gonna be the number of amp models and effects... but at $200 I would NOT recommend these amps, I have owned them and sold them shortly for a tube amp. get something fully tube brotha, you wont regret it. Bugera V5, Vox AC4TV. I would HIGHLY recommend both of those over the valvetronix series.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?sB=r&question=tube+combo#fT=&gP=1&pS=20&v=g&sB=pLH&lP=s&question=tube_combo

i don't have a problem with mine, and i love screwing around with some of the effects, but i do like my Epi Valve Junior more and use it for playing live.
i agree with the post about going tube, you'll always be happier with that in the end. however, if u prefer to have a smaller, practice amp with as much as possible in it i would recommend the fender mustang series
Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna give all of them a run through (VT20+, Mustang I, Bugera BC 15) when I go next week.

I was looking at the Vox because my guitar teacher suggested them, and he said that modeling amps are cool.
I'd take the Bc15 any day of the week, but the Valvetronix really are nice for what they are. Lots of not-bad tones in a small and light package, ideal for practice where you need versatility.
Tube amps are the beast (sorry...best !!) but your family will hate you at times, so the vox vt20+ was brought home....fits perfectly into the front room, headphones at times...AND YOU CAN TURN DOWN THE VOLUME and still keep some of the intended sound which my tube amps can't do as well, no they aren't the same at all but as a utility amp they're the buisness, only worry is the build quality, have you seen some of the mentions on the net re: oxi in the soldering..aux and headphone sockets falling apart...come on, so it only cost £130, u should still get a product that will last 10 yearsor more if u take care of it, just cuz they cant put them together properly is no excuse, or the parts are substandard, throw an extra £10 on and use decent parts !! otherwise put a sticker on it saying, might break in a month cuz we had a rainy day and you only paid £xxx.xx for it so don't gripe, now that p****% me off
I still have and use my Valvetronix 30.
Takes pedals well IMO.

The VT+ models AFAIK off more effects and amp models.

While the AC4 was mentioned, if this is your first amp, I would not suggest it.
I think its best to get something more versatile to find out what kind of sound you really want.
I've been using a VT40+ recently and it has an excellent range of tones. The only problem I've found with it is that when you switch between some of the different options the volume changes significantly. Other than that, I've found it pretty faultless and would recommend it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
I've been using a VT40+ recently and it has an excellent range of tones. The only problem I've found with it is that when you switch between some of the different options the volume changes significantly. Other than that, I've found it pretty faultless and would recommend it.

My VT30 is the same way.
Something to do with default gain/volume setting.
Solution, just move the volume/gain knob a bit.
Not a gig friendly way, but I never really considered the VT series gig amps (Although I have used the VT30 and VT50 at gigs).
I love my AC4...but it really depends on what you're looking to play.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
I think the Vox VT series is great, and the added effects are nice. I would go with the VT20+.
I have the VT20 but just upgraded to an all tube amp. The VT is great BUT it has WAY more options than I would ever use... 33 amp presets? Come on... Some of the effects are not done well, I'm looking at you Wah effect!!!

It's got a ton of metal presets that I don't use since I don't play metal.

The volume change when switching can be annoying and loud.

All together, it's sound is pretty good though, clean and distorted.

I think they are selling the Fender Vibro champ for $150!! It's a tube amp with digital effects, can't do distortion without a pedal though.

VT20+ has 5 more watts plus it can be pushed to 30 watts if need be, the 15 can't and has less effects.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Quote by i3oosted
I have the VT20 but just upgraded to an all tube amp. The VT is great BUT it has WAY more options than I would ever use... 33 amp presets? Come on... Some of the effects are not done well, I'm looking at you Wah effect!!!

It's got a ton of metal presets that I don't use since I don't play metal.

The volume change when switching can be annoying and loud.

All together, it's sound is pretty good though, clean and distorted.

I think they are selling the Fender Vibro champ for $150!! It's a tube amp with digital effects, can't do distortion without a pedal though.

VT20+ has 5 more watts plus it can be pushed to 30 watts if need be, the 15 can't and has less effects.

The reverb was pretty much the only effect I ever used on my VT30.
Mine is the older one, 11 amps, 11 effects (I think).
I usually keep it on an AC30 setting.
I agree the wah, far to much high end for me.
The flange isn't to bad though IMO.

I'll do the metal ones when I'm just fucking around by myself.

I don't use it much these days though since I got an AC30
Quote by i3oosted
Some of the effects are not done well, I'm looking at you Wah effect!!!
Definitely agree with this - the rest are fairly good though.

Quote by CodeMonk
Solution, just move the volume/gain knob a bit.

This is the answer to 100s of threads! I only mentioned it because it's a bit of a pain if you want to switch models mid-song.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
It all depends what you want - if you know exactly the sound you're looking for then you might as well hunt round for a nice little tube amp that does the job.

If you just want a little amp for noodling around with and want a few sounds at your disposal then you're better off with a modeller - horses for courses and all that.

I firmly believe that tube amps sound better and respond better, but if someone is only going to have one amp and wants versatility then often a modeller is a far more sensible chocie.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by GaryBillington
Definitely agree with this - the rest are fairly good though.

This is the answer to 100s of threads! I only mentioned it because it's a bit of a pain if you want to switch models mid-song.

Yeah I know it sucks.
Modeling amps other than the reallllly nice ones, are just practice tools.

Get the one with a 10" speaker.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I personally passionately hate the VT line.
They sound quite good clean, but overall they sound like toys to me.
We have a VT50 at school and a Behringer V-Amp and I'm always shocked about how much better the Behringer sounds.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz