Alright, I gotta write a fugue before the end of the year for my graduation portfolio. If I don't do it now, I'll never get around to it. Anyone wanna join me? We could each write one and post our progress here. Could be fun...

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I need to write a canon, a fugue couldn't hurt, you will have to teach me your ways though I haven't looked at fugues outside my theory lectures.
Quote by griffRG7321
I need to write a canon, a fugue couldn't hurt, you will have to teach me your ways though I haven't looked at fugues outside my theory lectures.

Well, I know I kinda told you guys I'd go over fugues sometimes, and never had time for that, so how bout now?

And I think the best way is to just start trying it out and then we'll all just kinda learn as we do it. Maybe post a screenshot of whatever you have so far/what you're stuck on, etc and then break it down from there.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by L2112Lif
I've written a few before for my highschool. Its best to start out with a few short melodies, and then expand from there.

Usually eight or so, a melody and a countermelody, so four expositions is how I go about it.

I wouldn't really approach this kind of writing with the term "melody" in mind. To me, a melody has a definite, encapsulated identity.

With fugues and other contrapuntal music, I think of it as lines. A melody is a solid object. A line, on the other hand, can go on forever and change what it's doing to adapt.

Quote by DiminishedFifth
If you would go over how to write a fugue I could do it with you... as I don't have the slightest

Ok, I'll start later today or tomorrow and kinda explain my thought process and then you guys can get started based on that.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I took a music appreciation class last semester where we studied the different eras of classical music and even though they were discussed I still have no idea what a fugue is. I'm very much looking forward to your explanation.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
^A fugue is problem solving.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I studied a Bach fugue in class a year or so ago. I can kinda remember analyzing it and finding motif fragments in places and looking at the various voices. But I've never tried writing one before. And I have nothing better to to tbh since I'm on holiday. Teach us your ways Xiaoxi.
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
I studied a Bach fugue in class a year or so ago. I can kinda remember analyzing it and finding motif fragments in places and looking at the various voices. But I've never tried writing one before. And I have nothing better to to tbh since I'm on holiday. Teach us your ways Xiaoxi.

In a good fugue, you don't really need to find fragments of a motif. The entire thing is one giant idea, completely developed.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
God dammit, you keep dropping these tantalizing hints.

Yea I'm such a Bachtease.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Keth
So.. you...

want to write a fugue?

my exact thoughts

fugues are weird beasts. i'll join in; i have a vague understanding of them but i'll join in the line for xiaoxi's input as usual
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Do you want us to write fugues so you can claim them as your own?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
Do you want us to write fugues so you can claim them as your own?

Nope. Usually people are paying me to write their final counterpoint projects.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You know, I actually listened to that for the first time just now, and it was not at all what I was expecting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgDcC2LOJhQ

That's a lot better.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
"We're going to start this fugue by having the bass line play the theme in the tonic of the key of D minor in an extremely low register, because i think it's funnier that way."

Sorry for the delay guys, I'm finishing up a score for my friend's bizarre short film. The acting is atrocious, my god...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Sorry for the delay guys, I'm finishing up a score for my friend's bizarre short film. The acting is atrocious, my god...

if there's a sex scene, you're obligated to throw in a funk jam on general principal.

due to sleep deprivation last night i had a weird lucid-ish kinda dream and wrote a pretty interesting little piece in my head for a fugue with contemporary instruments, but lost it by the time i got in the shower in the morning. hate my life
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Canon's going well, looking forward to starting this fugue.

Anyone got any tips on writing mensuration canons? Total mindfvck...

Quote by Xiaoxi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyophYBP_w4
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Dec 23, 2011,
^Yeah, it's about the same caliber here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf83CUryO9M

And nope, you're on your own with canons man. They're my Achilles's heel. But hey, you could probably use the start of your canon as the fugue subject.

Anyways, I'm finishing up the exposition on my fugue. Will post a new thread so everyone can start soon!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
And nope, you're on your own with canons man. They're my Achilles's heel. But hey, you could probably use the start of your canon as the fugue subject.

I actually wrote the fugue subject and thought "Not entirely sure what to do after I've done the answer...hmmm, this is looking awfully canon like..."

So because of this thread I actually made a start of my composition coursework
Check out Missa l'homme armé super voces musicales-Agnus Dei , by Josquin. A 3 voice mensuration. Xiaoxi mentioned Missa prolationum by Johannes Ockeghem the other day too, which is just ridiculous.